We Need Your Help!

MikeSepich

WE NEED YOUR HELP!

The San Antonio Speedway Late Model Division 2005 and beyond rule book is a BLANK piece of paper! We very simply have NO rulebook, just some ideas.

Our staff has tried for the past several days to get in touch with Late Model and Super Street Stock drivers and car owners but have had limited success. Many of the phone numbers that we have are inaccurate or phones were left unanswered.

On Sunday January 9, 2005 (tomorrow) at 11:00 A.M. there will be a meeting seeking driver/owner input for a brand new rulebook for the feature division. The intent of this important meeting is for the drivers/owners who spend the thousands of dollars to build and race these cars the opportunity to be part of the rules making process. It makes no difference what car, track or series you are currently running with or want to in the future or if you own a 15 year old car or a brand new state of the art car, we need YOUR input. We hope to be able to include in the rules making process; different chassis styles, wheelbase lengths, heads, blocks, transmissions, clutches, and other components that are currently being used or sitting around in the garage collecting dust because of former rules changes. The ultimate goal is to make Late Model style racing at San Antonio Speedway fair, fun, competitive and affordable again without anymore rules changes in the future.

Please attend this meeting if at all possible and if you personally can not attend send a representative in your behalf to express your thoughts. If that is not possible then call Mike Sepich 210-829-0405 Paul Lozano 210-365-5945, or send email to mikesepich@swbell.net

Thanks

Mike Sepich

It would kinda make since to start over with the rules from the Texas Challenge or even use the CC Lm race rules. Only change the tire. Seemed like at both races they had a bunch of different cars running together at the same time. Just my 2 cents.

Ooops I guess I should have read the fine print. Before I get bombarded with PM's telling me I don't know what I'm talking about because I don't own a car at SAS, I'll just tell everyone to disregard my previous post.

I dont race at san antonio but have a car that is legal to run there. The track I am running at this year which is nascar sanctioned has a 2- tire a week rule. I dont know if yall have this rule or any rule on tires but I think it is an excellent rule too cut the cost down. Aganin I do not know what yall tire rule is but just wanted to give you my opinion. -Colt

Guest The_Greek

what happened with all the TTOPA talks? wasnt that one of the primary goals was to come up with a common rule book between the 2 or 3 tracks?

what happened with all the TTOPA talks? wasnt that one of the primary goals was to come up with a common rule book between the 2 or 3 tracks?

Yes, that is one of the TTOPA goals and we have been having very cooperative discussions for some time now. Seeking input from drivers and teams is never a bad thing.

Nick Holt

On behalf of the San Antonio Speedway staff and officials, I'd like to thank all of the drivers for their valuable input at the meeting today. Together I hope we can grow the Late Model class (and the others too) during the upcoming season and beyond.

Please look in the Press Release section for a brief summary of the discussions during the meeting. The final rules will be releasesd at our banquet on Saturday night (January 15).

Mike, the assumptions that RACECAR25 and Rebelracewriter made about the Nascar rules are maybe one of the reasons SAS has had car count problems. Just that ASSUMPTIONS. The only thing that can kill assumptions is having someone to explain what it means to be a Nascar track. Sorry Colt, the true NASCAR LATEMODEL is dead at SAS.

That "true" NASCAR latemodel was only run at 1 track in this area. There are MANY more TSRS/THR type LM's than "true" NASCAR latemodels in this area. Atleast they are going to let those guys run. Who cares about NASCAR. NASCAR doesn't care about you or its weekly tracks.

Sorry Jason, I guess the $1,500,000+ point fund that Nascar puts together or the National championship winners part of $150,000+, or the regionals $45,000+ show how much they don't care about the weekly series. I guess tell Brandon and Larry Bendele, Paul White and all the other racers who stood on the stage and accepted these funds how much Nascar doesn't care. If everyone understood the true Nascar rules and the point system SAS would have the largest number of Latemodels. Nascar frowns on the top class being on 8" tires(they tolerate modifieds) since most all the other classes at the highest level are 10" tire cars.

All the racers that have raced at SAS since becoming a Nascar track have made more points fund money than all the asphalt and alot of the dirt tracks put together and it will take them years to even catch up. Sounds like you are making assumptions now Jason. Do you understand the system, probably not. You know why, because there is no one explaining it or care to explain. Like the evil joke around the area, the best kept secret in Texas racing.

Yea but with the CPI you need car count in order to compete with the tracks like Irwindale that are in the same region. How are you going to crown a sunbelt or national champion with 10 cars each week? YOUR NOT. Of coarse we could leave it all the same and have Brandon be the last Sunbelt champion to come out of SAS for a long long time because the car count sucks so bad (not a Brandon diss just saying if they want another champion they need to make changes). Face it changes needed to be made and they were made. Good job Mike.

By the way fishyracer. I do know the system very well. What do you think I based the Street Stock system on that I did for a good part of last season? Maybe you are the one making blind assumptions. Oh yea 1.5 Mil is NOTHING to NASCAR. I am sure Dodge puts up that money anyways.

Robert how many times this year did the NASCAR Southeast Series winners share come close to that of ROMCO? Hell look at their North West series and how much they pay out to the winner of most of their races.

Again good job Mike on making the changes.

Lets get ready for an awesome 2005 season!

Jason

Payout in the SE series was no different than in ROMCO last year, The speedways such as kentucky, and Nashville paid a lil more, but all in all it's about the same.

but..........i forgot to mention that from 10th place on back paid a little more than romco. But this year, with USRA, they are lookin' to improve the payout for those who finish outside of the top 10. I think that will encourage more drivers to participate, along with the chance to double your $$$ if you choose to go to the back. I think this season is going to be a dramatic change for the better for the series.

I rarely post an opinion on Texas Speed Zone, but I feel my statement is more of a fact than an opinion. To keep things "as is" with the SAS Late Models was not a legitimate option. Mike started the meeting by saying that the track would remain open for special event racing only if we didn't continue to have a feature division. We knew that we could barely count on a field of ten cars with the previous set of rules. It was a matter of what needed to be changed, not whether or not changes needed to be made. NASCAR only gives us guidelines but not specific rules. And as stated before, the drivers suggested and agreed on the changes. Votes were even taken several times during the meeting. We knew everyone wouldn't agree with the changes, but we had to go with the majority.

"Fishracer," although I don't know who you are, I wish you would at least give these changes a chance to work. Again, we had to do something. And feel free to talk with Mike or Paul personally about your concerns. They are really trying to get different views from the drivers, assuming you're a current or potential SAS Late Model driver??

And to address another point made by Jason . . . NASCAR does care. They have just added some key people dedicated to the NASCAR Dodge Weekly Series. I think it will take some time before we really feel the effects of those changes. I think the summits in Las Vegas and Daytona are a good start. To quote Mike Helton's speech (president of NASCAR) at the Las Vegas summit last month, "The NASCAR Dodge Weekly Series is vital to our business. It's the heart and soul of NASCAR. We know short tracks are the grass roots for NASCAR." I was impressed that he even showed up to speak with us . . . it had to mean something.

Jason is 100% correct about CPI. . . we do need car count to produce another regional or national champion. At a minimum, we had to make some changes just to keep the gates open.

i myself would have rether seen a tire rule or something like that insted of 8'' tire rule ive sean the head tech man inaction i know he could handle keeping up with the tires.but 450.0 to win give me a break it should pay at least 1000.0 to win 150.to start. have you seen how much it is to get a good motor built????

Archived