Tyler Thomas seeks 2nd win in New Smyrna Late Models

Tyler Thomas seeks 2nd win in New Smyrna Late Models, 5th in POWRi Midgets at Belle-Clair on back-to-back nights

Sept. 3, 2014 - Tyler Thomas of Collinsville, Okla., will be going for his fifth top-three in five Late Model Pro races at New Smyrna (Fla.) Speedway on Saturday and will race in the POWRi Lucas Oil National Midget Series at Belleville, Ill., on Sunday.

Thomas has one victory, two second places and a third at New Smyrna in his rookie season in stock cars and on pavement. Hes been runner-up in past two Late Model Pro races.

Im ready for another win, the 18-year-old said. I know Im capable of another win and thats the goal. The last two second places, I passed some cars. I felt pretty good about them. We just need to keep doing what were doing in the races because thats been working pretty well. The wins will come. My team really knows what theyre doing.

Thomas started eighth in his most recent Late Model race on Aug. 9 and was second by the third lap. Veteran Rich Clouser of DeLand, Fla., won.

A development driver for Florida stock car star Tim Russells team, Thomas will follow his usual path of testing on Friday at New Smyrnas half-mile track.

Weve reached the point where its a matter of getting more laps and getting the car better, which we do, Thomas said. I get more comfortable every time Im in the car.

Thomas and his Midget crew chief and owner father Brian Thomas will drive the teams car and equipment to the St. Louis area Thursday, fly to Daytona Beach and then return to St. Louis for Sundays Charlene Meents Memorial at Belle-Clair Speedway. Thomas has one victory this season and four in his career in POWRi National Midgets.

Id like win twice this weekend, he said.

Thomas hasnt raced since Aug. 26 in the Jason Leffler Memorial POWRi Midgets at Wayne County (Ill.) Speedway. He finished 12th in the feature

We won the heat and the qualifying race and started third in the Leffler, Thomas said. We were racing for second and hit a rut and stalled the motor. We were really fast and had a car capable of first or second and I didnt do a very good job of making sure we were there at the end.

For further information, go to www.tylerthomasmotorsports.com.

Archived