Canadian GP contract renewed?

Yesterday, a "Michel Boisvert" sent me a tweet saying that a Canadian GP contract announcement was coming soon....

Michel Boisvert @cheesy_poofs
@gpAmericas @Austin_F1 Expect an announcement this weekend! 10 year deal for the #GPCanada

The Canadian Grand Prix looks set to keep on to its popular place on the annual Formula 1 calendar.
Montreal race promoter Francois Dumontier has sounded alarmed in recent weeks and months, as the backing of the event by the varying levels of Canadian government was holding up the signing of a new ten-year contract beyond 2014.
But La Presse, the French-language Quebec newspaper, has now said that Formula 1 will continue at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve until 2024, “barring a catastrophe”.
“An announcement should be made [Friday] at noon at the scene of the race,” said correspondent Sebastian Templar, “ending negotiations that started almost two and half years ago.”
Templar quoted a spokesperson for Quebec’s tourism minister as hinting that there “could be good news soon” regarding the Canadian Grand Prix.
Radio Canada is also expecting the announcement to be made during a press conference on Friday. (GMM)

Canada seals new 10-year F1 deal, commits to facility improvements:

Canada will remain on the F1 calendar after it was today announced that race organisers have secured a new 10-year deal to host the race at Montreal’s Circuit Gilles Villeneuve.
It was also revealed that the new deal will see significant investment in the temporary circuit, with more than Can$30 million (€20m) set to be spent on new pit and paddock facilities and a new race control tower.
Screen Shot 2014-06-07 at 15.05.35
Facilities at the track, which are hemmed un between the track and the rowing basing used for Montreal’s 1976 Olympics have been criticised in the past as lagging well behind the standard set by more modern circuits.
The race in Montreal has featured every year but two (1987 and 2009) since 1978 and is one of the most popular on the calendar, both with fans and with F1’s teams and the travelling media.
The news has been greeted very positively by F1 itself.
It is one of the best attended races of the season in terms of the spectators on circuit and is certainly among the most popular among the F1 paddock personnel. Being a race which takes place at 8pm in Europe and 7pm in the UK it plays well with the TV public, which is still 60% based in Europe.
As with the deal at Silverstone, the length of the contract gives the promoters the assurances they need to be able to raise the finance to develop the circuit. It would be hard to do that with a shorter term contract.

....and then they penalized PEREZ, saying he changed his line and caused the incident. Holy crap! He did change his line ever so slightly, but Massa jinked hard to the right, right into him. It looked to me like Massa would have hit him even if Perez had held his line perfectly. 50/50 racing incident in my opinion, & IF a penalty was necessary, it should have been on Massa. I like Massa, and I got a chance to ask him a couple of questions in person in Austin, but I told my boy a few laps before the incident that he should watch closely, but Massa had a fast car in traffic, so the chances were high that he'd do something stupid....and voila!

Re: Montreal, yeah, I was never really worried they'd lose the race again like they did a few years ago, but I was still glad to hear of the renewal of one of my favorite races in great destination. Probably taking the family next year.

and then they penalized PEREZ, saying he changed his line and caused the incident. Holy crap! He did change his line ever so slightly, but Massa jinked hard to the right, right into him. It looked to me like Massa would have hit him even if Perez had held his line perfectly. 50/50 racing incident in my opinion, & IF a penalty was necessary, it should have been on Massa.

So let's evaluate this a second....

Massa---Williams

Perez---Force India

Do we need to go any farther than that?....lol

I see he had the stones to fire back though....

http://msn.foxsports.com/speed/formula-1/f1-perez-defends-himself-after-being-penalized-for-collision/

Archived