Air Plane Fuel

JLWelding

Back in the day we used to go to the airport on a empty tank and fuel up with ten gal. and go to the quarter mile. Can you still run air craft fuel ? The reason I ask is we have a eng. that's not real high in compression and expense wise 10.00 gal for race fuel and 5.00 gal airplane fuel I thought why not run airplane fuel.
Thanks for your thoughts

Use to run JP4 back in the day. That would be a question for the sanctioning body, but I'm guessing if they allow race fuel AvGas will be fine. However AvGas isn't what it use to be.

RAN that fuel for many years 80s till around 2008 never an issue from stock to 13to 1 compression .had to travel to buy it and the cost back then with travel was about even ..i always liked that fuel .some folks dont .never hurt to put an additive

Keep in mind that if you were to rate the octane of avgas to the same scale as automotive gas, 100ll rates out to the equivalent of 96 octane pump gas.

a little history for ya, anyone in the 60's to the 80's that used racing gas were probably using avgas without knowing it. Several racing fuel manufacturers bought avgas in bulk and mixed in their own additive packages, mostly TEL to increase the octane. Not all the manufacturers did it; I believe Sunoco and Union 76 cracked their own fuel, but most of the smaller companies bought and mixed avgas.

• 2 weeks later...

I run 50/50, 5 gallons of 110 fuel mixed with pump premium (only from new or trusted store that has clean tanks and assuredly cycles through premium fuel.)

I have found bad premium in the past from stations that don't sell it much and it gets old and gummy.

It is actually easier to get fuel than avgas here. They started tracking tail numbers and logins to activate the pumps, and it's further away.

Archived