Track Safety Poll

After sending the story out about the driver being burned to death at a Alamo Dragstrip, I had a publication(other than the RAT Traxx) ask if I'd be interested in doing a story on track safety. So I'm asking for y'alls help in compiling some info.

Remember there are tracks that read this stuff, and your input may end up saving your or someone elses life. So think about that.

Ready now?

Here's the questions.

Rate your tracks overall safety. 1-10 1=low, 10=high

State or city you race in. Track name optional, but if you race more than one track try to separate them.

Do you feel what they have is adequate for any emergency?

What would you like to see them add?

Have you ever loaded up or not raced a track because of safety issues?

Have you ever approached the track about your concerns?

Maybe one of the moderators will lock this down for several days.

PS Tracks owners/promoters are encouraged to give their views also.

Thanx for the help, your opinions are valued.

J M Hallas

RAT Traxx racing paper

I race SAS

I would give them a 7

I am fine with the saftey equipment required by the track. I think that pit safety may need a little beefing up.

Maybe more pit stewards that actually stay in the pits. I have seen other drivers pits without the required fire extinguisher. I would like to see mandatory inspection of every cars safety equipment before every race.

I HAVE A BROTHER THAT RACES OUT AT SAS AND AS FAR AS THE SAFETY EQUIPMENT INSIDE THE CAR, WE SPARE NO EXPENSE TO INSURE HIS SAFETY. AS FOR THE EMERGENCY PERSONNEL ON THE TRACK, I WOULD HAVE TO RATE THEM AN

(8). THERE'S ALWAYS ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT. :ph34r:

Thanx guys for your input, much appreciated. In all the tracks I attend I've always thought SAS had one of the better groups for a weekly show. Never thought much about the pit situation, so you've opened my eyes to that area. Thanx.

Keep those comments coming. If you don't feel good about posting your views here, feel free to PM or E-mail me. rebelracewriter@hotmail.com

Safety should be the #1 thing on every tracks, drivers & drivers families mind, but it isn't. We all take it for granted. I have my 16-year-old son racing and there are questions about safety crews @ SAS, which I can't answer. As a former manager of SAS, here are the things that come to mind. Especially, since we have had a big fire and had a driver burned @ SAS before.

Who is in charge of fire & safety at SAS? Who do you get the answers from?

1.) Fire Dept - Do they have the right kind of Fire Extinguishers?

- Can we get better fire protection by covering both the front & back

straightaway? OR in each corner?

2.) Ambulance - Is there a paramedic on board? (EMT's can only do so much)

Do they carry the life saving drugs?

3.) Fire Extinguishers - Each pit is required to have one. Who is monitoring this?

I think SAS has done a good job to date. But I am now, on a mission to get some answers. After I do my research, I will let you know.

5 star,

While you are digging, would you find out it they have the appropriate rescue tools. They may need to cut the roof or side off of a car to get a driver out. Sometimes there isn't enough extension cables to drag 1/4 mile to use a borrowed sawzall.

Also, are the rescue personell trained to stabilize a driver BEFORE removal from the vehicle

thanks

zoom

This is to follow up my first post on SAS Safety. I received a call from the track manager; they were willing to answer any questions on this matter.

1. Fire Crew- The fire truck has the foam on board to fight any type fire. Including a fuel fire. The fire truck is normally staff with one Paramedic and several EMT's. As for the extinguishers in the corners, I was told that it was something they had not thought of. They will be adding extinguishers in the corners with the personnel already stationed there.

2. Ambulance - There are 2 Paramedics on the ambulance. When the crowd reaches over 750, they hire an additional Paramedic for the grand stands with a jump bag to treat any spectator. The Ambulance is equipped with the life saving drugs. AMR the ambulance company the track uses, it has a unit stationed at Hwy 16 & 410. If a second unit is needed, they normally should be there in about 10 minutes.

3. Fire Extinguishers in the pits - It is required by SAS. There is a $50.00 fine, if your pits does not have one. They plan on checking as you come though the gate, to make sure everyone has they own extinguisher. So, you better make sure you bring it.

During our conversation, some other items were discussed, that I feel are important to mention.

For years if a driver was transported by ambulance, the ambulance bill was the responsibility of the driver. The NASCAR insurance would not cover the transport cost. Mary Balzer made several phone calls to NASCAR and was instrumental in getting this changed. As of this year, NASCAR's insurance policy will pay the first $250.00 for the transportation cost.

Safety should be put on the driver’s shoulders. I was told that drivers are trying to race with old fire suits some with holes & tears, helmets with no Nomex liners, tennis shoes, etc. Guys, isn’t your life worth more to you than that? If you can’t afford the right safety equipment, including a head restraint, YOU CAN’T AFFORD TO RACE!

MY RATING FOR SAS SAFETY is a 9. Because as someone else said, there is always room for improvement.

I also suggest that if you have any questions regarding safety, contact your track manager.

P.S.- Zoom - I didn't read your post until after my conversation, but I will ask Mike if they have the tools.

Cindy,

Way to go! That's the type of information that every racer should know about the track where they run.

Can someone (Kathy?) get the same type of information about Thunder Hill Raceway?

And can someone (Jason?) do the same for Corpus Christi Speedway?

Nick Holt

Cindy and zoom,Im almost positive they have the Jaws of life on board,If I remember right,this is the same crew who cut Ricci Ware Jr. out of his mod when he broke his neck and are credited to saving Riccis life,they are good and the best I have seen around race tracks in Texas.They just need to put a truck at the back entrance and on the front where it is now for better responce time.

I don't think that they have the jaws of live because I think that when Stacy McMullen wrecked in the super street class in san antonio they had to use someones sawsall to cut him out of the car. I don't know if is the same crew that hit Wayne with the truck box door or not either, that might of just been bad luck on that accident though.

When Ricci Jr had his accident, we used Gardendale VFD and they had the Jaws of Life. But I think the track use ATASCOSA-BEXAR VFD, and I do not know what equipment they carry.

ROMCO used Gardendale VFD , Saturday, I believe.

But , I will check into it Saturday!

Hey Billy,

Didn't they have to use the jaws to cut your car outa dat inside wall last year...LOL

Heard you did real well in the mods a couple weeks ago, were they pretty fun for you to drive?

Mel

Cindy,the only time I have been to sas over the last couple of years is for ROMCO,so I assumed Gardendale was there for every race,so as for my saying SAS has the best fire protection, let me refraise it to,Gardendale has the best Fire crew going.And just a little note....regular Firefighters need to be tranined on racecar fires as well,they do a fine job protecting our homes,but racing fires and emergencys are different .

EXCELLENT JOB 5Star!!!!! Glad to see more people "on a mission". I have a dirt racing friend on whowon that has made track safety his own personnel crusade. Through message board posts, phone calls, etc. he has gotten one track to add an ambulance to go with the fire crew. Why anyone would race w/o an ambulance is beyond me, but they did. He is currently working on a different track to upgrade their track safety . There is another person, who I've never met, that has started asking all the right questions on his track now also. The one thing that concerns me is that in about 50,000 members(total) of the four sites I posted this poll, I've only got around 50 replys. To me that's not a very good percentage, where ones life is concerned. Yet on one board people will argue for weeks on end about the cost of a hot dog at the concession stands. Go Figure!

Archived