Street stock rules

Street91

Why wouldn't CBS make the street rules the same as the Shoot out rules? We are building a car to run the Stxsss and wanted to make Cottonbowl our home track, and now we cant. The valve spring rule as well as the tire rule is different. What happens when the Shoot out comes to the track? The CBS car have a different set of rules... WE also wanted to run the show down, now we cant. What gives?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After careful consideration, we decided to keep our rules and not run the Shootout rules. We didn't want to make a bunch of changes that were gonna cost guys money. CBS is obviously going in a different direction than some of the other tracks or series. Possibly this could be the last year for this series at CBS. Our Street stocks will not run the Shootout.

Thank You.

Street Stock Shootout rules and CBS rules are about 95% the same so to say we are going different directions is a bit far fetched. Mini Clutches are about the only thing that would keep someone from actually competiting when you get right down to it. As a matter of fact rules are closer this year between the 4 tracks then they ever have. So lets be alittle bit more responsible in what we say and not steer drivers into the wrong "direction". Many CBS drivers have ran the last two years when we came to CBS and I dont see that changing this year but if it does it is what it is. I have always wished drivers good luck trying to do their best against who I consider the best fender drivers in this area. However I know a seat in the stands is where some should be and that isnt so bad either watching this show.This I know for sure and can say due to talking to Danny regularly that he would not bless any public comment stipulating this being the last year we run there either. We helped put CBS on the map and are part of CBS's history and heres the biggest part yet. We make the track money when we come, not too many traveling classes can say that no matter who it is. This maybe your personal opinion but carrying the tag of CBSwriter needs to be taken seriously so you dont chace off drivers that may want to come to CBS.

Different directions was in reference to IMCA.....and EVERY traveling series made CBS money with the Smiley's SST series claiming the top spot. I apologize for stating that this may be the last year for the street stock Shootout, that's a decision for Mr. Bennett to make on a season to season basis... It just seems to me that as the IMCA classes grow, and other traveling series such as the ASCS request more dates, it doesn't leave much room on the schedule. CBS is glad to be apart of the Street Stock Shootout for the 2014 season. We hope the series continues it's growth and popularity among the fans regardless of the tracks they choose to schedule. Thanks

LOL ....right! Ive just accepted it and moved on. No one is going to change the rules in the street class when they are focused on IMCA it appears. There wasn't even a rules meeting to ask the drivers wanting to race there. No effort what so ever. Theres no reason for me to build my car for there rules, when its the only track running them. Edna, SOS, and South Texas speedway are the same so that's where we will be on Saturday nights.

Harlin everyone has twicked their rules including CBS and they are better then they ever have been. I suggest everyone go read the actual rules CBS has posted. They have made it very easy to see what rules have been tweaked by putting them in red and highlighting them. To say nobody has changed anything is a false statement. We have raced 4 years with different rules from the 5 area tracks and now they are the closest then they ever have been but nobody seems to recognize that. To the street stock drivers please read the rules and recognize the suttle differences because you can easily be legal for both and still not comprimize anything. If someone has a question about a part, post it so we can resolve anything now.

Thats right we are not running mini clutches. Is that it? That was common knowledge most of last year that we were getting away from that. Cbs opted to stay with it, either way it still doesnt effect shootout drivers. Very few ran them anyways to start with. Even discussed it with CBS multiple times last year. Sorry your not in the know or those meetings. Modified and Limited Late Model drivers should have a couple out there floating around on sale you know classes those parts belong in. I think that major clutch system change effected a total of 3 full time shootout drivers and maybe about that many from CBS should they decide to change. Is there any other big major changes that we can look further into?

Hey Josh I think this late in the game I would be doing an injustice to the drivers that ran with the rules back in early October when we pushed them out. Keep in mind should be no reason to not find a cam and spring package that can be legal for both series and track because everyone else in the shootout has already done it and its been proven to be in the winners circle at CBS at all three events so far. So we are staying as is and think its a safer way to police engines without touching valve springs.

why don't just add a weight penalty for mini clutches too

It was discussed many months back as an option and we felt the current weight allowances needed to be user friendly and not get out of control with clutches and anything else that leads to. Right now the weight calculator is very easy for driver and managable for the tech men.

Something we did do this year that we didnt allow last year was open up the Vortex heads so CBS cars using them would be legal. So to the conspiracy theorists there has been some give and take to get us almost on the same page.

I think you have done very good bringing tracks together man, I don't think any of the rules for any of the tracks provided much of an advantage anyway. It all comes down to setup and driving more than any engine or clutch parts. All the motor in the world isn't any good if can't get it to the ground. I never felt like our SOS cars were at any disadvantage in Shootout races, other than this beginner behind the wheel LOL.

I have no dog in this fight. I do find it funny they allow mini clutches but not direct drive powerglide...they allow 3 links...almost like they tailored the rules around certain cars. What the street stock shootout has accomplished with only a few racers organizing it is pretty cool. I did think it was bring ur rule book and lets race type of deal but it looks like its more of a traveling series this year. No way a hot ss could race even though the suspension is at a disadvantage. Jmo. I race imca a lot, every track I go toseems to have a local ss class, so to say they are imca focused is not fair...it at least it shouldn't be that way.

Joe

Archived