What's Happenin

We would like to thank our door prize sponsors for our 2013 banquet: Koehne's Welding, Rock Motors, Goliad Auto Supply, Precision Welding and Rockauto.com. Our banquet put the cap on the 2013 season.

Preparation for 2014 is underway. Kitchens and bathrooms getting scrubbed, painting walls and grandstand steps, sponsorship sales, making of sponsor signs, schedule, purses and so much more being done to make 2014 a fun year for fans and drivers.

Most important is the track. The track was completely torn up about four weeks ago in order to start repacking and preping for a good smooth service. One big problem!! "1957 Motor Grader"!!!

Parts are hard to find. We have replaced the water pump twice and neither one of them worked. We have found a third one in California (the last one we can find) and are waiting on it to get here. Keep your fingers crossed that this one works. Does anyone have a motor grader laying around not being used??? lol Anyway, while waiting for parts I decided to hang blackout curtains on the large windows in the tower in order to protect the sound equipment and keep the area cooler. Bobby went up to help me and when we went to hang the first one saw that the window was about to fall out. The whole wall was rotten. We spent two days pulling out rot and replacing the wall in the lower tower. Went upstairs to the top tower and found the same problem. (Remember this was built in 1986) We will be fixing it this weekend after this cooooold spell. Us old folks are huffin and puffin from going up and down those steps. Keith and Cody will be here this weekend to help. Hallelujah!!!! Young legs to do the running.

Just thought I would share a little of what is going on at SOS. There is so much more but hard to tell all the stories. Keep watching as we will keep you updated on SOS happenings. Guess you all thought racing season ended in October!!! Guess racing ended but not racing prep.

Schedule, Purse and Rules should be posted on the Website this weekend.

Pre-registration Feb.23, 2PM to 4PM, Test & Tune March 8, Opening night March 22

SEE YA AT THE RACES!!!!

Rosemary, you mean to tell me that you can't just open the gates on Saturday afternoons and count the money? I'm shocked that it takes anymore sweat then that! LOL

Good luck - have a great 2014 season.

da beach bum...

It's time to pitch in and help the Stacys. SOS is a great place to race and the pits are absolutely unique in the racing world. It is a jewel without a doubt.

But we all need to realize that the track needs our help if the place is to survive. Gone are the days when promoters/owners made a killing and laughed all the way to the bank. Most are simply hanging on because they love the sport and don't want to see it die out.

I know, I know. We all have honey-do's to do and places we'ed rather be than messing around trying to fix the grader or replacing rotted out window. But let's get real. It's our playground and we need to help keep our playground around a while longer.

Nick

Well today we saw some things go our way. We finally received the 3rd water pump for Ole Betsy (the maintaner) today, put her back together and ran her for a couple of hrs. No leaks, finally!!! Sunday we were able to get 1/2 the scoring tower repaired with the other 1/2 scheduled to be repaired as soon as the winds die down and the temperature comes back up. We are taking Tues. & Wed. off because it will be too dang cold. The end of this week we will be removing the fence at the back of the pits to open up more pit parking, continue with track prep & clean up.

Another accomplishment last week was the rebuild of the PTO gear box on our tractor. What this allows us to do now is to use the Rotera that showed up last summer. This equipment is very interesting as it will allow us to condition the surface of the track.

Archived