F250 SD Hauler

F5RACING

I recently purchased a 2008 F250 with a 6.4. It was first Diesel I have ever owned or even drove. I had it going on a month and it started acting strange with a major lack of power and sounds like turbo doesnt kick in. I have read a bit about the "regen" and not sure if that is what happens or if the turbo is going out.I have a wrench on dash and drive to clean exhaust and also engine power reduced.They seemed to come on around the same time. Any info on how to test or check this out would be helpful. Thx in advance.

I have the old 7.3 which I love so I don't have first hand knowledge of the 6.4 but I do know the wrench is the new check engine light we are all familiar with. The drive to clean is part of the new environmental

gizmos that just screw everything up on these new diesels but are mandated by our wonderful leader(sarcasm). I wont go into the big rant about how I hate these, well I guess I started too so let me digress. I could be a little wrong here on the specifics but generally on these new diesels you have an exhaust filter and diesel exhaust fluid. When the exhaust filter becomes clogged the engine is suppose to go through a cleaning cycle to burn the particles in a catalytic converter like the self cleaning setting on your oven and the fluid is injected into the exhaust where it does a chemical reaction which turns the bad air into water and nitrogen( or something like that). the dealer can hook it up and do a manual regeneration and that usually solves the issue, but it could be dpf sensor or egt sensors going out,also high sulfur diesel can cause bad readings as well. you have to use the ultra low sulfur diesel in the 6.4. the sensors could go out intermittently but a code should be kept in the history. Hope that's it and not the turbo...if it is I Hope its under the 100,000 mile warranty ford puts on their diesels. Turbos are expensive.

I have the same setup in an 08 Kings Ranch. The 08 and 09 are standalone years - they do not use or regen DEF... they burn out 2 ways. passive mode by an overfueling strategy (and if I understand correctly active mode - when the display shows cleaning - they inject fuel right at the filter to start the catylist effect). During the clean cycle EGT gets well over 1200 under throttle and 900 cruising (mine shows 950-1000 under throttle and ~600 cruising when NOT cleaning and in stock mode on my Edge).

Mine did the exact same thing (drop power and limp along) right after I first bought it (used in 2010). First time I did the key cycle to clear codes and it got me another 45 miles closer to the ford dealer before lost power again. Turned out it was secondary fuel pump. With the high pressure injectors these things have one pump that moves the fuel to the engine and another that developes the high pressure. The HP pump is mounted under the manifold (I think thats where they said) and they have to pull the cab to change it! BUT its covered under the federal warranty.

Then in 2011 same thing - pulling a fifth wheel couldn't make over 45 mph - had to be towed 75 miles to a dealer. That time they changed BOTH pumps (under warranty) and the HP is redesigned - it hasn't happened again.

And I thought the first time that it was the Exh Clean cycle - cleaning exh filter showed up just before both power drops. BUT thats just how it looked. The clean cycle on the 08 and 09 really just overfuels to heat up the filter and burn out the particles. The clean was failing because there wasn't enough pressure to overfuel (passive mode)... so it cycled active mode too many times - making it appear the cleaning was the cause rather than a symptom!!!

If it will accelerate I would guess you can drive it. When mine acted up the it was driveable - but no power... took 1/4 mile to get to 60... but only had to drive 45 miles. When the trailer was connected it would only hit 45mph - was all 75 speed limit to get to nearest dealer so I had no choice but to call the hook!!!

This is one of the reasons I subscribe to AAA RV Plus - a 100 mile tow or one extraction pays for 4 years of scrip!

If you can get your hands on an OBDII scanner that displays live data - try to drive it and watch exhaust temp - as long as its in expected range of 450 cruise to 1200 at throttle and is not blowing smoke - you should be doing no damage for a trip to the dealer - gotta love oil burners for that!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived