Picture of Terry Labonte (actually is Bobby)

champ1796

That must be 1982 or so since it is sporting the J.D. Stacy color scheme. Terry ran a Buick and a Monte Carlo with Stacy and that Apache Stove company in 82 I believe. The Buick was slicker than the "flat nosed" Monte Carlo, but he did quite well in both.

The car you have pictured must be a non- NASCAR "short track" car since it obviously would not meet the NASCAR rules of that era.

But, I could be way off. I'm just guessing.

Nick

The Busch Grand National cars looked like that around that time. Sam Ard, Jack Ingram, Tomjy Houston all of that great crop of drivers at that time.

It's more than likely Chevy Nova or maybe Pontiac Ventura and could either have been either a NASCAR Late Model Stock (the NASCAR LMSs preceded the Busch Series) or a Busch Grand National, which, I beleive, was being formed in 1982.

They grandstands don't ring a bell though.

Nick

The Busch Grand National cars looked like that around that time. Sam Ard, Jack Ingram, Tomjy Houston all of that great crop of drivers at that time.

It's more than likely Chevy Nova or maybe Pontiac Ventura and could either have been either a NASCAR Late Model Stock (the NASCAR LMSs preceded the Busch Series) or a Busch Grand National, which, I beleive, was being formed in 1982.

They grandstands don't ring a bell though.

Nick

I believe that is Bobby Labonte in his dads Busch car, "Bob Labonte"

Terry did not run a Busch race until 1985, and that was in a Darrell Waltrip car at Charlotte. He did not run one of his Dad's cars until 1986.

Bobby ran his first Busch race 25 Sep,1982 in his Dad's car at Martinsville. Champs' pic is from that race. He started 15th and finished 26th with a DNF.

The car is a Oldsmobile Omega, kinda like the Chevy Nova or Pontiac Ventura.

Sam Ard, Jack Ingram, Tommy Houston all of that great crop of drivers at that time.

Rodney, the top five in this race was Sam Ard, Butch Lindley, Tommy Houston, Tommy Ellis, and Jack Ingram. Talk about heavy hitters.

Terry did not run a Busch race until 1985, and that was in a Darrell Waltrip car at Charlotte. He did not run one of his Dad's cars until 1986.

Bobby ran his first Busch race 25 Sep,1982 in his Dad's car at Martinsville. Champs' pic is from that race. He started 15th and finished 26th with a DNF.

The car is a Oldsmobile Omega, kinda like the Chevy Nova or Pontiac Ventura.

Sam Ard, Jack Ingram, Tommy Houston all of that great crop of drivers at that time.

Rodney, the top five in this race was Sam Ard, Butch Lindley, Tommy Houston, Tommy Ellis, and Jack Ingram. Talk about heavy hitters.

Thanks Tom, I sure thought it was Terry but thanks for the correction.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In 1977 Terry won a late model feature at Hwy 16 raceway. I won the limited late model. We were in a picture together with the big Schlitz beer can car. Does anyone remember that or have a picture of it?

• 4 months later...

Archived