sas

HiTech

Over the early years i traveled to sas to watch racing and sat up in those stands with my wife and friends and later on with my 5 year old son wishing some day i could race or work on cars down in the pits and be part of that world never knowing if it would come true , page turned ...... years later i was lucky enough to help teams in tida pro sedans and again under tps prosedans in 05 getting a win with our tps team and my then 14 year old sons first night in the pits was very exciting what a rush it was ........page turned ....... the old girl was shut down and knew the two other wishes i had left were never to become ..me making a lap and my son given the opportunity to do so.......page turned ..........

.THEN some fine folks came along dusted off the old girl gathered all the help they could and we knew what ever it was going to take we were going to show up either in the stands or with a car ,we sat in the stands last years big race and hoped we could come out this year and run atleast one weekend ... page turned .....not only did we run one weekend we made it to three was not easy pocket wise but made it we did with never a regret ... page turned ......

IT WAS never in my wildest dream we could bring a car with my then 21 year old son and now 22 and win a race much less three of em , we just looked to bring it home safely with both driver and car intact ,when i stood on pit road all nervous and watched my son come off of turn four for his first time many feeling's hit me i cant explain something i did not expect only those who felt them would know ........page turned .......i stood on pit road with chris i listen as he spoke a few about all the hard work time and money it took and takes to do such a feat and knowing this was his last one, he took the time to look over at the mini stocks that were passing by in practice with a gleam in his voice he remarked those drivers right there are having a time of their life .Thats when i realized just how much it meant to him ..page turned .....sas meant a lot to a lot of folks maybe in different ways but just the same in many ways ,..

THE PAGES TURNED ARE NOT WRITTEN IN A BOOK ONLY IN MY MEMORY OF TIME PASSED AND THE FUTURE OF PAGES I TURN IN MEMORY WILL NOT ALWAYS BE IN CORRECT ORDER ........BUT MEMORY'S I WILL CHERRISH FOR THE REMAINDER OF MY LIFE OF SAS .

Thanks for sharing your memories of SAS, HiTech (oldtimer). I teared up a bit as I read your post. I sincerely thank Brian and Chris (along with all of the others who made it possible) for helping all of us create some more great memories before the lights went out for the final time yet again.

Thanks for sharing your memories of SAS, HiTech (oldtimer). I teared up a bit as I read your post. I sincerely thank Brian and Chris (along with all of the others who made it possible) for helping all of us create some more great memories before the lights went out for the final time yet again.

YOUR WELCOME DEB .WORDS ARE HARD TO COME BY WITH SO MUCH TO SAY ..WHEN I ENTERED THE TICKET BOOTH FRIDAY AND PLACED MY HANDS ON YOUR SHOULDERS IT WAS NOT JUST TO SAY HI .RESPECT ,LOVE , HOW MUCH YOU MEAN TO SO MANY .I WOULD WATCH YOU WALK OUT ON THE TRACK AND THINK SHE REALLY IS INJOYING WHAT SHE IS DOING PUTTING ONE TO GO FINGER IN THE AIR ....WELL WITH LOVE HERE IS ONE CORRECT FINGER FOR YOU .........

YOUR NUMBER. 1 .

YOUR WELCOME DEB .WORDS ARE HARD TO COME BY WITH SO MUCH TO SAY ..WHEN I ENTERED THE TICKET BOOTH FRIDAY AND PLACED MY HANDS ON YOUR SHOULDERS IT WAS NOT JUST TO SAY HI .RESPECT ,LOVE , HOW MUCH YOU MEAN TO SO MANY .I WOULD WATCH YOU WALK OUT ON THE TRACK AND THINK SHE REALLY IS INJOYING WHAT SHE IS DOING PUTTING ONE TO GO FINGER IN THE AIR ....WELL WITH LOVE HERE IS ONE CORRECT FINGER FOR YOU .........

YOUR NUMBER. 1 .

LIKE!

I cant say that me and SAS have ever got along. We have a love - hate relationship. But this place means alot to my family since Pan-American shut down. It was where my uncle was honored after his death. His name used to be painted on the back straight fence, long since painted over. Although me and San Antonios version of Darlington will never see eye to eye, I hate to see it end like this. Memories both good and bad are what shape racers, crew, friends and families, and luckily everyone who has been there now has a memory of San Antonio Speedway.

Excellent Mike. You may not be the worlds best speller but you sure make your point very well. I've watched SA go down twice now and sad to say I do not believe in the third times a charm thing. I also watched the demise of Pan Am and Mercury in my time here. One thing I have never understood is why a city as large as San Antonio with lots of folks who are interested in auto racing does not have the ability to keep a track operating here. People who have tried to make it happen have done very well but from my viewpoint it had always boiled down to one thing. Money. With that in mind, I always wonder why the Fortune 500 folks who own those big car dealerships in this town have never taken more of an interest in the sport. I've been around the block more than I would like to admit but I sure have seen many profitable race tracks in this country located in an area were the total county population was far less than that of SA. Maybe someday??????? :unsure:

Excellent Mike. You may not be the worlds best speller but you sure make your point very well...

i know my spelling sucks .i was never that great at it .as some of the ways i type a story .....i have always been better hands on than anything .but i try lol.

That other San Antonio track seems to do pretty well for itself (as far as I know; never heard of it being under constant threat of shutdown). Every time I mentioned going out to SAS, people would always ask "you mean the drag strip in Marion?" I always had to specify I was talking about "the oval track"....which resulted in puzzled looks or an I-don't-know-what-you're-talking-about-so-I'll-just-humor-you "ooooohhhhh".

I've never seen San Antonio as a big racing town despite the two tracks, and an old sports car race that ran downtown. You're lucky to get more than a 30 second update on the evening news, and usually only if something big happens (like when "Ashley Judd's ex-husband" wrecked hard in Houston a couple weeks ago). Otherwise, you never seem to hear much about racing in this area be it local, national, or global. I've been living in Denton since January and in that time I've probably seen more talk about racing on TV and seen more people wearing racing gear up here, than the previous 17ish years of living in the San Antonio area. I'm sure TMS being right down the street helps. Maybe COTA being fairly close to SA will have a similar effect over time.

Someone asked me this a couple days ago, and I'm sure it's been done, but I didn't have the answer: has anyone seriously contacted our neighbors across the highway? Not just a "come save our track" email, I mean an actual "professional" proposal that's been submitted to Toyota.

Anyway, that was a nice post HiTech. I know the feeling of accomplishing at least part of that dream. I did get to race at San Antonio with TPS several years ago. It was every bit as much fun to race on as I thought it would be while watching races there. Heck, if I didn't know any better, I'd say that 78 car liked it too as it always seemed to run better there than anywhere else. Still, there were two more things I wanted to do at San Antonio: race a (Super) Late Model there, and win there (preferably with a SLM, but any car would've been great). I don't think those last two will be happening (at least not in the foreseeable future), but I am glad I did get a chance to get out of the stands and onto the track a few times in my short racing career.

IF SAS WAS TO EVER OPEN BACK Up again it would be nice to have snowball type race .the main problem with texas racing is sponsors wont get involved and when they do its small money and not enough of to really make a dent .. with so much oil field going on it is a shame a track cant pick up a large sponsor ..i dont know it if is promoters or what ..there are some good promoters in texas racing like sts .kyle .houston ...and even sas they all try hard to keep their tracks alive .. racing in texas is not dead just abscured from vision from those who we seek to bring to the tracks ..the fans ...i know as racers most dont think its not their job to promote a track or advertise out in public its not a racers job ..well that may have been true back then in old days .not now with so many other things folks can attend to now ..it takes all who injoy our sport to help out ..its your future in racing thats at stake ..

Archived