99 Alan Alexander

27 Michael Jones

13 Ian Webster

54 Todd McLemore

2 Ronald Deleon

58 Steve Sims--DNS Practice Crash

5 Lloyd Alexander " " "

18 Matt Brune DNS Blown motor

Krusty, You might want to get with TSRS then. The results I got at the track and the ones I just got from their scorer, both show the 99 as Allen

Here's the story;

Last lap pass gives New win

The largest field ever for the new Texas Super Racing Series rolled into SAS to qualify for the 65 lap feature race. Unfortunately a few teams didn’t make it out of practice. During a break in practice, they opened the pit gates and I walked in to find, long time friend and fourth in TSRS points, “Stormin” Steve Sims’ car torn up after an accident with both Alexander’s.(Lloyd and Allen) One of the Alexanders spun, collecting Houston race winner, Sims and the other Alexander. Matt Brune suffered engine failure, along with Mike Yale. But Yale was able to change motors in time to make one qualifying lap and almost set fast time.

Todd Mclemore in the Rays Marine/Magnum Trailers/Cintas/Round Rock Express/Cedar Park Body and Frame/URS/ Chevy set quick time. McLemore would end up starting fifth after a dice roll for the invert. This put David Edwards and Ronny New on the front row as the field took the green for what would end up being a 54 lap race(shortened for time constraints).

Edwards got the lead while Beaver Stelzig in his first race in years, driving Bobby New’s car, got sideways from second place and fell back to fourth. This gave Edwards a good lead over R. New in second. The first caution came early when Cory Roper spun on lap 4. Once back to green New took a few looks inside on Edwards, but never made a serious challenge. On lap 9 the yellow hanky waved again after McLemore broke the rear trailing arm and stopped on track.

On the restart, Edwards got back out to a four car lead, but New closed little by little, lap after lap. By lap 20 the top 2 were in heavy traffic, at one point going three wide around a lap car. Edwards eked out a small lead through traffic, while Yale and Stelzig battled it out for third. The battle allowed, THR race winner, Jeff Pollard to close in. Caution flew again on lap 25 when Michael Jones spun and made contact with turn 3 wall.

As the crossed flags were shown it was Edwards, New, Yale and Stelzig side by side and Pollard. Yale and Stelzig would then split a lap car three wide. Robert Stewart brought out a yellow on lap 31 when he backed into the wall. Edwards edged out to three car lengths on green, while Ryan Englehardt, Brad Hudak and Beau Bukowski fought it out for seventh.

With 20 to go the top two had checked out on Stelzig who had a gap back to the three car fight for fourth. New took a look low on Edwards with 15 to go, but fell back in line. On lap 48 the pack battling it out for 6th on back got together, with Fred Shultz spinning and Bukowski hitting the tire barrier at the back pit entry. Under caution Shultz gave Englehardt a little, “what was that” rub.

The race restarted with a five lap shootout to the checkers, and shootout it was. New took a shot at Edwards on the restart but couldn’t make the pass stick. The top three were nose to tail with 2 to go, as Yale and Pollard scrapped it out for fourth. Englehardt then snuck up on the high side to challenge Pollard.

As the white flag flew Edwards and New were wheel to wheel down the front stretch and into turns 1-2, with Stelzig lurking to pounce on any mistake. Edwards on the high side and New running low were still attached at the doors going into turns 3-4. The two barely touched coming out of turn four for the race to line. At the finish line it was New taking the win by 1/4 car length, putting his Southside Wrecker/Aguirre Paint and Body/Rowdy Racing/Capitol City Imports/Monte Carlo into victory lane. But the action didn’t end there, as the rest of field came to the checkers Hudak and Englehardt crashed, with David Snokhaus running over the car of Hudak.

1. 1 Ronnie New / Austin – 54 laps

2. 16 David Edwards / San Antonio – 54 laps

3. 3 Beaver Stelzig / San Antonio – 54 laps

4. 50 Mike Yale / Houston – 54 laps

5. 17 Jeff Pollard / Houston – 54 laps

6. 47 Fred Schultz / Houston – 54 laps

7. 28 Leland Waddell / Austin – 54 laps

8. 97 Robert Barker / Boene – 54 laps

9. 9 Tommy Gural / Elgin – 54 laps

10. 48 Jamie Fuller / San Antonio – 54 laps

11. 98 Tommy Temple / Corpus Christi – 54 laps

12. 25 Teresa Gural / Elgin – 54 laps

13. 03 David Snokhaus / Round Rock – 54 laps

14. 40 Craig Roper / Austin – 53 laps

15. 71 Julie Ormond / Katy – 53 laps

16. 53 Ryan Englehardt / Austin – 53 laps

17. 04 Brad Hudak / Kingwood – 53 laps

18. 11 Brian Schild / Waller – 52 laps

19. 24 Jeremy Hernandez / San Antonio – 52 laps

20. 00 Beau Bukowski / San Antonio – 48 laps

21. 4 Cory Roper / Vernon – 47 laps

22. 22 Robert Stewart / Austin – 30 laps

23. 99 Allen Alexander / San Antonio – 24 laps

24. 27 Mike Jones / Austin – 24 laps

25. 13 Ian Webster / Spring – 12 laps

26. 54 Todd McLemore / Austin – 9 laps

27. 2 Ronald DeLeon / Corpus Christi – 0 laps

Corrected TSRS feature race results – San Antonio Speedway May 3, 2003 - from Stacy Tiemann, Director of Scoring, TSRS.

The corrections involve cars 40, 71, 53 and 04. The original had 40 and 71 before 53 and 04, but 53 and 04 completed their 53 laps before 40 and 71.

1. 1 Ronnie New / Austin – 54 laps

2. 16 David Edwards / San Antonio – 54 laps

3. 3 Beaver Stelzig / San Antonio – 54 laps

4. 50 Mike Yale / Houston – 54 laps

5. 17 Jeff Pollard / Houston – 54 laps

6. 47 Fred Schultz / Houston – 54 laps

7. 28 Leland Waddell / Austin – 54 laps

8. 97 Robert Barker / Boene – 54 laps

9. 9 Tommy Gural / Elgin – 54 laps

10. 48 Jamie Fuller / San Antonio – 54 laps

11. 98 Tommy Temple / Corpus Christi – 54 laps

12. 25 Teresa Gural / Elgin – 54 laps

13. 03 David “Snooky” Snokhouse / Round Rock – 54 laps

14. 53 Ryan Englehardt / Austin – 53 laps

15. 04 Brad Hudak / Kingwood – 53 laps

16. 40 Craig Roper / Austin – 53 laps

17. 71 Julie Ormond / Katy – 53 laps

18. 11 Brian Schid / Waller – 52 laps

19. 24 Jeremy Hernandez / San Antonio – 52 laps

20. 00 Beau “Butch” Bukowski / San Antonio – 48 laps

21. 4 Cory Roper / Vernon – 47 laps

22. 22 Robert Stewart / Austin – 30 laps

23. 99 Allen Alexander / San Antonio – 24 laps

24. 27 Mike Jones / Austin – 24 laps

25. 13 Ian Webster / Spring – 12 laps

26. 54 Todd McLemore / Austin – 9 laps

27. 2 Ronald DeLeon / Corpus Christi – 0 laps

Hey Reb,

First-person, cutting-edge race reports, like those you give us on a regular basis, are ALWAYS subject to scoring "corrections" and other little boo-boos that are out of your control. However, the value of getting the up-to-the-minute racing news to all of us die-hard racers GREATLY outweighs any minor glitches that might come with the territory.

Keep up the great work, Reb. At TSZ we LOVE your stories and results.

Nick Holt

To Nick and Jay..

I am working very hard to get TSRS officials to understand that all results and points standings need to be "centralized" and go through a media person before they go out to anyone in the media/publicity business.

As for TSRS, we are experiencing "growing pains" in this area, because we have people who are "new" to this experience.

Jay, speaking from the media perspective, I understand your frustration. I promise you I'm working hard on my end to correct the problem. Please bear with us, and I promise that from now on, you'll get the correct information from TSRS. I ask that you and Nick only take the information from me, as I will take full blame if something wrong is sent out.

Thanks for bearing with us.

Chuck L.

Chuck,

If you are asking that I not post stuff we get from Mary Ann or the offical TSRS scorer, I'm not so sure I can go along with that. But if you are just saying that you are working hard at getting the good folks at TSRS to work with you on making sure that whatever is sent to us is correct, well, that's a good thing!

Nick Holt

Nick,

Understood, and thank you.

Chuck L.

Chuck, Mary Ann, TSRS, I'm sorry my comments were taken in the wrong vein. I wasn't complaining about getting the wrong results, merely stating the ones I got came from TSRS, not just something I dreamed up. In this case I got them off the board on the TSRS trailer. If I get them early enough, I can get my story finished and sent out. Hopefully early enough that local media will pick it up, otherwise they will tell me it's too old to use. I understand that "shhtuff" happens, twice at the same show in this instance, as my ROMCO results were also incorrect due to a transponder issue. I sincerly apologize to Mary Ann and all the TSRS staff, if I made it sound like they weren't working with me.

Archived