why I race

Alright I have a question for all you racer's (why do you race) I'm not trying to go Dr.Phil on ya, just a simple question, it can be a one word answer. I have been helping my friends with their race car's and monster truck's for the past 30 years. I was always proud of my friends for doing well, and had a sense of pride, knowing that I helped build a winning car, truck which ever the cause my be. Then one of my friends started letting pack the track in his car, I know it doesn't sound like much of a thrill, but I was driving (sort of) and then the season ending race (mechanic's) I started to understand why guys and gals strap them self's into race car's. But for me it's still the pride of racing a car that I built, with the help of my friends and racing against the same people in the car's that we built , and not just them, but the new friends I have made at the track (young and old) getting to know them. So with that I invited you to share your story if you would like.

I race because it has help me become a better person being only 23 I have raced for a while and it has kept me from street racing and away from drugs and the bar, but the most important reason is I get to spent a lot of time with my dad working on the cars and nothing good be greater then that, plus its fun to go fast and hang out with old friends and I'm always meeting new ones and that's why I race.

I race because it has help me become a better person being only 23 I have raced for a while and it has kept me from street racing and away from drugs and the bar, but the most important reason is I get to spent a lot of time with my dad working on the cars and nothing good be greater then that, plus its fun to go fast and hang out with old friends and I'm always meeting new ones and that's why I race.

thanks for replying. its interesting to hear (read) other racer's reason's for coming to the track. I can tell you it give's me a special feeling when I come by the grand stands and see my dad seated on the bottom row, giving me the thumb's up as I go by.

Well Cooter as you can see when you go to the trailer all my family and then some also more on the general addmission side it brings all our family together very often. As the young man stated above it keeps the kids out of trouble They cant race if they dont make straight A`s. They must also have good conduct in school and out! Its great to see the car you built from the ground up go fast I have so many new friends that its unreal I could go on and on. Its one of the greatest tools i have! But dont get me wrong we like to go race aannndd someday we are gonna get that little black and white thinggy that man waves! (I think they call it checkered flag cant remember i havent seen it in a long time!) But until then We will continue to go to the races help promte the track and see what happens its all in fun!!

Well Cooter as you can see when you go to the trailer all my family and then some also more on the general addmission side it brings all our family together very often. As the young man stated above it keeps the kids out of trouble They cant race if they dont make straight A`s. They must also have good conduct in school and out! Its great to see the car you built from the ground up go fast I have so many new friends that its unreal I could go on and on. Its one of the greatest tools i have! But dont get me wrong we like to go race aannndd someday we are gonna get that little black and white thinggy that man waves! (I think they call it checkered flag cant remember i havent seen it in a long time!) But until then We will continue to go to the races help promte the track and see what happens its all in fun!!

That's great to hear Andy, there is all kinds of reason's people race, but it always has something to do with family and friends, and there ain't nothing more important than that. Don't get me wrong checker flags are great I hear, but there even better, shared.

I started racing again when SOS reopened after being out of it for 20 plus years. The new friends I have made at the track are priceless.Our class has raced for $25 and $1000 to win purses. To me it's not about the money, it's about the competition, the pride of racing something you put together. Some people need the money to entice them to race,and that is fine,we all know money makes the world go 'round in racing. I have had some great races,and some that have kept me awake at night thinking about what I did wrong, but every time I strap in I believe I can win.

The thing that bothers me the most with racing is the constant need to remind the powers that be who are running the tracks that without the racers in the pits there will be no race. The racers will always be high maintenance,they will yell, scream, fight,cuss and bang on each other but when one is in need I can assure they will always find help amongst their fellow racers.The track owners need to be reminded of this from time to time that as tempermental as a racer can be they are at the track for the competition and to put on a show, and they must be compensated for their time and effort.

I truly love dirt track racing.I will take this love of the sport to my grave. I am thankful the good Lord has blessed me with the abilities to provide for my family and have some left over for racing.

Above all else I love the fact that my wife has made some great friends in the stands and is at the track supporting me everywhere this journey takes me.

This is why I love to race and will continue as long as Iam having fun.

I started racing again when SOS reopened after being out of it for 20 plus years. The new friends I have made at the track are priceless.Our class has raced for $25 and $1000 to win purses. To me it's not about the money, it's about the competition, the pride of racing something you put together. Some people need the money to entice them to race,and that is fine,we all know money makes the world go 'round in racing. I have had some great races,and some that have kept me awake at night thinking about what I did wrong, but every time I strap in I believe I can win.

The thing that bothers me the most with racing is the constant need to remind the powers that be who are running the tracks that without the racers in the pits there will be no race. The racers will always be high maintenance,they will yell, scream, fight,cuss and bang on each other but when one is in need I can assure they will always find help amongst their fellow racers.The track owners need to be reminded of this from time to time that as tempermental as a racer can be they are at the track for the competition and to put on a show, and they must be compensated for their time and effort.

I truly love dirt track racing.I will take this love of the sport to my grave. I am thankful the good Lord has blessed me with the abilities to provide for my family and have some left over for racing.

Above all else I love the fact that my wife has made some great friends in the stands and is at the track supporting me everywhere this journey takes me.

This is why I love to race and will continue as long as Iam having fun.

Well buddy you know you are one of the reason's I am racing now, and would like to thank you for all your help. It's true for those of us with wifes, if she ain't onboard than it ain't happening, thank god I also have an understanding wife, even after rolling my car, she is still behind my racing.

Well it started for me a couple years ago when Cooter asked if I wanted to go to the races, with nothing else going on I said sure why not. Went to the pits to help his friend Chris S. "Red Rocket" 77 next thing you know I was scraping mud checking air pressures and soon became a regular on the pit crew. After 2 years of doing the pit crew thing I decided to get my own car $1,700 later I was racing.

I have learned so much about cars from many of you. For that I am very appreciative. I to have made many friends and I guess a few enemies LOL.

I race to win , I race against my own family Cooter, Randy, We will give anything out of our trailers to help each other or to help any other fellow racer. When the green flag drops its every man for himself. WE RACE EACH OTHER HARDCORE. that's why I race full throttle all out Bonsai Brian #9. I will be there till the end.

I would like to offer my sincere apology to the owners of Shady Oaks.My comments about reminding the powers that be were in no way directed at them nor was I trying to single anyone out.

I have the utmost respect for anyone trying to run a race track.The different personalities are not always easy to handle on a personal level. The reward does not justify the effort required but most do it for the love of the sport and the families involved.

I would like to offer my sincere apology to the owners of Shady Oaks.My comments about reminding the powers that be were in no way directed at them nor was I trying to single anyone out.

I have the utmost respect for anyone trying to run a race track.The different personalities are not always easy to handle on a personal level. The reward does not justify the effort required but most do it for the love of the sport and the families involved.

Mitch I don't believe anyone thought you were taking a jab at the S.O.S. family, we all know they work as hard as they can to try and provide us with the best racing conditions possible. I never doubted your love for the sport and how much you have worked to promote not only your class, but the sport in general, I can't count the number of racer's you have helped along the way.

dont think anyone thought that we racers understand your post sometimes we expect little to much we all know sos is doing everything they can and more see yall saturday hopefully with a car running

The #1 reason is "Family Time". Cody started racing @ age 6 in the Quarter Miget series in San Antonio and Austin in 2004. In 2006 Cody won the track Championship in San Antonio and the State Championship. After numerous Feature & Heat wins and Fast time qualifyings, we sold out at the end of 2008. In 2011 we barrowed a car and went back to racing at SOS. Cody made the step to pure stock in 2012 with some difficulties but all the competitors were very helpful. The end of 2012 and the start of 2013 we saw some motor issues that have kept Cody's car out of competition. Hopefully He will be back to the track by the end of August and hopefully competing for wins.

During the summer of 2011 the opportunity to buy SOS came up. The big reason the Stacy Family moved forward with buying the track goes back to all the great people we met and the love of Saturday Night Dirt Track Racing. Wow, what a big step and it has been a challenge and a steep learning curve. We did not realize how green we were. Through it all we maintain Family first with Friends and Racers a close 2nd. Here's to the Dirt Track racing Family and every other Saturday night races that we look forward to.

Thanks,

Stacy Racing

Keith & Cody

The #1 reason is "Family Time". Cody started racing @ age 6 in the Quarter Miget series in San Antonio and Austin in 2004. In 2006 Cody won the track Championship in San Antonio and the State Championship. After numerous Feature & Heat wins and Fast time qualifyings, we sold out at the end of 2008. In 2011 we barrowed a car and went back to racing at SOS. Cody made the step to pure stock in 2012 with some difficulties but all the competitors were very helpful. The end of 2012 and the start of 2013 we saw some motor issues that have kept Cody's car out of competition. Hopefully He will be back to the track by the end of August and hopefully competing for wins.

During the summer of 2011 the opportunity to buy SOS came up. The big reason the Stacy Family moved forward with buying the track goes back to all the great people we met and the love of Saturday Night Dirt Track Racing. Wow, what a big step and it has been a challenge and a steep learning curve. We did not realize how green we were. Through it all we maintain Family first with Friends and Racers a close 2nd. Here's to the Dirt Track racing Family and every other Saturday night races that we look forward to.

Thanks,

Stacy Racing

Keith & Cody

Would like to see Cody out of the fuel shed and back on the track, I am sure he is counting the days until he is back in the seat again. I for one would like to see him back on the track, he is a great driver and fun to race against. And the more car's we can add to the class, just makes it better for the fans to watch.

And to the Stacy family keep up the great work on the track, ya'll seem to have gotten a handle on that learning curve thing, I know ya'll have been working your butts off trying to keep a good water truck going, and keeping a watering routine that produces a awesome track to race on. I'd say your making damn good head way.

The love for racing runs deep in the Stacy veins. I too am looking forward to seeing Cody get back to racing. He is such a big help to us on Saturdays but I will be really excited to see him have some fun. I must admit that I get that fear inside when he is on the track but know that is just because I love him so much. As a proud grandmother I have been very proud of both of Keiths children and the way they help at the track. They mow, prepare packing vehicles, pack the track, sell fuel, 50/50 tickets and with a smile on their faces they scrub potties. lol I am proud every time Cheyenne sings the national anthem and am so glad that we are able to do all this as a family. Our webpage and facebook are run by our oldest son who lives in Palestine, Tx and he does a great job of putting out information. I am also very thankful to all the great supporting fans, our sponsors, those that donate to purses etc., our concession help, tickets sales, lap counters, tech men and to Becky Knight for the way she has those purses ready for payout as soon as the races are finished. There are never enough ways to thank all the volunteers that come in during the week to grade the track, work on equipment and then come on Saturday nights to run tow trucks, pack the track and anything else we ask them to do. Our volunteers who take the race pictures and those of the spectators. I get really tickled when it takes more than a day to get these posted and everyone starts asking where are the pictures. Saturday nights would not work without all these people. As Keith said it can be stressful at times but when I see a big smile on a gokart drivers face, new people getting in race cars and familiar faces that return year after year I am reminded that these are the reasons we do our best to keep SOS open.

Thank you to all the drivers and their families for your support and I look forward to the rest of this year and then getting back to racing next Spring!!!

SEE YA AT THE RACES,

Rosemary

For us, it became a family thing in the last 8 years. I ran to tracks with friends of mine around the DFW metroplex in the early 80's during high school just dreaming about racing and seeing those who were racing as my Saturday night hero's. I was fortunate in the DFW area to routinely get to watch Cecil Farris, Eldon Dotson, Keith Green (still racing today), Carey Felkins, Bo Rawdon, Marc Madison (still racing today with about 30 straight years under his belt) and Tom Lorenz (Owner of Smiley's), just to name a very few. The thought of racing was simply a dream or a long distance thought as I moved to Austin at 21, got married at 23 and then having kids. We moved our family to Wharton County in 2002 and finally felt in 2004 it was something I could pursue financially. In 2004, Roy January gave me an Enduro car the "Dirt Track Cadillac". A Cadillac with a 430 cubic inch motor. Ran that a couple of times in 2004. Bought a Bomber which evolved into our current Street Stocks. The Tesch's purchased Texana and on opening night in 2005, I won the feature first night in the car. Ken Bulsterbaum was the flagman and came down to interview each feature winner that night. I was pretty shell shocked and in a daze that I had won. Won several more features in 2005, and in 2006 went on to win 9 features with that car, with two 2nds and one third place. Dream season. Tried a few other cars and then my daughter Lauren told me she wanted to race as soon as she was old enough. We bought her a 4 cylinder Mustang and on the night of her 13th birthday she debuted. In 2009, she secured the track championship at SOS. In 2010, we had a car built for Lauren and ran pretty routinely in 2010 and 2011. Ran part-time in 2012 with Lauren in college, and this year I have driven the car in a few races, but the girl is chompin at the bit to get back in the car.

While this was a dream many years in the making for me, I never imagined that my daughter would be as eat up with this as me. While the thrill of racing is key, a much unexpected surprise is that all through her high school years, I knew where my daughter was on a Saturday night.

For us, it became a family thing in the last 8 years. I ran to tracks with friends of mine around the DFW metroplex in the early 80's during high school just dreaming about racing and seeing those who were racing as my Saturday night hero's. I was fortunate in the DFW area to routinely get to watch Cecil Farris, Eldon Dotson, Keith Green (still racing today), Carey Felkins, Bo Rawdon, Marc Madison (still racing today with about 30 straight years under his belt) and Tom Lorenz (Owner of Smiley's), just to name a very few. The thought of racing was simply a dream or a long distance thought as I moved to Austin at 21, got married at 23 and then having kids. We moved our family to Wharton County in 2002 and finally felt in 2004 it was something I could pursue financially. In 2004, Roy January gave me an Enduro car the "Dirt Track Cadillac". A Cadillac with a 430 cubic inch motor. Ran that a couple of times in 2004. Bought a Bomber which evolved into our current Street Stocks. The Tesch's purchased Texana and on opening night in 2005, I won the feature first night in the car. Ken Bulsterbaum was the flagman and came down to interview each feature winner that night. I was pretty shell shocked and in a daze that I had won. Won several more features in 2005, and in 2006 went on to win 9 features with that car, with two 2nds and one third place. Dream season. Tried a few other cars and then my daughter Lauren told me she wanted to race as soon as she was old enough. We bought her a 4 cylinder Mustang and on the night of her 13th birthday she debuted. In 2009, she secured the track championship at SOS. In 2010, we had a car built for Lauren and ran pretty routinely in 2010 and 2011. Ran part-time in 2012 with Lauren in college, and this year I have driven the car in a few races, but the girl is chompin at the bit to get back in the car.

While this was a dream many years in the making for me, I never imagined that my daughter would be as eat up with this as me. While the thrill of racing is key, a much unexpected surprise is that all through her high school years, I knew where my daughter was on a Saturday night.

Monty that is a great story!

I would like to thank all those who shared their personal story with us, as men it is not always easy to share such feelings, (we have no problem sharing when we're mad). But it just goes to show you, we all race for family, fun and friendship. I for one can't wait till I can climb back into my race car to mix it up with my friends and family. Some of you may already know this, but my younger brother bought the 01 P.S. and I'm sure there will be a little brotherly competition, but It's all in fun.

I race because of david bruns gees thanks buddy :lol: now its like a drug you just cant quit or if you do well there is some way or another you'll be back out doing it again but over all its for the fun of it because you damn sure cant make a living doing it

I race because of david bruns gees thanks buddy :lol: now its like a drug you just cant quit or if you do well there is some way or another you'll be back out doing it again but over all its for the fun of it because you damn sure cant make a living doing it

Good point Alan I never could figure out why someone would drive a 100 miles further because the purse is 100 bucks more and with no chance in hell of winning! so they spent $200 to win $100 BUT you gotta win!!! Go figure that one one out little buddy!!!

Laughter is by far the medicine and boy do i laugh at that one

Archived