twin cities speedway

robbie

Does anyone have any pics from twin citiies 84-92 my dad raced there in various classes, He always drove a number 80...his name was james thetford.... He was actually on the tv show texas speed the night he broke his neck but returned to the track two hrs later.... Any pics would be great

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There were two different tracks in that area that used the name Twin Cities.

The first track used the name for a few years, but was more known as the Odessa Speedbowl, and it was located just east of the Odessa Country club, at the northwest corner of FM 588 and business 20. There is a newer build industrial business on the corner; and the track was situated behind it in a north/south configuration backing up to the country club golf course.

The second track was built in 1987 and used the name Twin Cities all it's life, until it closed in 1999. The building of the second track was overseen by John Foster, a legendary West texas racer, a cornerstone of Odessa and Permian Basin business, and just a nice guy to be around.

The second track was some 6 miles east of the old track between Business 20 and I-20. It was situated east/west between south county roads 1300 and 1303, with the pit ares on the west side. If you know where the Big-Tex trailer manufacturing plant was along I-20, the track was directly behind it. I believe Big-Tex has moved. If you know where the dirt track is (was) there, it was due south. Been told that the dirt track has been plowed up also.

Save your time going for a look, there is nothing left of either Twin Cities track.

Archived