Great Restart strategy

jwmbishop

Story

"He left early and he didn't give it back like we tell them all the time when this type of thing comes up," Pemberton said. "It's pretty cut and dry. … That was an easy call. Very easy call."

Actually he left on time, Juan didn't and Jimmie TRIED to "give it back" but Juan did everything short of stomp on the brake pedal (did you see how many cars were "nerfing" behind him? BOTH LANES!!!) to keep him ahead so he WOULD be penalized. Now THATS how you use the rules and procedures to your advantage. Smart.

I guess if ya can't win by speed ya simply win by using the rules' technicalities to your advantage (or your competitors disadvantage), and NASCAR will have your back. All's fair - even sand bagging has a place in the drama called NASCAR. Next time the leader balks, spins his tires, falls asleep, breaks something or simply plays games - from 2nd back I guess the solution to avoid penalty is stomp on YOUR brakes and cause a huge pileup right on NASCARs start finish line and let THEM clean up the mess. AND OF COURSE IN THE LEADERS POSITION THE "BEST" STRATEGY IS NOW TO COME TO A COMPLETE AND SUDDEN STOP 30 ft FROM THE RESTART BOX! DO THIS 42 TIMES (or once catching the whole field off guard) AND EVERYONE WILL BE A LAP DOWN - guaranteed win!!

Maybe someone should inform Juan of the definition of race - its NOT to intentionally be the slower car. Perhaps something looses meaning in the translation to Spanish ...

But in the end I agree with NASCAR - rules is rules, easy call - safety of fans and drivers be damned.

It was Jimmies fault for showing Juan how easily he was going to get beat had they actually "raced" -- as they headed into three before the pace car left Jimmie goosed it twice which let Juan know he was faster. Shoulda kept that secret...

Up next - slipping a mike into the pit box of a competitor and streaming their language live for a vulgarity penalty!

I found it difficult to believe that Jimmie "tried to give the spot back".....as he pulled away to a huge margin almost instantly....

At the angles shown on TV it was extremely difficult to tell where the cars were in relationship to the actual restart line....To me anyway

One thing I can say is that were surprisingly consistent on the call similar to the one on Carl Edwards a year or so ago....

On another note......Looks like they're after Penske to get back what the appeals process took away....

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/brok...0313#!fIc24

Leader sets the pace on restarts bud.

Absolutely true.

And Juan set a pace well below everyone else. Thats my point. AWESOME strategy!

Biggest point being - in any short track racing I have been involved in - once the leader opens throttle blades clearing the restart box - its on. Only the NASCAR big three hold on to a "can't beat the leader to a point 200 yards (and at some tracks even further) past the restart line" rule. I tend to agree though - its much like breaking the beam in a drag race. But THERE the break point IS the "start" line - not a 200+ yard zone that opens the door for "slow down to get him dq'ed" thinking.

Archived