Goodbye Jim

Heaven Needed a Champion

prepared at the request of and consent of Jim Scribellito, Sr., and Mario Scribellito

by: Monty Chamberlain

In June of 2008, rumors abound that Shady Oaks Speedway in Goliad had been purchased and was to be reopened after over 10 years of dormancy. It was quite amusing to watch the Lone Star Speedzone forum light up with activity of speculation for three months as to whether this rumor was true or false.

Low and behold a new screen name surfaced in September, 2008 with the name “Scribellito”. Hmm, that didn’t sound like a south Texas name anyone was familiar with. That’s because it wasn’t . This person announced that he was from El Cajon, California and that in fact his family had purchased Shady Oaks Speedway with plans to have it ready for the 2009 racing season. No small task for a track that had not been in operation in over a decade and even a greater task given Jim Scibellito was selling his motorcycle business of 30 years to relocate his family and all business operations to the little town of Goliad. Naysayers who believed the likely fastest dirt track in Texas would never reopen were muted when Jim and family rolled into Texas in October, 2008. Jim a dirt track racer of 15 years himself and with over 50 feature wins, knew what fans wanted and what racers needed in a promoter.

Instantly, he forged friendships across the racing community and within a couple of days day of his arrival, many of his new friends were at the track helping in various ways from repairing the grandstands, to plumbing for restrooms and other fixtures to fencing and a myriad of other important tasks. To meet Jim, we were all instantly in awe of what seemed to be a larger than life person standing 6’1” and weighing about 275 lbs. At first glance one would think "this guy may be a wrester" or "I sure wouldn’t want to get him mad". But, as soon as you spoke to Jim, you quickly realized why he made friends so quickly. He was easy to get to know with an incredible personality and always seemed to be smiling.

Having found Shady Oaks Speedway for sale on Ebay, it is quite obvious that there was divine intervention connecting Jim to the property. Jim had operated a track in 1999 that was located on an Indian Reservation, and it was his dream to once again own a track. Jim once said that God found Shady Oaks for his family. The reality was that God found Jim for Shady Oaks. It is highly probable that even though the speedway was for sale, it would have never reopened without Jim finding it on Ebay. A man with a dream and the heart and personality to make things happen, did just that. He made things happen.

Amazingly, the track reopened with their season opener on April 4, 2009. With standing room only bringing over 6,000 fans into the grandstands and seeing 75 racers in four classes, Jim’s dream had become a reality. There was not a racer or fan on that night who did not feel the electricity in the air. Everyone was excited and simply astonished that the man who many knew as “Scrib” had pulled it off. And, to see Jim on that night it was clearly evident that he was living his dream.

Life is full of curve balls and we never quite know why someone who was living their dream was thrown such a strange curve ball on August 8, 2009 as he competed in his personally promoted “Beat the Boss” event. An event that allowed him to get to race at his own track and pay each driver that could pass him. Unfortunately, that evening was life changing. Friends such as us, family, and even those who had not had the honor of meeting Jim were deeply heartbroken to hear of the paralysis he faced after the accident. But, in typical Jim fashion the slogan “Hope and Determination” was adopted. Going about our lives from day to day many of us saw Jim as in inspiration for how we would deal with adversity. For most of us, we had challenging days from our jobs or typical life challenges, but to watch Jim as he fought his way thru his injuries with such a positive attitude to fully recover and keep living his dream was truly inspirational.

Jim’s huge circle of friends stepped in and helped in various ways to keep his dream alive. Who wouldn’t want to throw in a helping hand for someone who had a personality larger than life? Many helped with operations and many of us simply left the pay envelope at the window.

Early Saturday morning (June 1, 2013) Jim passed away. The man left an enduring legacy for many to draw strength on. To see someone know what their dream was, and then roll the dice to live that dream is not something many of us get to witness. Jim was the lynch pin that brought Shady Oaks Speedway back to life and it likely would have never occurred without his larger than life charisma.

Jim, while you may be racing on a dirt track in heaven, you will never be forgotten on earth.

Any one who has ever been to this awesome track owes this guy a thank you. Sad news indeed. I think every driver that has ever raced at SOS needs to show up the 15th, race if you can or just enjoy this beautiful facility.

Rip Jim, never forget the first day I met u at the track and how my life lit up with excitement when I heard that SOS was gonna reopen. SOS was the track that my dad always took me to when I was young, and I always told him I would have a car of my own on that track. The year I got my first car was the year it shut down until Jim reopened. Since then my family and I have grown closer together in the racing excitement at the track. Thanks for all u did in getting the track back together and RIP. ( Show them how it's done up there) :(

• 1 month later...

Archived