Road Runners @ Oktober'Fast' 10/9/04 recap

The combined classes of Road Runners saw 23 cars take times and after the dust settled it was Thunder Hill Raceway driver, Gary Chancellor setting fast time with a 23.20. With the top five inverted, Larry Jackson and SAS Road Runner champ, Mark Mathias on the front row. Jackson got the lead on lap 1, but David Hassinger got by both Mathias and Jackson to snag the point on lap 2. Chancellor and Matthew Hodges had just got past Jackson and Mathias when Jackson and Steven Osborne tangled in turns 1-2. Numerous cars were caught up in the melee, but most were able to continue with only cosmetic damage.

After a couple restarts for wall scuffings and blown motors, Chancellor was looking inside Hassinger for the lead, but was unable to make the pass. Charlie Henley grabbed fourth from Mathias on lap 11. By lap 15, Hassinger and Chancellor were pulling ahead of Hodges. At midway the top five were Hassinger, Chancellor, Hodges, C. Henley and Mathias.

On lap 20 Justin Henley stalled and rolled to a stop in turn 1 to bring out a yellow. The top two got away on the restart with a couple lap cars separating them from Hodges and C. Henley. Hodges and Johnny Torres made contact, giving C. Henley the chance to grab third. Jackson and John Hendricks made contact and spun, with Hendricks getting up on two wheels, but he was able to continue.

During the yellow, Hassinger was forced to give up the lead when he pitted with a flat right front. Chancellor inherited the top spot followed by C. Henley as the race resumed. C. Henley got along side Chancellor through turns 1-2 and down the back stretch, but Chancellor held on in turn 3. George Reyes got loose in turn 2, with Mathias spinning trying to check up to avoid him.

I-37 Speedway Pure Stock champion, Darin Leonard broke on the restart and rolled to a stop just short of the back pit entrance. C. Henley again got inside Chancellor as green waved again, but Chancellor slammed the door on the front stretch, in the meantime, Hassinger was on a charge from the back working his way back to third by lap 32.

As the field was shown two to go, the excitement was just starting. C. Henley was now trying the high side, allowing Hassinger who had reeled in the leaders to look low. As the white waved it was anybody in the top threes race. As they sailed down the back stretch, C. Henley changed back to the low side, with Hassinger going up top. Coming out of turn 4, Hassinger blasted by both C. Henley and Chancellor to steal the win by less than ½ a car length.

Road Runners

Feature

1. 83 David Hassinger, Kyle, 35 Laps

2. 4 Gary Chancellor, Bastrop, 35

3. 67 Charlie Henley, San Antonio, 35

4. 58 Matt Hodge, Buda, 35

5. 8 John Hendricks, Conroe, 35

6. 3 Darenger Nesloney, Port Aransas, 35

7. 20 Mark Mathias, San Antonio, 35

8. 50 Jason Knight, Aransas Pass, 34

9. 13 George Reyes, San Antonio, 34

10. 04 Steven Osborne, Elgin, 33

11. 70 Joe Horne, San Antonio, 32

12. 26 Darin Leonard, Papalote, 29

13. 74 Johnny Torres, San Antonio, 26

14. 68 Dubba Hawkins, Devine, 25

15. 51 Larry Jackson, San Antonio, 24

16. 10 Ken Jones, San Antonio, 21

17. 73 Josh McAlister, Corpus Christi, 8

18. 72 Manny Trevino, Gregory, 8

19. 71 Justin Henley, San Antonio, 5

20. 00 Randy Frautschi, Von Ormy, 4

21. 57 Jason Kelly, La Vernia, 3

22. 24 Bryan Lorenz, Devine, 2

DNS 79 Michael Odom, Lakehills

DNS 80 Troy Vella, Corpus Christi

DNS 44 Mike Lee, Rockport

DNS 88 Bobby Jack, Rockport

Lap Leaders

51 led 1

83 led 2 - 27

4 led 28 - 34

83 led 35

I think Greg had an idea about this race. I wished we would of had the same idea. Why show up to a race that we did not have a chance in winning. The guys from the I37, Kyle and Corpus were kicking our butts. Those guys were able to run 8 and 10 inch tires and 500 cfm carbs compared to our 7 inch tires and 350 cfm carbs. manual tranmission and locked down rear ends against our automatic and single tract rear ends. I can't believe that Mike and Paul allowed this to happen at thier home track.

but it is nothing different then what was going on all year long................they allowed the dirt cars to run with the roadrunners all year long and they ran by dirt track rules............which meant they could run the 4 barrell carb, standard transmission and 8" tires...............it would be nice if the tracks all sat down and agreed on a set of rules for all the tracks so a guy could run the dirt track on friday and then sas on sat..........hopefully they will sit down and adjust the rules were it would work out like that because i like the guys from the dirt track, it is just not fair to the roadrunner guys that they run by different rules........jmo

Guest RandyBorlace

i37 cars arent real outrageous, we run harder compound worn out weather beat dirt tires not 7 in. or 8 in asphalt tires. jason kelly runs an automatic turbo 350 and a box stock holley 500 he didn't even remove the choke. alot of him being fast is look at who is dad is, a ROMCO legend, set ups work and so do gears. 74 ,67, and the other padgett's cars run a stock quadrajet, we don't even get to run the aluminum intakes like ya'll do. people always gripe about the 67 car having an illegal cam, the car pulled 24 inches of vacuum. i don't know about CC or THR cars, but they are bad fast.

the stock cast iron intake flows better than the edelbrock does and the 4 barrel carb helps out.........like i said i like seeing the dirt cars race at sas that is great, all i am saying is make it apples to apples...........not a few guys run by certain rules and the rest run by other rules...........make the rules the same that way there is no problems............because when you do it like it is now you open the door for a guy to build a car by dirt track rules and then claim those rules, even though they never plan on running the dirt track just to get away with certain things...........jmo

edited by me because i cant spell

You know that you are bitching up a wrong tree. Yes THR cars did go out there and kick some butt but what I saw that I dont know if others did and yes this is your home track, if you looked and watched the thr cars all ran the same grove and were fast but what I saw was the few cars that were right there with the THR cars followed the same line and ran faster than qualifing times. Should this mean anything? The other cars that could not see or follow the line were alot slower and what I saw was even the SAS car were trying to run the bottom of the track in both corners. I was standing ontop of the trailer and could see both corners. I even made that comment at the track. I dont disagree with you that THR had 8 inch hoosiers and 500cfm carbs were faster but the 6-7 cars from different tracks right there behind the leaders were just as fast with there setups.

Just my .05Cents

Jay Simon

74 Hobby

I think you are taking things the wrong way, I37, Kyle and Corpus drivers were doing nothing that they have not done all year. I wish our track manager and head tech would of gave us a warning that you guys were going to be running what you already had, or maybe giving us the chance to get on equal ground. An 8 inch tire will let you do things in the corner that a 7 inch will not do. A 500 cfm carb will give you more speed. That is just the way racing is. Wider is better and more carb is even faster.

Guest RandyBorlace

i'll tell you what if i race roadrunner next year which i might, if you have a spare 350 i can borrow ill use it, let you use my 500 and we will switch tires, worn out 8 inch tires arent as good as good 7 in. tires. just because we are dirt dobbers doesn't mean we can't set up a car, jason kelly's dad races romco, frank torres used to race asphalt, charlie henley was a track champion in charger in 98, and my uncle ran TIDA its all in the set up, i think ya'll should be happy dirt cars have to weigh 100 lbs more then ya'll. how many asphalt guys do you see changing tires around and adding shims to adjust caster/camber in between races, kelly does it if some of the asphalt guys would put the time into their cars that we do, there would be no griping.

Guest RandyBorlace

well we can't run asphalt tires on dirt, thats just asking for a trip to the wall and no traction, and i am sure no one in RR wants to buy our tires. i agree with rules changes , except for tires. RR should switch to a stock intake and allow a quadrajet or 500 cfm.i am sure they could switch to a stock intake and quadrajet easier then we could to their intake and carb.

Guest RandyBorlace

i assume that the tires the RR's use are racing tires, there is no 7 inch dirt racing tire for us the only possible solution would be street tires and they aren't as good as what either class uses. i get all my tires off the dirt modifieds around here maybe RR should use some pulloffs?

I run dirt and use asphalt tires. We are allowed to groove them ofcourse... but the biggest difference I have seen in them is on a dry slick track when I do not groove them. The first couple laps it's a little loose but once the heat builds up in them, I have not been on a street tire that will do better. This is a 3500 lb car... pure/street stock.

Over in Louisiana on dirt at ArkLaTex Seedway they have to run ungrooved asphalt pull offs in the factory stock class and they are flying. Very fast cars, especially when the track has taken rubber or is glazed over dry slick.

Devil's Bowl in Dallas requires Asphalt Pull Off Tires in the Street Stock class and they are flying as well.

Don't say asphalt tires dont work on dirt... Batesville Speedway even requires them on thier street stocks as well as I think Abilene or somewhere up there.

Granted I wasn't at the race,but the biggest difference I see is that THR runs a 500 carb and 8 inch rims,no locked rearends. From what I see is SAS and THR run the same tires,assuming that SAS has a typo in their rules,other then that and yes I beleive THR can run standards I don't see that big of a difference other then their cars have to handle better.

I ran a RR at SAS the last three years. Unfortunately I wrecked at the beginning of the year, plus other circumstances kept me from returning. I did not see the race, but as a racer I need to throw in my 2 cents. Set aside driver differences, because that throws mechanics out the window to a certain point, but I did some testing last year and I will guarantee that carbs, tires and trans. make a world of difference. The 500 alone was a gain of 3/4 of a second. The standard trans. gives increased acceleration (think about what loss you would have with a torque converter full of 7 qts of fluid). Then of course we come to tires, wider is better, it gives you grip which translates into speed and handling. Again, I know the driver factor affects all of this. I never even looked at the rules prior to the race, but I was close enough the last 2 weeks that I could have thrown the car together. Glad I didnt waste my time, and sorry to all my SAS buds who did.

thr hobbies run auto' trannys only...if you watched the race the thr cars were handling unlike any thing else in the race....SCALE IT!!! your gonna find every excuse that you want to-except for lack of preperation on some peoples part...

I just have to put my two words in

1st I can address the fact the greg rohmer was not there. We talked about it over the week. Greg and myself elected to keep the 13 car at home and only run the 51 for the exact reason that happened we did not what to take a chance at the 13 getting wreaked.

2nd as for the rules of all the classes yes there is some unequal advantages for some cars but we must all keep in mind we know this before we signed up for the race.

3rd I can tell you from 1st hand running a Road Runner and a I 37 car they both have there plus and minus the 8 in tires on the I-37 are much better at the start but buy the time you get 10 laps its like running on ice you have to realy slow down going in. As for the 7in tires it takes a few laps to get them going and will last for a good 20 laps I for one like the 8 in tire, It just makes me feel like I have more control

As for the carb issue I'm not to sure if this is a real issue I had a 4412 on the 51 car and had some problems with it on sat. I had to put a 350 I browed and ran my best time ever so right now I have to say I like the 350.

yeah greg rohmer won the roadrunner championship this year and homer pitner won the championship last year........the car that homer drove last year is now being driven by irish o'leary's son as the number 22............mark mathias was ahead in the standings for a little while and then was second to irish o'leary........he didn't run the last two races and i believe he fell to 4th or 5th in points, not too sure where he ended up............

I totally agree w/ Larry on this. I personally thought our cars (#57, #75, #5) were competetive w/ the roadrunners. We run the 4412. Like Larry stated, we have an early race advantage but after 10 or so laps the roadrunners tires have built up race pressure and they really fly. Greg & I had some good races this year, and I'm looking forward to 2005! Watch out Larry hehehe B)

Jr.

Archived