engine hp/exhuast techos info wanted

legfixr

I currently have a x pipe to two mufflers with two turn downs on my truck weighing 18 ilbs.

I can switch to a y collector and 1 muffler and 1 turn down and save about 8 ilbs. will I loose hp ?

I currently have a x pipe to two mufflers with two turn downs on my truck weighing 18 ilbs.

I can switch to a y collector and 1 muffler and 1 turn down and save about 8 ilbs. will I loose hp ?

You're not going to lose any hp or torque with a well designed 2 into 1 system. It may even perform better. It may move the peak hp and torque a little, but nothing you'll notice. I'd shed the 8 pounds in a heartbeat.

I fully agree with Chase on this one. Too often we think more pipe cross section equals better performance. However this is only true to a point of diminishing return. At 355 cubic inches, aggressive cam and 600ish CFM carb - you only "need" duals at 1 7/8 or single at 2.5 to handle the flow without loosing all thermal reversion. Yea bigger pipe SOUNDS better - but I have seen the dyno numbers and can tell you the performance gains are simply not large enough to warrant the weight! I don't recommend however the two into one muffler - they tend to take out too much midrange in exchange for bottom off idle response. good for street but you are exiting corner well above the RPM these are tuned to! Use a well built y pipe (dynomax makes some good stuff - I love their VVT mufflers on my 383!) with equal lengths from header to y.

Archived