THR. NO MIRRORS, NO WILD BUNCH

Keith Garrett

I regret to say that if there will be no mirrors at the THR race on the 23 there will be no Wild Bunch Racing .

this is the most obsurd thing i have heard of , mirrors are a saftey issue , I agree that there is a lot of guys that use them to block but there are better ways to address that than removing the mirrors. To me this will get someone badly hurt and we will not be apart of it . when you have a race like this and you have a lot of guys that dont race at THR and then throw in no mirrors , sounds like a lot of torn up race cars and people getting hurt . we are supposed to be saftey concious about racing , this seems to be the wrong direction to me . I would like to see this rule changed , believe me it would be for the better. there are a lot of guys , including myself that will not participate in this event because of this rule. CHANGE THE RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!

i agree, no mirrors is a bad idea...............no radios is a good idea because if you don't have a guy on the radio telling you, so and so is coming then you have to actually rely on your driving skills to win and not rely on a guy on a pit box telling you where to go............. i remember a guy at sas a couple of years back that drove in, at that time the charger class, and he didn't have a mirror in his car and the guy would friggin crash every week.............he would go from the top of the track to the bottom of the track every lap and always manage to crash............tore up a lot of cars...........

I don't get it.. Telling a driver that he is being overtaken, ie "Inside" (meaning don't move low, the other car is beside you) or "Outside" (meaning don't move up, the other car is beside you) or "Clear" (when your driver has completed the pass or has completely been passed and he is clear to move up or down as needed to establish a line) is a bad thing??

THR is a one groove track and no one wants to get outside to attempt a pass knowing that a car of equal speed is behind them. IMO, if you take away mirrors and radios, it is going to be one big wreck fest as drivers go outside to attempt a pass then drop back in on the overtaking car when they realize they can't get the job done.

THR is a one groove track and no one wants to get outside to attempt a pass knowing that a car of equal speed is behind them.

You guys keep thinking this and Cary Stap, Bobby Teer, and some of the other THR regulars are going to teach you a lesson. There are two grooves at THR.

MC

Raced for years at Longhorn without a mirror and after I had one I would hardly look at it except during cautions. Nobody ever got killed and I didn't notice that much more wrecks. I did notice a lot of mirror driving. How can you penalize a driver for mirror driving ?That's a judgement call that would be hard to prove. If I have to choose between racing without a mirror or not racing at all I would choose racing. If someone doesn't want to race because of this rule that's fine with me. I feel much safer on the race track than driving down any public road . I'm sure if enough people complain maybe the rule will be changed.

If the track was only one groove it would only need to be 9 ft wide. The difference is do you want to follow the leader and accept your position or twist the ol peanuts a bit and make a pass ? Hobby cars really dont handle like we would like but we can still go where we want to make a pass . The 2nd groove is truly the fastest , just check it w/a s-watch. :)

THR raced the last 2 or 3 races with no mirrors. We had no problems.

And I say again Micky is so right. Who needs a mirror. We did it at Longhorn for years.

The ones that want there mirrors just must be scared.

And I am so tired of people saying THR is a one groove track. It is not a one groove track.

Ask James Reeder, Leland Waddell, Marc Currey. There not scared to go on the outside. Ask some of our Street Stock guys like Cary Stapp, Bobby Teer, Bobby Lafont. The ain't scared either. Then you have our Hobby Stock guys. They ain't scared either. I have seen them go 3 wide and make it with no problem.

scared doesnt have anything to to with it Kathy, i guess thats why we race at a track that doesnt have crazy rules so you can fill the stands and has a sanctioning body so everything doesnt get out of hand. yall have fun wityh this , im through with this subject

63Y the nice thing about a mirror is that if you want to change your line , you can do it safer w/mirror. When you need to come down in the corner its nice to see if you are clear to do so. Mirror driving has ruined this and many people are pissed . I would rather have it than not , I have never used it wrong and am being punished for a few pecker heads that would not listen to nick and jack . What these people cant get is that the race is in front of you and not in the mirror. Iguess the next thing will be brakes will not be allowed due to a few butt leaches who think they need to brake check .

when you have your practice sessions it never hurts to use one of them(usually get 3) and run the outside or higher than normal- you would be surprised what you find-one of the best drives i've seen was a year or so ago when donnie meredith went from the back to the front to finish 2nd(with about 20 plus cars) and he ran the high side-so yes, it can be done-just some people don't try it-they think you have to run the low line-as for mirrows-i've run a couple hundred races without one-i like it better without-but if you've always run with one i guess it would freak you out-

sorry camo31- but i got a name for a guy that is too chicken $h1t to race a race under the same obligated rules that the others are racing by,it starts with a P and ends with a WHY' DONT YOU JUST STAY HOME THEN...are they gonna change the rule just because you said you not coming because of it...i would have kicked my own ass for admitting to everyone on this site that i'm too scared/or too inexperienced to run the way their established rules say i must run...

ps- not meant as a bash because i don't really know you....but if you don't want to run, don't....

We ran one weekend in Corpus @ CCMS with no mirrors...not too bad...but it did make you sit up and pay attention. It also cured the mirror drivers & I had a MUCH better time smokin past them! I use them on cautions and for clearing from outside in...that's it. And like what Kevin said...

The difference is do you want to follow the leader and accept your position or twist the ol peanuts a bit and make a pass ?
You don't need a mirror to pass...however, in the long run safety should be a concern...damn...I sound like Kerry flip flopping!! LOL

I know one thing for sure....In racing, the track management will NEVER make every driver happy all the time. No matter what they do or say, there will always be those that don't like something.

As a driver myself, I have learned to feel the track(knowing what is going on around me, knowing where the other drivers are at-in relation to my position on the track). Racing is not just about getting in a car and driving, its also about thinking.

To those drivers out there that want to be able to use mirrors, be carefull what you wish for. The very driver that you complained about in races past about mirror driving, will now be able to do it to ya again.

Now that a no mirror rule is in effect, everyone is on a even playing field. You are now going to have to think!!! and the thinking driver will now have the advantage.

TomH

Now that a no mirror rule is in effect, everyone is on a even playing field. You are now going to have to think!!! and the thinking driver will now have the advantage.

Well said Tom... :unsure:

Tom you said it well...

its better to think than to have a driver block you with his mirror...i don't know though...sometimes that makes for a good show... now don't everyone b---- at me cuz I said that!!

Im not sure yet how I think about this situation.

Kevin has the right take: having a mirror is a good idea, misusing it is not. The problem is not the mirror, it's the bozos who think "blockin' is racin' and if I can keep you behind me, no matter how I do it, I'm a hero driver."

If you watch the mirror and move back and forth, Earnhardt Sr. himself would have trouble getting by you, but that doesn't mean you'd be "outdriving" him. It does mean you'd probably get to know the wall, up close and personal.

Yes, there are other ways to handle it, such as black flagging the mirror drivers. Of course, they will all scream, "Who, me?" when you do, and swear they're never coming back to your track.

Simply taking the mirrors off is simpler, and most of the drivers have been handling (no pun intended) it well at THR. The racing at THR the last few weeks has been great, but it's been great for most of the season, despite the initial complaints about the "all involved" rule. (Which, by the way, still needs the occasional "judgment call" to be really effective.)

I know I know most of you think I need a mirror or I was Mirror driving but I have never ever ran a mirror in my car from Longhorn to THR I have never used a MIRROR and I do have one in the back seat of my truck but I was told from day one from Lynn Pierce to not put it in and you will learn how to hear a car coming up beside you and you will learn more and also less mistakes coming out or going into a corner. So my final comment it like kevin said and that is to tighten up your peanuts and lets go racing.

Jay Simon

Archived