Mopar 7.25" Axle Question (roughly the same as 8.25")

JamesHigdon

Ok, I've setup a few diffs with no issue but have a Chrysler 7 1/4" in a Valiant that is giving me some issues. Chrysler's FSM states "NO SIDE PLAY SHOULD BE PRESENT" in the preliminary measurements section of the instructions, well the diff I am working on right now has .007" of side play and .0055" of runout which it specifies at a max of .005". The Chrysler suggestion in this situation is that the case is damaged and should be scrapped. These diffs are different in that you actually stretch them (across the case opening) to pull the chunk out so obviously they are somewhat pliable...it seems a little extreme to recommend scrapping this thing but if that's the case then so be it, anyone have any experience with these? From what I can tell in the FSM the 7.25" and 8.25" use the same general style of case so any info should cross.

Damn Chrysler FSMs must be written by monkeys...of course a 40 yearold diff is going to have SOME side play unless the bearings are made out of magic and unicorns, the carrier bearings are going to wear some in the length of time, right?

Yea.

I think.

I wouldn't think .007 would kill it.

Archived