Trailer Battery Charging off Truck Charging System

JamesHigdon

We haul a 22' dovetail with a winch and a break-away that runs off a trailer mounted deep cycle battery. We typically hook our battery up to a charger every night but would like to setup to charge the trailer battery off the truck's charging system. If I run a wire from the middle "charging wire" of the round 7 plug from the trailer side of the connector to the trailer battery that's easy enough but I'm worried about overloading the 8-10 gauge wire that comes from the truck side ('04 C3500 Duramax Silverado and '94 C2500 6.5L Suburban). The wire in question runs from a keyed relay on both trucks so I'm not worried about running down truck power, just how much actual charging capacity I will have through the factory 30amp relay and relatively small gauge wire, especially when the winch discharges the battery. Anyone with experience?

Exactly what I needed to know, thanks guys! We ran a trickle charger off what is typically the black wire (for charging the breakaway battery) to charge the battery constantly and a fused (30amp) wire off the center post for heavier duty, the damned deep cycle battery we have in there now should last forever!

Exactly what I needed to know, thanks guys! We ran a trickle charger off what is typically the black wire (for charging the breakaway battery) to charge the battery constantly and a fused (30amp) wire off the center post for heavier duty, the damned deep cycle battery we have in there now should last forever!

Only thing you might add on the trailer side before battery is a fuse or a resettable breaker just in case. Also look at solar panels so it is charging even when trailer isn't in use...

Only thing you might add on the trailer side before battery is a fuse or a resettable breaker just in case. Also look at solar panels so it is charging even when trailer isn't in use...

I fused all the power transfer lines between the truck and trailer so we're good on that count...now we have to deal with the fact that my 250k mile Diesel '94 Suburban has a wiring system that is more robust than an '04 C3500 whose BCM even the dealer can't keep functioning!

Archived