Meet The Legends

Hrodder

• 2 weeks later...

I've been talking with two of the gentlemen involved with this show and it sounds like a pretty cool deal for everyone, not just us "old-timers".....and it's for a very worthy cause...

Got this from Chet Beaty

Our “LEGENDS” Event is Proud to announce that we will sponsor a local organization “Operation Military Embrace” a non-profit organization who uses ALL monies and donations received to assist recovering wounded veterans and their families similar to the Wounded Warriors organization. In addition, the S.W. Texas Patriot Guard Riders are also pitching in to help us with flags, and a Memorial Wall for the event. Our entire event this year is built around extending appreciation to our Past and Present service personnel along with current Recovering military veterans for the sacrifices they have given. Active Duty personnel with a current Active Duty I.D. along with any current Recovering military veteran with a current VA Disability card will be given Free admission for both themselves and their family. It is my intent to use this event to acknowledge the sacrifices our service personnel from all wars past and present have give of so freely that we may enjoy the Freedoms we have. I would like to see everyone who has served to wear some item be it a cap, pin, shirt, ribbon, medal, or military clothing that will identify them as a Veteran so that everyone can extend a personal “Welcome Home and Thank You for serving our country” Any thing we can do to let our current active duty personnel know how Proud of them that we are will certainly, “Make my Day”

Chet Beaty

“LEGENDS” Nostalgic Racing, L.L.C.

I have attended Nostalgia events all the way from Little River Texas to Nostalgia Nationals in Freemont California 85-86-87 and had a great time at each one of them and then just last year my good friend Keith Roller from Houston invited me to meet the Legends. I was blown away by the atmosphere at this event. I met people I've known, or known of since I first went to the drag races at Martindale in 1955 and watched A.J. in a rear engine dragster. There were Legends (if you will) from Houston, Dallas etc. etc.but I didn't see any from San Antonio, so this year I've done all I can think of to get some of our local Legends involved. They will be there.

If you are of the Vintage persuasion as I am and were involved in the early days of organized drag racing you will want to be there you have my personal guarantee that you will have a good day.

In 2012 our Legend of the Year was Johnny Leibham a very well known drag racer from the 50's and 60's who drove a 1938 Chevy, of which he still has and was fired up at our event for the first time since 1965 after returning from the NHRA Nationals in Oklahoma. He will also be at our event this year with his car.

The 2013 Legend of the Year is "Buggs" Threadgillwho also raced in the 50's and 60's with two dragsters he built and then a 1933 Plymouth which was featured in the June 1958 issue of Hot Rod magazine. He will also be on "Legends" Row this year and his 1933 Plymouth was used for the design of our Event Tee shirt and Dash Plaque.

If interested go to www.lonestarmotorsportspark.com and look at the picture of the shirt and plaque.

We have added a 100 MPH Club patch for this year a picture of it is also on the site.

It is the comittment of this event to recognize the "Legends" of the Drag Strip and bring back the era that started the days of Hot Rodding, Drag Strips and the beginning of the NHRA.

This event is limited to cars of 1973 and older only with NO electronics! Just like the old days of foot pedals and speed shifting. Come join in, you will have as much fun as you did all those years back when Friday and Saturdays were spent at the drag strip.

Our Cackle Fest will feature two of Bobby Langley's cars the Scorpion 1, and Scorpion 5, along with Gizzlehopper a National winner from Corpus in the early 60's along with Bob Malone's Pony a 1961 Blown Pontiac powered dragster that set track records all over Texas to include setting the track record of 183 mph at San Antonio.

i have an old pic from freeway dragstrip houston tx of a group of guys with their homebuilt frt engine dragsters from 1958 hanging in my living room.meet buggs years ago at a car show and he signed the pic right in frt on his car.cool he was chosen lengend of the year 2013

Don Garlits got his record back on this day 182 MPH. June 1959

He had not held the record for quite a few months and he was not happy.

Hot Rod Magazine had done a multi paged article on Don a few months prior to this event that showed Don's Black 57 Nomad Station Wagon and the dragster completly disassembled. When Don pulled into the pits pulling the dragster with a pea green 53 Studebaker 4 door sedan the promoter asked him, Don where is the Nomad? Don glared at him, put his hand on the Hemi in the dragster and said its right here.

post-10523-1364393608.jpgpost-10523-1364393590.jpg

Thanks to LSSZ we found Wes Bevly who's father was a legend in his day in CC Tex. He says he will be there April 13

Could I get Wes' e-mail address? My dad bought Melvin's dragster way back in 1959 an we raced it for a while until we wrecked it. I would like to see if Wes has any picyures of it.

The young man standing by Paul Jetts race car went on to become the most recognized name in Texas early day NHRA drag racing.

Whats his name.

His half-brother is Butch Lake.............................

Legends???

Who could the guy in the picture be and who did the Jalopy #12 belong to???

post-10523-1364336950.jpg

The young man standing by Paul Jetts race car went on to become the most recognized name in Texas early day NHRA drag racing.

Whats his name.

The young man in the above picture is August "HANDS" Hartkoph who went on to become a true legend in Texas drag racing Hands is gone but a lot of legends remain and a bunch of them will be present at this event.

COME MEET THE LEGENDS.

Archived