Cotton Bowl Speedway Pure Stock Exhaust option

xmod97

Why would you allow the pure stocks to run headers when other tracks don't ?

It's just weird to me every track has their rules set up different

If everybody's rules where the same you could go race anywhere you wanted to with out changing a lot of stuff

You mean like imca? I can literally run 100's of different tracks throughout the US and know I have the same set of rules. Still haven't figured why local tracks don't run the same ss and purestock rules.

Joe

If everybody's rules where the same you could go race anywhere you wanted to with out changing a lot of stuff

It is a option, you don't have to do it.

Ok...since you decided to spring this now (until waiting till next year) why long tube? Why not just street style? The make some very cheap short tube headers than can almost bolt up to exsisting exhaust.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hed-6860...del/monte-carlo

Now I have 2 pure stocks I have to change over.... if you think 50# makes up for the hp gain and the weight reduction on the front end....your only kidding yourself.

These rule changes sure are not saving me money or time....

Now...if you would have went with my suggestion...50# added in front of the back of the block....and the headers reduced down to 2" pipe.....then I would not have to change. Cause I think that would have been a fair matchup.

Not just adding 50#

The old saying "Pure Stock" is simply the name of the class. They are still race cars at least I think the people driving them would want them recognized as racecars. Headers or no headers the name of the class is still a far stretch of what they really are. Same goes with Street Stock and Limited Modified its a name but not what they really are. Can anyone tell me whats limited about todays top tier limited modifieds? As far as headers go for pure stocks. I am glad they did not mandate a header that nobody currently has or cant get cheaply. $159 for something that you still cant put a 2 1/2" muffler on still sucks. I agree about the timing of the change but again this track is taking its first steps. I dont agree with everything but I do recognize the people behind the scenes as people I want to race for. They are fantastic people, listen to the drivers and they give a damn. Qualities hard to find at some tracks. I think 50 lbs is alittle on the conservative side for those running headers. Myself, adding more weight on a car with 200 to 300 lbs of added weight makes it even more unsafe. Instead of penalizing header cars give a weight break to those that want to keep their manifolds. As a matter of fact make it so damn lucritive and a hard decision not to want to run manifolds. Example let the manifold cars running 3200 lbs. and header cars 3400. Now that makes you want to consider either or instead of argueing about it. I like OPTIONS and I think every class should have a choice of this or that but ultimately being equal on the track. Just food for thought.

The old saying "Pure Stock" is simply the name of the class. They are still race cars at least I think the people driving them would want them recognized as racecars. Headers or no headers the name of the class is still a far stretch of what they really are. Same goes with Street Stock and Limited Modified its a name but not what they really are. Can anyone tell me whats limited about todays top tier limited modifieds? As far as headers go for pure stocks. I am glad they did not mandate a header that nobody currently has or cant get cheaply. $159 for something that you still cant put a 2 1/2" muffler on still sucks. I agree about the timing of the change but again this track is taking its first steps. I dont agree with everything but I do recognize the people behind the scenes as people I want to race for. They are fantastic people, listen to the drivers and they give a damn. Qualities hard to find at some tracks. I think 50 lbs is alittle on the conservative side for those running headers. Myself, adding more weight on a car with 200 to 300 lbs of added weight makes it even more unsafe. Instead of penalizing header cars give a weight break to those that want to keep their manifolds. As a matter of fact make it so damn lucritive and a hard decision not to want to run manifolds. Example let the manifold cars running 3200 lbs. and header cars 3400. Now that makes you want to consider either or instead of argueing about it. I like OPTIONS and I think every class should have a choice of this or that but ultimately being equal on the track. Just food for thought.

Options...you want headers...run street stock.

What are the grand stock cars going to do?

What about the big cars (like both of mine) that already weigh 3500 with no weight added. Can we just gut the cars to get them to 3200? humm..starting to sound like a street stock.

There are tons of stock manifolds on ebay....I am still running the same manifolds from 20 years ago....buy them once...and your done. No problem with starter clearance...plug wire clearance...making stock brackets fit..clutch linkage clearance.....failing header gaskets..

This is a beginner class....keep it as close to stock as you can. So a beginner can just bolt it together...not have to send his car to swenson to put it together. You want perfomance parts. They have a class for that.

Just my opinions.

Lol..its an option...so is going left. You dont have to ...but you are not going to win if you dont.

that leaves out several cars from sos and trp that had planned on coming to race this really will put a dent in our pocket books if we want to be competative? why one week before racing season starts add this option..if we would make changes we would be limited on only your track to race or change up everytime we wanted to race cotton bowl why not leave the way it was so more cars can come without making changes

Sorry not everyone has a personal junkyard in their backyard to dig through. From the looks of your so called "body" maybe you should have Swenson help you out. Im not argueing headers are the way to go. I am presenting options now that its legal for both header and manifold cars to run together. If we can find a way for 82 street stocks to get along I dont see it being an issue to find a way for the pure stocks to feel happy w the rules and grow as well.

Just my opinion.

Danny Bennett made the decision to add the option of headers after receiving several calls from drivers that were finding it difficult to locate stock exhaust manifolds to fit there application that would clear after market motor mounts, dip stick tubes, and fit race mufflers. The decision was made to accept an exhaust rule change to accept headers with a weight penalty of 100 pounds making cars with headers a minimum of 3500 pounds and cars with stock manifolds a minimum of 3400 pounds. Special concessions were made to allow non metric chassis cars example: thunder hill grand stock cars, miss matched body and frames, and tire options. I know this to be true, i have been working on three pure stocks with all three problems. however stock manifolds are on all of them. Just in case anyone is wondering Danny's pure stock has been in a local muffler shop since Monday having a complete stock exhaust installed and he has no plans of running headers.

Danny Bennett made the decision to add the option of headers after receiving several calls from drivers that were finding it difficult to locate stock exhaust manifolds to fit there application that would clear after market motor mounts, dip stick tubes, and fit race mufflers. The decision was made to accept an exhaust rule change to accept headers with a weight penalty of 100 pounds making cars with headers a minimum of 3500 pounds and cars with stock manifolds a minimum of 3400 pounds. Special concessions were made to allow non metric chassis cars example: thunder hill grand stock cars, miss matched body and frames, and tire options. I know this to be true, i have been working on three pure stocks with all three problems. however stock manifolds are on all of them. Just in case anyone is wondering Danny's pure stock has been in a local muffler shop since Monday having a complete stock exhaust installed and he has no plans of running headers.

a cheaper solution would of been putting manifolds that come off of a 68-71 truck that looks like RAM HORN MANIFOLDS WHICH MEASURE LESS THAN 2"INCHES WHY NOT DROP RAM HORN MANIFOLDS NOW IF ALLOWING HEADERS many racers have these available and plenty in junk yards for $60.00 let RAM HORNS be used they would not add as much h.p. as headers????

Sorry not everyone has a personal junkyard in their backyard to dig through. From the looks of your so called "body" maybe you should have Swenson help you out. Im not argueing headers are the way to go. I am presenting options now that its legal for both header and manifold cars to run together. If we can find a way for 82 street stocks to get along I dont see it being an issue to find a way for the pure stocks to feel happy w the rules and grow as well.

Just my opinion.

aww...you leave the gremlin out of this...lol Trust me...if I could afford for swenson to work on my car...I sure would not. AJ

Gremlin? Is that what your calling it, I recall gremlins having fenders. For the record swenson doesnt work on our cars. Unless you call rollcage installation working on it. I got skinless knuckles to proove it. But like most of your information you post its to simply get a raise out of someone. Anyway love how you are starting off treating our new title sponsor. I guess having to run the title sponsor sticker is going to be the next thing that pisses you off? I hope Dancer Speedway is in your future at some point in your career.

Gremlin? Is that what your calling it, I recall gremlins having fenders. For the record swenson doesnt work on our cars. Unless you call rollcage installation working on it. I got skinless knuckles to proove it. But like most of your information you post its to simply get a raise out of someone. Anyway love how you are starting off treating our new title sponsor. I guess having to run the title sponsor sticker is going to be the next thing that pisses you off? I hope Dancer Speedway is in your future at some point in your career.

lol..read the rules...street stock rules clearly states fenders may be removed.

"Front and Rear inner wheel wells may be removed. Front fenders may be removed"

I just built my car to the rules (as it stands right now)

And I never said a negative thing about swenson...you imagined that part....he seems to do great work.... wish I could send my cars there..(as I stated before)

AJ

And I never said a negative thing about swenson...you imagined that part....he seems to do great work.... wish I could send my cars there..(as I stated before)

AJ

Ok...brenda Just called me...and explained my error.

When I said "...if I could afford for swenson to work on my car...I sure would not. AJ"

I meant..I would not work on my own car if I could afford for him to do it....sorry...I apologize for implying anything negative toward him...that was not what I meant. AJ

Scott...A few things you might want to check on your pure stocks as well....

Front Firewall Must be stock for make and model.

All major engine components must remain stock for type and year of

car. (no after market heads)

Hydraulic Camshaft and lifters

Rear-end must be OEM stock for year, make and model

and I have to give a shout out to all those pure stock drivers that have somehow been able to fit stock exhaust manifolds on there cars for the last 20 years......

AJ

STREETSTOCK RULES STATE BODY MUST RESEMBLE A FACTORY PRODUCTION VEHICLE

AJ

STREETSTOCK RULES STATE BODY MUST RESEMBLE A FACTORY PRODUCTION VEHICLE

Is a gremlin not a factory production vehicle?

Archived