The Damn Ford broke down again

Jason

I think and hope it is JUST the starter this time. I turn the key and it just clicks once on the black box in my fuses. My truck is a 97 F150. 150,000 miles and they go to crap. lol Everything thing works fine and the lights don't dim so I doubt it is the battery. Checked the oil and there isn't any coolant from what I can see so I think I am ok on the gaskets. This sucks. My truck is in Kingsville so dont even ask me to get it towed to your shop in CC, SA, or Austin! lol

Guest RandyBorlace

check your battery cables, i had the same problem on my mom's car, lights worked, so did everything else, its just i wasnt getting good connections. also if you tighten them, try to get it jump started or a charger put on it.

Go pour a beer on the terminals. Then take them off and put them back on. Make sure they are tight. If that doesn't work change the terminals or cables. This is if the battery is good. Mid to late 90's Fords are kind of light in the battery cable and terminal department. I've gone through this twice with my 96 and one with my 94.

PS Don't use Corona or Heineken or Bud. Any premium beer will just be a waste. Better to use some of that rotgut stuff you find at college parties. ;)

Like others have said check all your connections including the ones on the starter (my brothers ford had a plug come loose on the starter the other day) Tighten if loose. If this isn't helpful then get a hammer , tire iron or long piece of pipe and beat the crap out of the starter. This will help sometimes when a starter is on its way out.

Guest The_Greek
oops...I guess if your wiring harness burned up (I missed that) then none of what I said is going to help now... FORD > Fix Or Repair Daily , Found Off Road Dead

FORD= First on Race Day

It worked great unitl they put the stickers on it.

It like FORDS but always liked this one.

Found it, Owned it, Road it, Dumped it

AHHHH, yes, every one is picking on us Ford drivers again.............

I remember the grief I got when I bought mine from my GMC driving son.

You know-- "Gotta Mechanic Coming", or as his sister stated--"Gay Man's Chevrolet".

I haven't heard much from him lately, since I've gone to rescue his GM driving butt on more than a few occasions.

Guess I'll keep on putting along in my 2000 F-150, with 135,000 miles and counting, and never had a warranty visit.

I hear that the 2005 GM line will come with heated tailgates. Wouldn't want your hands to freeze to it in the cold when you are pushing it to the side of the road........ :D:P

are you a democrate or republican? i'm a citizen of a country which a majority of neither one of them are made in anymore...ford , chevy it's all irrelevant....so 'BUY TOYOTA-THEY'RE MADE LOCAL'

Ok so now it runs ok. Only problem is it has a really hard time shifting between 1st and 2nd. It seems like it pulls more RPM's that it did and then when it changes to 2nd it is pretty rough. It is an automatic...

Jason,

You have the 4R70W transmission in your truck. The most common 1-2 shift problem that you described is the 1-2 shift acumulater spring breaks and creates this very same problem. The CCPD cars have the same trans and we see this on a regular basis. You can come by the shop next time you are in town or call me here at the shop 855-4637.

Wether you want use to look at it or someone else I recommend you do it ASAP because if it is not dealt with soon it WILL cause other damage.

Thanks & have a good day

Could be worse,it could be a Chevy,even the small block isn't cheap anymore,I am working on a 98 Chevy with a 5.7,2 intake bolts corroded and broke and let water into the oil and cooked the bearings(all of them,on top of that before this finally happened,his plastic radiator tank cracked)luckily the machine shop has been able to get parts cheaper then we have found anywhere else.So on the newer Chevies check your 8 intake bolts where the water passages are. Makes me glad for my 1969 Ford(Paid for and no stinking computer).

Archived