Mystery car

CorcoranSuperMod

post-13493-1351289717.jpg

post-13493-1351289354.jpg

Since things are getting a little slow, I'm going to throw a couple of oldies out there.

The black duce was obviously a pavement car, 427 Ford powered and pretty much unblimished the few times I saw it run. ( which leads me to think it was pretty new ) I never knew who the owner/driver was. I am pretty sure I saw Billy Griswold in the car once, but I'm remembering that as a shakedown run. A very short time later that beauty morphed into the second ugliest super I had ever seen. ( still a pavement car ) Although my deal was supermodifieds,I'm nearly brought to tears remembering how we treated those cool old bodies as junk. Anyone got any ID on the Duce ?

The blue 75 car was big block Chevy. powered and was from the Beaumont area. I did know the driver well, but his name has slipped away. Note both haulers, which was the norm for the day. That's one thing that has changed more than the hotrods themselves in the last forty or fifty years. More to come when I can dig it up.

My 1966 Meyer Speedway opening night program has Billy Griswold driving the black no. 2. I don't remember ever seeing it again.

There was a picture page in the Almeda Speedway programs, one was of the 75 car loosing the left rear wheel at the Cleveland Speedway. Falcon front fenders too! I've seen a couple of other pictures of the 75 but I have no idea who it is.

My 1966 Meyer Speedway opening night program has Billy Griswold driving the black no. 2. I don't remember ever seeing it again.

There was a picture page in the Almeda Speedway programs, one was of the 75 car loosing the left rear wheel at the Cleveland Speedway. Falcon front fenders too! I've seen a couple of other pictures of the 75 but I have no idea who it is.

Right, both Byron and Jakdad. That photo was taken in early 1966. As I remember, the car was heavily damaged at Meyers (I'm thinking). It did come back to life in another form though. Will furnish photos as soon as I get a little more time.

As I stated earlier, the 75 car was from the Beaumont area, a big dude that I'm thinking was named Lee something (not Leo Kettle).

Archived