Who knows who this is?

dano36

Can anyone (TX TOM not permitted to participate) name this retired Cup, Busch, ASA and other series LM Driver. He was extremely popular everywhere he went but never won a big CUP race.

post-3-1350060824.jpg

Since ya'll have guessed Jody, I will add a correction in that he did indeed win a Cup race at Dover in Junie's car in 1981; and he was also the NASCAR Rookie of the year in 1980. Jody finished 7th in points his rookie year, 5th in 1981.

Jody recently lost his crew chief brother, Biddle, to cancer. They were so fast back in the day, some competitors made up a bumper sticker that stated "Biddle Ridley for Presdient", and below that it stated "Paid for by the committee to slow down Jody Ridley".

Ridley was part of what was loosely called the "Georgia Gang" a kinda play on the Alabama Gang headed by Allisons and Farmer. The Georgia gang included Ridley, Ronnie Sanders, Randy Couch, and Billi McGinnis. All big winners in their own right.

Since ya'll have guessed Jody, I will add a correction in that he did indeed win a Cup race at Dover in Junie's car in 1981; and he was also the NASCAR Rookie of the year in 1980. Jody finished 7th in points his rookie year, 5th in 1981.

Jody recently lost his crew chief brother, Biddle, to cancer. They were so fast back in the day, some competitors made up a bumper sticker that stated "Biddle Ridley for Presdient", and below that it stated "Paid for by the committee to slow down Jody Ridley".

Ridley was part of what was loosely called the "Georgia Gang" a kinda play on the Alabama Gang headed by Allisons and Farmer. The Georgia gang included Ridley, Ronnie Sanders, Randy Couch, and Billi McGinnis. All big winners in their own right.

The amazing thing about Jody is that he is as sharp today as he was the last time I saw him which was in 1979 when he would travel to Sharon Speedway (OH) to run the ASA Steel Valley 200. He remembered my brother and I right off and we did not have to remind him where he knew us from. He started talking about Sharon right away. He said he retired completely from racing in 2000 and said he has never looked back. Is enjoying the retired life now and taking in a few races here and there but this time of year his favorite pasttime is following the Georga Bulldogs football team.

Butch Miller was also at Nashville helping work with the Kenseth car. Butch and I reminissed a bit about the old ASA days. Another great champion.

Dano

Archived