1990 chevy 3/4 ton

norman

at work we have a 90 chevy 1 ton with a 7.4 it keeps on blowing the ecm fuse i replaced the fuse and it will run for 30 mins or longer i trie to start it the next day and the battery is dead i know their must be a short some place or the ecm box might be bad does anyone have any ideal where to look

Typically an ECM won't draw enough amperage to pop a fuse and still be able to run a vehicle. That same fuse sends power to the electronic spark control (the ignition module), the EGR, the rear wheel ABS system, the Torque Converter Lockup and the Air Diverter. My first guess be would be the ignition module as it can draw a fairly significant amperage when it's going out. The way we diagnose these issues is to find the all the power feeds coming from that fuse exiting the fuse block and run amperage draw tests on them. A simple amperage meter with a peak record setting should give you all the info. you need to find the issue.

post-1103-1347241417.gif

thanks kiss racing i will test the battery i work maintenance in a machine shop the men keep breaking things and i havent got to look at the truck and iam going to replace the ignition module i have a spare one

thanks kiss racing i will test the battery i work maintenance in a machine shop the men keep breaking things and i havent got to look at the truck and iam going to replace the ignition module i have a spare one

I know the busy part all to well. I keep wishing it is Friday but it is only Tuesday. Also, those older trucks the fuse holder tabs get opened up and will make contact hen not make contact and even in some instances blow the fuse. With the fuse out have someone hold a flashlight over your head towards fuse block. Take a small jewelers style flatblade screwdriver and from each outuer edge of each tab put a little pressure inwards towards where the fuse plugs in. If I remember correctly there are two ECM fuses in the fuse block.

i check the fuse panel wedesday today i did change the ignition module and set a ran for 30 mins if i get some time iam going to look for maybe a short tomarrow thanks for the tips k racing

We have chased our tails on electrical issues in cars, trucks and even motorcycles to find all along it was the battery. ( I know we covered you would have it checked, main thing is a load test to see if it handles the stress of a draw) I am working with one of the schematic providers to become an online support for their product. So many people struggle for hours and days trying to figure out wiring and we feel a need to provide support. Also, if you have access to a power probe it can be your best friend.

Mark

i want to thank fsae racer and kiss racing with their help on my problem the truck is running fine after i changed the ignition module and battery thats what i like being a part of this forum members helping others thanks again guys

Archived