Boone Speedway 9/4/04

Boone Speedway 9/4/04

By J M Hallas

Second stop in the 10-day long trek to the Super Nationals, was Boone Speedway for it's final program for the year and crowning of track champions. Being my first ever trip to the famous speedway, I found it one of the most interesting tracks I've visited. One of the most unique items is the catwalk that starts in turn 1 and with a few breaks circles the track over to turns 3-4. The black dirt 1/4 mile high-banked facility is kept prepared even during the event with crews out "refarming." Once again the ladies at the pit gate were gracious enough to not question who I was(I must be famous-lol), and provided me with complete results print outs at the end of the night.

Shroyer wins battle and war in surprise ending

The IMCA Modified track points race was a close one, with Denny Stoneburner holding a mere 3 point lead over Tony Hofbauer, and 10 points over multi-time track champ, Jeff Shroyer. The two high points drivers, Stoneburner and Hofbauer led the 24 car field to green, with Hofbauer grabbing the lead after stating side by side through turns 1-2 with Stoneburner. Mike Molle grabbed second as caution waved for debris.

On the restart, Molle took several looks on the inside of Hofbauer but could not get around. Yellow was out again on lap 3 when Paul Edler spun to slow the action. As green waved, Hofbauer slipped high allowing Molle to get along side, while Stoneburner fell another position when Kendall Sather got past.

Molle and Sather then put on a five lap wheel to wheel duel for the second spot, while Shroyer and Stoneburner were fighting for fourth on laps 7 and 8. That scrap gave Jake Durbin the chance to reel both in. Durbin got caught up completely when the caution came out for Rob Thies went over the hill in turns 1-2. Sather drove it in low on the restart, with the top three nearly three wide for the top spot.

Sather took second from Molle, but couldn't get by Hofbauer. At the crossed flags it was Hofbauer, Sather, Molle, Stoneburner and Shroyer in the top five. Sather got along side Hofbauer again on lap 14 and was able to clear to lead lap 15. Hofbauer faught back and tried to cross over, while Shroyer ducked around Molle for third.

With the groove changing from the high side to the low side positions were changing almost corner to corner as drivers adjusted their lines. Shroyer, who looked to be finding the fast way around first, then snared second from Hofbauer on lap 17. Molle kissed the back stretch wall on lap 18 in a multi-car battle for position.

With Sather still holding the point, Hofbauer and Shroyer were side by side for second, and Stoneburner losing another place, falling to sixth. With five to go the entire complexion of the race would change and determine the track points championship at the same time. While Battling with Shroyer and Molle for second, Hofbauer spun in turn 1, Durbin turned hard to avoid the spinning car of Hofbauer vand collected Stoneburner in the process, shooting both over the turn 1 hill.

Now with Shroyer restarting second and Hofbauer and Stoneburner on the tail, that gave the points lead to Shroyer. Shroyer would then jump up on the high side when green waved again to challenge for the lead. Shroyer went back to the low side to take the lead on lap 21. Molle was also trying high as he and Sather swapped second, with two to go.

With the a fight going on for second, Shroyer inched ahead to get a little breathing room as he took the white flag. Neither of the other two points contenders were making much headway, not making it back into the top ten. As the checkers waved it was Shroyer in his Hardcore Racing Engines/Midwest Cylinder Heads/Wiekert Iron and Metal/Marshalltown Community Y/Laurel Body Shop/M'town RV/Arnolds Motor Supply/Skyrocket Chassis.

Shroyer's win combined with Stoneburner and Hofbauer finishing out of the top ten gave Shroyer enough points to jump from third to first and add another Boone Speedway track championship to his total.

1. 00 Jeff Schroyer

2. 33M Mike Molle

3. 21 Kendall Sather

4. 21K David Brown

5. 15X Scott Baker

6. 93 Cale Sponsler

7. 23 J. J. Scott

8. 5 Todd Shute

9. 24 Robert Avery

10. 17B Ben Hoesing

11. 19C Rick Campbell

12 13 Tony Hofbauer