Butch Oliver

tommyo

OK, do any of you Meyer Speedway fans remember Butch Oliver? He owned and drove a modified in the early 60's. The body was a very cut-down 1949-51 Ford, but I don't have any idea what the chassis was. It was always #36, but I kinda remember the color being different from time to time. His car was very small long before the really small cut-downs dominated in the later 60's - OK, I remember one feature race, maybe in 1963 or perhaps 1964. Butch had started up front while George Nash had started somewhat further back in the pack. I don't remember how many laps the race was, probably 20 or 25 laps, but near the end of the race, Butch was running all alone out front and George had made up the difference and was catching him fast. Now Butch never won a race at Meyer that I remember and here he was, near the end of the feature event, being chased by one of the toughest drivers to ever run Meyer Speedway, and for awhile there, it looked like Butch might actually pull off the win. George caught and passed him near the end of the race and Butch, I believe, finished 2nd, his best finish ever at Meyer, at least to my knowledge. Does anyone else remember that night?? Better yet, does anyone have any photos of Butch or his little #36 car?

Archived