97 Ford F350

w2racing

Okay Guys.............My neighbors truck was going down the road when all of a sudden, the truck lost power (fuel pressure). Similar to running out of gas. I double checked and both fuel tanks are full. Truck acts like it wants to start, but does not start. She had replaced the fuel pump a few months back. Also, the fuel gauges are showing that the tanks are empty, but they are not. Any ideas on what the issue is? She is on a fixed income and could really use an angel to lead her down the right path.

is it a mechanical or electric fuel pump? ? look down in the valley between the heads for the mechanical pump. also the most common no start is a bad crank sensor ( front of the block next to the balencer). and then the Ipc ( looks like a oil pressure switch on the driver side head front top) look at those two closely

Okay Guys.............My neighbors truck was going down the road when all of a sudden, the truck lost power (fuel pressure). Similar to running out of gas. I double checked and both fuel tanks are full. Truck acts like it wants to start, but does not start. She had replaced the fuel pump a few months back. Also, the fuel gauges are showing that the tanks are empty, but they are not. Any ideas on what the issue is? She is on a fixed income and could really use an angel to lead her down the right path.

Is this truck a 7.3l Diesel? If yes, then CPS or ICP. If no then have fuel pressure checked.

Is this truck a 7.3l Diesel? If yes, then CPS or ICP. If no then have fuel pressure checked.

Yes, it is 7.3l Diesel.

Cps...they did have a recall on them so if that's it ford will replace it. It should also show up on a code reader

Yep and Yep... CPS first, then ICP sensor if that doesn't work.

CPS - Crank Position Sensor

ICP - Injection Control Pressure (sensor)

Also, make sure the three prong plug is pushed all the way in. ICP is on top of the motor at around 4 o'clock to the fuel filter bowl when viewed from overhead from the front of truck. The plug is a weatherpack type plug.

I have seen in one instance and it was a fluke that a injector harness went bad but truck still ran just ROUGH...

CPS is a 10mm bolt that can be accessed from the bottom of the truck. As Ford27 said, dealer should replace for free but may be iffy based on age?

Mark

Cps...they did have a recall on them so if that's it ford will replace it. It should also show up on a code reader

Also, make sure the three prong plug is pushed all the way in. ICP is on top of the motor at around 4 o'clock to the fuel filter bowl when viewed from overhead from the front of truck. The plug is a weatherpack type plug.

I have seen in one instance and it was a fluke that a injector harness went bad but truck still ran just ROUGH...

CPS is a 10mm bolt that can be accessed from the bottom of the truck. As Ford27 said, dealer should replace for free but may be iffy based on age?

Mark

My 96 F250 7.3 had 375,000 and they replaced it for free also ask about air filter fuel filter when it was replaced last air filter has whatumacallit/chingadera on side to let you know its stopped up

Mark

My 96 F250 7.3 had 375,000 and they replaced it for free also ask about air filter fuel filter when it was replaced last air filter has whatumacallit/chingadera on side to let you know its stopped up

The filterminder most likely wont keep it from running or keep it from starting...

Awesome on dealer replacing yours. I didn't want to get any hopes up as I don't represent a dealer, but it never hurts to try it.

I'm going with a 75% on CPS.

I replaced cps 3 times it still shuts off ,with no chck engine light 1999 7.3 351000 I dont know next is the IPC . this thread is helping me too .keep it going.

I would look toward batteries, grounds and terminations i know it will make them flip out if there isn't 100% perfect connection for the batteries. the Ipc sensor will mainly cause them to just run bad though they can stall do to a bad one. it measures oil pressure from the high pressure rails and the computer tunes the fuel to match for cold oil or hot oil since the viscosity and pressure will change due to engine temperature as well as rpm.

I replaced cps 3 times it still shuts off ,with no chck engine light 1999 7.3 351000 I dont know next is the IPC . this thread is helping me too .keep it going.

I would look toward batteries, grounds and terminations i know it will make them flip out if there isn't 100% perfect connection for the batteries. the Ipc sensor will mainly cause them to just run bad though they can stall do to a bad one. it measures oil pressure from the high pressure rails and the computer tunes the fuel to match for cold oil or hot oil since the viscosity and pressure will change due to engine temperature as well as rpm.

Just realized and remember to ask. If a truck has a chip on it, be sure to make sure the chip is still plug in... And yes the ICP does validate the oil pressure as well as tell the computer whether to add more or less fuel. I have even seen truck with 7.3 rough extremely rough and or die with low oil level. As mentioned since this is on the hpop side if the oil level is low the hpop pressure is low. (Also wrong oil will cause issues)

I still say CPS.

Thank you to all the persons that have gotten on and given her a place to start. She is still dealing with the issue and I don't know whether or not she has had anyone look at it. She had her truck towed to her Moms house and I have not seen her. So thanks agian to the folks that have given advise.

Thank you to all the persons that have gotten on and given her a place to start. She is still dealing with the issue and I don't know whether or not she has had anyone look at it. She had her truck towed to her Moms house and I have not seen her. So thanks agian to the folks that have given advise.

w2 where is the truck located?

w2 where is the truck located?

Truck is located a few miles south of San Antonio going out 281. At least that is where it was last time I talked to her.

Let's get together after Tuesday of next week. I should be settled back into the swing of things by then.

Would You mind asking them to verify the oil level please. The hpop needs good oil pressure to do it's job and if the truck is low on oil or has lost it's viscosity I have known 7.3's to stop running. I have had one report of a guy who lightly tapped on the cps and got the truck to run enough to move it till it could be towed. Another thing and I think I mentioned it earlier on, but there is a sensor called an ICP which is at about three oclock to the fuel bowl. I have seen the click that holds the connector to the sensor get broken during service and just pkugged in to eventually come unplugged due to vibration. Please ask them to verify the plug is seated in the sensor. *sorry this is not my picture) You will have to read it carefully to see (ICP) as it is labeled in red over picture...

Fuel Bowl and ICP

Sorry Nick, I had to use another forum...

If issue has not been solved at this point, you might pull the valve covers and check the wiring harness connections --- pretty common prob. on some 7.3. If that is the prob. it will kill the four cyl. on that side. May also check the wiring harness for rubs.

If issue has not been solved at this point, you might pull the valve covers and check the wiring harness connections --- pretty common prob. on some 7.3. If that is the prob. it will kill the four cyl. on that side. May also check the wiring harness for rubs.

I would say anything is possible... As You stated it would most likely be one bank of injectors unless it were in the main harness.

Have they been able to do anything with the truck?

I would like to say thank you to all that have help. Without knowing, she got her truck fixed a couple of days ago. It was the CPS. She had her brother replace the bad unit. Thanks Speedzone for giving us a platform to ask these types of questions, and get some really good advice.

Thanks again to all that help.

Archived