SAS Octoberfast

J-III

I agree with Mark about the use of radios in the street stocks . I'm sure more drivers will agree .

Its also good communication between teams sharing info and spotters talking to each other to understand whats going on that the others dont know.

I thought that was what I was trying to say! :lol:

Raceceivers, NOPE! I want to talk to my guy. If there is a car blowing up, running slower or whatever I want two way communication. We always ran three radios. Driver, Spotter and one crew member in case we needed to come in they knew ahead of time. I believe it is THR that doesn't run radios in the Streets and that is THR, but SAS had radios in Sportsman cars.

The problem with "lower" level classes (and I use that term loosely) is spotters don't just give info to driver and crew some tend to try to drive the car through the radio. I it doesn't necessarily stop when you get to the trucks, mods and late models. I kinda wish they would get rid of them all together and let the drivers drive by feel not bu spotter. Not the best thing to introduce for minimal number of events planned. The supers at the don't use radios and I think that is some of the best racing at the track. They have to be able to feel the other cars around them with only the use of one mirror. I say all of this with 6-7 years experience of spotting in the mds tsrs and even in the romco days. And I have never told my driver block or drive them to the wall etc. but I k ow for a fact hat happens.

i noticed on some raceweekends in nascar during the weekend arca runs their hoosiers and then you have the truck with their tire compund nationwide then sprint cup just wondering for my own knowledge and maybe others to why is this a problem? just trying to learn something thanks :)

I have never seen a car pick up speed cause of the addition of radios, fact of the matter is that radios save cars and make for safer racing. When SAS was open for regular weekend racing radios were used in almost all classes. With the rules being the way they are im sure Street Stocks will see some blistering speeds if not better but at least matching the current track record for Street Stocks. Street Stocks will just be to fast to not have radios. Like I said radios will not make you faster so why not allow them.

just my 2cents

i noticed on some raceweekends in nascar during the weekend arca runs their hoosiers and then you have the truck with their tire compund nationwide then sprint cup just wondering for my own knowledge and maybe others to why is this a problem? just trying to learn something thanks :)

I remember the announcers discussing what a problem it caused for the teams also. Not sure why it causes problems but I think I remember them discussing the chemical make-up of the different manufacturer's compounds.

Goodyears and Hoosiers have different hydrocarbon structures. What makes tires stick are the free electrons at the ends of hydrocarbon chains. Tires don't stick well if there are no free electrons (they get too hot and undergo a chemical change or they don't get hot enough to "excite" the free electrons) or if there are not enough places for the free electrons to "mate up with."

Oil is a good example of hydrocarbon chains with no free electrons. An overcooked race tire is another example.

Both Hoosier compounds and the Goodyear compounds are engineered to produce free electrons, but they are different enough to not "mate up" well. It's enough difference to cause some slickness until enough of the new compound is laid down.

Yes, I know, I know. Even different Goodyears and different Hoosiers have slightly different compounds, but that's mostly just difference in the "hardness" of the tire rather than the chemical process used to produce those wonderful free electrons.

Bottom line: It is always better to have the same basic compound on the track all the time.

Nick

Goodyears and Hoosiers have different hydrocarbon structures. What makes tires stick are the free electrons at the ends of hydrocarbon chains. Tires don't stick well if there are no free electrons (they get too hot and undergo a chemical change or they don't get hot enough to "excite" the free electrons) or if there are not enough places for the free electrons to "mate up with."

Oil is a good example of hydrocarbon chains with no free electrons. An overcooked race tire is another example.

Both Hoosier compounds and the Goodyear compounds are engineered to produce free electrons, but they are different enough to not "mate up" well. It's enough difference to cause some slickness until enough of the new compound is laid down.

Nick

Exactly what I meant to say. :lol:

Yes, I know, I know. Even different Goodyears and different Hoosiers have slightly different compounds, but that's mostly just difference in the "hardness" of the tire rather than the chemical process used to produce those wonderful free electrons.

Bottom line: It is always better to have the same basic compound on the track all the time.

Nick

This is typical "old guy" thinking--->scientifically offered, logical, objective.... ;)

jay

Archived