Mounting of lead weight

dancer52

Please check how your weight is mounted, I know of two cars that lost radiators last race (one of them mine) because someone didnt take the time to properly mounted. That 5$ and ten minutes you saved cost us alot of money. Luckily it was just money....from the damage we recieved...I am willing to bet the farm that the 3 1/4 rods in front of the driver (mine are bigger..but that is the standard min. size) would have done nothing to slow this weight down.

Just a few words about bolts...there not equal.

Lead must be mounted with 2 grade 8 bolts...they have 6 marking on top. If your bolt has no markings, there considered "shear" bolts...there supposed to break on impact (good for farming, bad for lead) 3 marks is grade 5....(still not good enough...but better)

I think metric bolts the 10.9 is supposed to be their grade 8 (could be wrong...I still measure in inches)

ALL THREAD SHOULD NEVER BE USED....sure its cheap and easy....for you...

Now...some weight clamps are being sold with something that looks like all thread....I am still on the fence about this stuff....but...from what I have read...its actually a grade 8 stud. But...even their not sure...I emailed speedway about it (just last week actually) and their techs even thought it was a grade 2 all thread.

One last thing....I have seen several cars with 3 or 4 pieces stacked together with bolts running thru all of them...the heigth of the weight alone puts a ton of force on a single shear line mount...not really a safe idea...also...duct tape, hose clamps and bailing wire......bad idea.

And..to whoever lost it...if you want...just bring by a 31 inch radiator and leave it on our trailer...no questions asked...lol

PS.

If you are still confused...or unable to mount your lead correctly...I am at the track by 3 most every race...let me know...bring the car by...I will mount it for you. AJ

I have seen that at every track I run....have even seen it from some top level competitors. I have seen lead shoved in the floor board..packed in mud...nothing else...

and batteries...I have seen them held down only by the cables connecting them....seen them mounted with bungee cords...or those nylon straps...plumbers tape (that super thin metal strap with holes in it) batteries weigh a lot...and have the added bonus of carrying acid...and the ability to expload...

just saying....

If you really want to get it done have track appoint 2 - 3 drivers per class to walk around for an hour doing only safety inspections. Obviously they need to be experienced knowledgeable drivers to accomplish this. Throwing it on the track w limited personal and alot of total cars things will easily get overseen.

i am guilty of a small piece being mounted in my compartment at the grand once that i mounted with a hose clamp stupid deal and no excuse ask a cop even they will tell you ignorance is not an excuse :( sorry to hear about radiator aj i have one if you need it

Archived