I-37 Speedway results/recaps 8/27/04

I-37 Speedway 8/27/04

By J M Hallas and Sarge Masom

Hard Luck for Hardcastle, Gives Witt #199

In his weekend quest for the 200th IMCA Modified win of his career, national points contender Henry Witt started outside row four in the 20 lap IMCA Modified main event. Neal Flanagan and Greg Dinsmore led the 19 car field to green, with N. Flanagan getting into turn 1 first to lead lap 1. Meanwhile, Witt had worked his way up to sixth getting by Michael Carlock for the position.

N. Flanagan and Nick Hardcastle were starting to creep ahead by lap 2, when Hardcastle ducked inside coming through turns 3-4 to get the point on lap 3. Steve Whitaker sr. grabbed third as he moved past Dinsmore on the same lap. On lap 5, Witt snagged another spot, taking fifth from Dale Flanagan, leaving him to battle side by side with Steve Whitaker jr. Whitaker sr. took the second spot on lap 6 getting by N. Flanagan. N. Flanagan fought back on lap 7, but was unable to retake the spot.

Caution waved on lap 7 when Dinsmore spun between turns 1-2 to rebunch the field. On the restart, Whitaker sr. was trying inside Hardcastle with the duo wheel to wheel briefly. Hardcastle held off the elder Whitaker, with Witt moving up third getting around N. Flanagan. At the crossed flags it was Hardcastle, Whitaker sr., Witt, N. Flanagan and D. Flanagan rounding out the top five.

Witt and Whitaker sr then began to battle for second with Witt looking low in turn 1 on lap 11. While Whitaker sr. and Witt scrapped it out for second, Hardcastle was inching away from that duo. With the lead trio separated from the field a good six car fight was raging for fourth between N. Flanagan, Lawrence Mikulencak, D. Flanagan, Whitaker jr., GW Egbert and Rookie of the Year points contender Trevor Egbert.

Ben Keyser brought out the second and final yellow when he had trouble out of turn 2 and slowed as the pack closed in. On green Hardcastle and Whitaker sr. got a slight jump on Witt with Mikulencak getting along side, but Witt was able to hang on to third. With five to go Hardcastle had several car lengths on Whitaker sr as the top four separated themselves. Whitaker sr, could close in through turns 1-2 but loose ground on the back stretch.

With two to go, it looked like Hardcastle would be able to go unchallenged for the win, and Witt would have to try another night for his 199th victory. But not so fast....... Coming to take the white flag Hardcastle spun between turns 3-4. Whitaker sr had to slow to miss Hardcastle’s car and Witt who had a run on the high side zipped by both to grab the lead as the white waved. From there Witt cruised on to get the checkers in his Midwest Motorsports/Dick Scott Ford/Centex GMC/Wilson Chassis Co./Affiliated Atuo Glass/Bartell Motorsports/Sliderracing.com./Danz Designs/Superior Race Fuels/Fastshafts/Allied Racing Wheels/Hoffman Chassis.

IMCA Modifieds

Pos/Car#/Driver/Start

1 701 Henry Witt (8)

2 189 Steve Whitaker sr. (6)

3 1x Lawrence Mikulencak (12)

4 89 Steve Whitaker jr. (7)

5 57 Dale Flanagan (4)

6 717 GW Egbert (11)

7 5 Dale Flanagan (1)

8 78 Trevor Egbert (9)

9 1 Jimmy Phillips jr. (10)

10 76 Michael Carlock (5)

11 55 Danny Brown (17)

12 31 Elias Anderson (19)

13 85/37 Bill Pittaway (18)

14 8g Greg Dinsmore (2)

15 R3 Ben Keyser (15)

16 94 Nick Hardcastle (3)

17 174 Mickey Helms (16)

18 95 Jeremy Davenport (13)

19 000 Max Helms (14)

32 Raymond Tague—DNS

Heat winners were GW Egbert, Carlock and Witt.

In the Limited Late Model feature, MK Wallace got out to the early lead in the 20 lap event. Justin Henley caught the leader, Wallace at halfway and the battle was on. The two swapped the top spot and ran door to door for several laps coming to the white flag. Henley made a crossover move coming out of turn 4 on the final to grab the win.

1 777 Justin Henley

2 48 MK Wallace

3 25 Carl Pitts

4 26 Ben Anderlich

5 13 Howie Marcx

6 11 David Boggs

7 14 Gary Hunter

8 02 Robert Williams

9 2x Dennis Hilla

10 11x Denny Schroap

11 33 Bill Boatwright

12 17 Ed Forsthye

The Pure Stock feature was my debut and with the car having points, I was on the pole for the 14 lap show. I was quickly overrun on the start by some of the faster regulars as the green waved but fell into position and avoided the spinning car of Jason Kelly. Points leader, Darin Leonard got the lead on lap 2, my luck wasn’t as good as I spun(or got spun). I stayed on the gas and was going to do a 360 but as I came back around I was staring at a pack behind me and decided to let discretion be the better part of valor. Once clear I resumed the race, without bringing out a yellow(hint, hint).

Johnny Torres caught Leonard and the two battled for the lead. In the meantime, I tried to settle into a rhythm and stay out of the way. As the leaders came up to lap me, I got squeezed between J. Torres and Chris McLendon three wide out of turn 4. I left have of the bumper cover hanging off J. Torres’ car as I got lapped.

J. Torres grabbed the lead from Leonard on lap 12, with brother Adam Torres moving in to second. Leonard retook the spot on lap 14, with the duo running side by side on lap 16. Meanwhile, back at the ranch..... I was still hanging in and closing on the mini-truck of Alan Torres to make a pass. I also ran down Danrel Pierce to take another spot as I finally got comfortable with the car.

As I started to catch back up with Leonard, I thought, “man am I getting faster?” but alas it Leonard slowing a flat tire and falling back to me. J. Torres would go on to get the win, but since the car was a registered Super Stock, just out for fun, brother A. Torres was awarded the victory.

1 66 Adam Torres

2 68 Dubba Hawkins

3 57x Jason Kelly

4 18 Allen Goree

5 11 Chris McLendon

6 26 Darin Leonard

7 67 Joe Horne

8 70 J M Hallas

9 29 Danrel Pierce

10 66x Alan Torres

11 580 Tom Williams

12 18x Shawn Moore

13 08 Chuck Vincent

14 74 Johnny Torres

Now I have to give thanx to numerous people for giving me another birthday present ride and taking up my chores to keep up with the racing I missed while being a driver.

The biggest thanks is to I-37 Speedway track promoter, Joe Horne and Padgett Auto sales for suppling me the car and all the Torres boys that helped set it up. Without them I’d have been a mere writer and spectator! Mr. Horne has been around racing for years as a driver and track

promoter and is one the truly nice guys in the sport.

To Mark Pivarnik and Sarge Masom for the use of all the drivers gear. Darin Leonard and Curt Clegg also offered to allow me to use their gear.

The ol’ Sarge gets the credit again for taking notes during the races I missed. No small task, to take notes and announce at the same time. He truly was the hardest working announcer last night! Good luck to Sarge in his drive at Texas Thunder Speedway tonight.

Archived