305?

creeves

I am building a 84 cutlass possibly for the dirt track the only thing is it has 305 in it . When you are racin dirt can you still tell the big difference in the 305 vs 350? And do you think I'm gonna get spanked bad every race? It's just in the bomber/ pure stock class.

Just let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Cody Reeves

hey there Cody glad to see you building a car for sts. while yes a 305 will be a bit lower on the power level than a 350 it is still a very reliable as well as race able power plant. it does have the benifit of an aluminum intake so you'll save around 20 lbs of weight there legally (if you don't have one on it now shoot me a pm and Ive got a few laying around). while I would be keeping my eye out for a 350 somewhere to rebuild for the future go ahead and run what you've got (if it runs). as far as performance upgrades I would recommend picking out things that will interchange later ( which is basically everything minus the block and pistons ,heads and gaskets) other than that I would run it till I got the handling of the car down. there's probably a few 305s or even the smaller 267 (i know of one) out in that class already

hey there Cody glad to see you building a car for sts. while yes a 305 will be a bit lower on the power level than a 350 it is still a very reliable as well as race able power plant. it does have the benifit of an aluminum intake so you'll save around 20 lbs of weight there legally (if you don't have one on it now shoot me a pm and Ive got a few laying around). while I would be keeping my eye out for a 350 somewhere to rebuild for the future go ahead and run what you've got (if it runs). as far as performance upgrades I would recommend picking out things that will interchange later ( which is basically everything minus the block and pistons ,heads and gaskets) other than that I would run it till I got the handling of the car down. there's probably a few 305s or even the smaller 267 (i know of one) out in that class already

Ok dang so I can run an aluminum intake , I'll have to swap that back. thanks for you help.

Cody Reeves

cool so should be to bad

thanks

I have an aluminum Holley intake, that's legal to run on 305 at STS?

I would say no to that one for the bomber class. I am referring to the stock 305 aluminum intake. some had it some didn't

alright.

thanks for yalls help.

Cody Reeves

The 305 will not make as much torque as the 350. This could be a good thing on a dry-slick track. Also it will help you learn how to drive a little easier(assuming you are a rookie). Build what you can afford and learn the driving and set-ups. Set-ups and driving skills win more races than motors do.

The 305 will not make as much torque as the 350. This could be a good thing on a dry-slick track. Also it will help you learn how to drive a little easier(assuming you are a rookie). Build what you can afford and learn the driving and set-ups. Set-ups and driving skills win more races than motors do.

dry slick ...dont forget pavement racen ...works there aswell ..i won most of my races with less motor at cc for three years ..junk motors .and beat alot of those drivers with the junk i collected from them ...that was the fun part ..just had to make my car run better through the turns .stand on it sooner and stay on it longer and out drive em out smart em ..

dry slick ...dont forget pavement racen ...works there aswell ..i won most of my races with less motor at cc for three years ..junk motors .and beat alot of those drivers with the junk i collected from them ...that was the fun part ..just had to make my car run better through the turns .stand on it sooner and stay on it longer and out drive em out smart em ..

Well that's good news I hope to be out there soon . I'm gonna try an race both tracks cc & STS but for sure cc speedway

Thanks

Cody Reeves

We were running 383s and 406s at Cajon. Rick Carrelli came by for an open comp and spanked us all with a well built 305... verified with not only a disp guage pre race but a top end tear down post race (he got a 150 lb weight break). So it CAN be done well - but requires a machinist with a plan!

We were running 383s and 406s at Cajon. Rick Carrelli came by for an open comp and spanked us all with a well built 305... verified with not only a disp guage pre race but a top end tear down post race (he got a 150 lb weight break). So it CAN be done well - but requires a machinist with a plan!

Well hopefully It'll run good. Can't do any mods since in bomber class but I hope she'll stay up there!

Thanks for all of yalls help,

Cody reeves

Archived