LIFTERS

HiTech

I BUILT A 289 .WITH 351 ALUMINUM HEADS .ROLLER CAM LIFTERS .ROCKERS AND ALL THE NICE STUFF ..LOL.....THE PROBLEM IS CANT KEEP THE LIFTERS SET ...6 SETS BLEED OFF AFTER SETTING ..I HAVE SET THEM THREE TIMES DEAD MOTOR AND BY FIRING ORDER ..AND ONCE RUNNING ..AND ONCE WE TURN IF OFF .AND RE FIRE IT .THEY RATTLE ....I CAN MOVE WITHOUT MUCH EFFORT THE ROCKERS SIDE TO SIDE .NO LOAD ON EM ...EVERYTHING IS BRAND NEW .//// OIL PRESSURE IS GREAT ...ONLY THING I AN USING DIFFERENTLY FROM WHAT I HAVE USED BEFORE IS JOE GIBBS BREAK IN OIL ..NOT CHEAP STUFF .EVERY THING IS FROM COMP CAMS .AND I AM GOING AROUND IN CIRCLES WITH THOSE GUYS ... IT MAY BE SOMETHING I AM NOT DOING RIGHT .THOUGH I HAVE SET MANY MANY LIFTERS BEFORE WITH NO PROBLEMS ..I HAVE NEVER SET THIS BRAND OF ROLLER BEFORE .....IF I REMEMBER THE NUMBERS RIGHT ..IT IS THE 851-16/ RETRO ......... THEY ARE NOT LIFTING THE OIL HOLE ABOVE THE LIFTER BOSS ..SO LET ME KNOW WHERE TO GO WITH THIS ..IS IT THE PRODUCT OR THE MONKEY WHO INSTALLED THEM ...

Isit the sameones every time?

the best i can remember ...been a week ......cylinder one ..two three ..5 .6.a couple of times 7.. ......funny part other than one lifter .they will oil down the fenders.....thats whats confusing....i am at about 30 to 50 thousands load .they have 150 thousands of float ..maybe a couple of more turns will fix it .hell i dont know ..never had this problem with so many before ..it could be me .just at this point i need help before i screw this costly motor up .it does not belong to me .ill put my pride off to the side ........i know someone will know what i could be doing wrong ..

ok i was not doing anything wrong . did not know this for sure till now ............but did notice it ..comp lifters now come coated inside and out ,,they do not require them to be soaked in oil ..but do require them to be soaked in mineral spirits or cleaner over night ..no instruction on that was present with items .....it seems this coating clogs up the lifter oil hole ......they are going to replace all 16 .at no cost ..live and learn........added note .i did clean and soak em in oil as i always do ..

you did remember to put in the third galley plug behind the distributor shaft right? (it's kinda tucked back in there pretty good) It will run and have good oil pressure but the lifters will rattle if you leave it out. I have seen people do that after they take a block to get hot tanked/machined and then put it together themselves.... not saying ya did it but I've seen it happen more than once

ok i was not doing anything wrong . did not know this for sure till now ............but did notice it ..comp lifters now come coated inside and out ,,they do not require them to be soaked in oil ..but do require them to be soaked in mineral spirits or cleaner over night ..no instruction on that was present with items .....it seems this coating clogs up the lifter oil hole ......they are going to replace all 16 .at no cost ..live and learn........added note .i did clean and soak em in oil as i always do ..

I was going to advise the same -we called it packing mud! Its like WD40 and hardens on the shelf. We soaked all brands of lifters in mineral spirits overnite then break in oil for at least an hour. You can chuck a push rod end in a drill press to use as a press (DONT TURN ON THE DRILL lol) to push em all clean after the MS bath... just be careful how you support em so you dont ding the roller. Supported in a can of 5/20 oil you can even get em to take some prime. What happened was you galled the inner bore when you ran it with the mud in em....

I was going to advise the same -we called it packing mud! Its like WD40 and hardens on the shelf. We soaked all brands of lifters in mineral spirits overnite then break in oil for at least an hour. You can chuck a push rod end in a drill press to use as a press (DONT TURN ON THE DRILL lol) to push em all clean after the MS bath... just be careful how you support em so you dont ding the roller. Supported in a can of 5/20 oil you can even get em to take some prime. What happened was you galled the inner bore when you ran it with the mud in em....

figured that ....you can bet after talking to them they will send a notice with em ..heck the tech person i have been dealing with did not know about the coating ......he thought i was crazy when i told him people were running into that problem .....i pulled them out and you can see the coating caked up around where the push rod seats ..i never saw that coating in there when i cleaned them out of the box . did not know they coated the inside aswell ....then again i don't build to many motors with comp parts .....live and learn ..

Archived