Nick Cole Crash at Thunderhill

ToryC

During Test-N-Tune Friday night at Thunderhill, Nick Cole's throttle stuck. He punched through the barrier and guardrail and fence in turn one and burst into flames.

Fortunately, everyone is okay.

But if someone had been standing along that fence and looked the wrong direction at the wrong time, this could have been tragic.

THR staff and officials cannot be everywhere all the time and cannot always police those individuals who breech the outer fence to stand along the inner fence closest to the track.

We are a racing community and a family. We want all of our family and friends to come home at night. Please... if you see anyone breech the outer fence to stand close to the action, do take a moment to remind them that these types of incidents not only CAN happen, but they DO happen. Look out for one another and remind your friends not to stand along the inner fence.

post-10304-1338620527.jpg

post-10304-1338620534.jpg

post-10304-1338620540.jpg

By the way, big thanks to Nathan Lavender and the THR safety crew and to all the race crews who responded quickly with fire extinguishers.

Another reminder that all pits should have their fire extinguishers out in the open and readily accessible to anyone who might need to grab one!

your hauling the mail into turn one . good brakes will lose the battle over stuck throttle every time ..plus the fact you dont have time to shut off the motor ......good thing he is ok ......anyone who sneaks into that area has no sense ,,,

That's a tough hit . I've posted the following before but if it helps a new reader....

Here's what I use. http://www.colemanracing.com/Kill-Switch-B...ated-P4529.aspx

I have battle tested it (air cleaner deformed after being KO'd by debris and jammed the throttle) and it worked in time to keep that car out of the fence. A downside to this $100 part is that the throttle was still mechanically stuck open even though the ignition was being interupted by the brake pressure switch. You still have to close the regular ignition switch manually before you let off the brakes. In this particular case, I didn't have time to knock the Brinn out of gear so the engine was shut down by the trans being in gear.

I have never noticed the ignition being momentarily interrupted by using the brakes in their normal fashion.

just fyi...

jay

Scary stuff! I'm glad to hear that no one was hurt.

All were fine. You know Nick... he climbed out and said "Man, I'm gonna need a whole front clip", then into his Thunderstock to resume practice! ;)

Can someone get a hold of Nick Cole and tell him to call me.

Cory

Archived