ROMCO @ SAS 8/14/04 results/Recap Added

ROMCO @ San Antonio Speedway 8/14/04

By J M Hallas

Young Gun Takes Second in a Row

San Antonio; For those that don’t follow the series regularly, can’t remember what you had for dinner or are thinking....San Antonio Spwy.....must be the multi-time track, and Sunbelt regional champion, Brandon Bendele. Not so fast my friend!

Qualifying was close with several drivers getting into the 18 second bracket, but when all was said and done, it was Eddy Wallace in the Henslee Auto Parts/Longneck Wrench/Matco Tools by Ray Loynes/Magnum Trailers/R&R Auto Parts/Chevy Monte Carlo putting up the best time with a 18.500 second lap. With the customary four car invert, Michael Crofford and Bendele held the front row spots.

The race got off to an auspicious start, for points leader Bradley Reithmeyer as he pitted during parade laps. Then Crofford wiggled on the start and backed up the field. In the freeway style stack up, Joe Aramendia got into John Kelly turning him sideways in front of the field. Tom Grotheus clipped Kelly and slammed the inside wall nearly full speed, with Reithmeyer spinning into Grotheus.

Grotheus car caught fire and track crews were quickly on the scene to get him out. Grotheus appeared to more mad than hurt, but the car will probably be scrapped. Kelly and Reithmeyer were both able continue after extensive repairs.

Crofford again had trouble getting going as the green waved again allowing Bendele to get a big lead on lap 1. By lap 5 Bendele had begun to show the dominance he has shown at the track over the years, leaving Crofford, Wallace, Greg Davidson and Tommy Grimes, in his wake. John Heil and Colt James were battling side by side for ninth, when James spun on the back stretch.

Bendele got a five car edge on green, with Davidson getting inside Wallace and grabbing third on lap 14. Davidson quickly moved in on Crofford and snared second on lap 16. Davidson was reeling in Bendele and got help on lap 18 when yellow waved. Heil and Kent Baltzell were fighting for eighth when Heil got sideways and collected Tuffy Hudson sending him airborn into the infamous turn 2 wall hard.

Back under green, Bendele and Davidson broke away from the field. Davidson began to look low on lap 32 in turn 4 and gain in turn 2 on lap 33. Going into turn 3 Davidson made slight contact withe Bendele, enough to slide him up the track allowing Davidson to move into the lead on lap 34.

Davidson, the 1999 ROMCO champion, had his reign out front cut short when smoke and flames began to show on the passenger side. Davidson was forced to give up the point on lap 44 when he pitted for the fire caused by a melted gasket spewing oil on the headers. Bendele regained the top spot on lap 45 with nearly a half straightaway lead on Crofford who had three car lengths back to Wallace, Grimes and T. Wade Welch.

At lap 50 Bendele was still motoring away, while Crofford fell into the clutches of Wallace, Grimes and Welch who had run him down. As the crossed flags were shown Bendele had about a five second gap back to Crofford, Wallace, Grimes and Welch. A caution on lap 64 erased Bendeles big lead, when James backed into the turn 3 wall.

On the restart Crofford tried to hang with Bendele while Wallace slowed from third. Crofford able to stay with Bendele as he was getting into the corners better, while Bendele got back on the gas earlier getting out of the corners. Grimes, the 2000 ROMCO champ slowly crept up on both on lap 75.

But by lap 80 Bendele was again inching ahead on Crofford who held a three car advantage over Grimes. Five laps later Bendele had increased his lead, while Grimes was putting pressure on Crofford for second. As the two battled, it allowed Welch to sneak up on them during lap 87.

As the race settled in to a good pace, Bendele continued to increase his margin with Crofford, Grimes and Welch far ahead of Baltzell in fifth. At lap 100, Bendele had again built a ½ straightaway lead. At lap 105, the lead was almost a full straight, while Grimes was trying to get by Crofford for second.

The yellow waved on lap 109 when Baltzell and Heil spun in turn 4. Bendele had just started to ease away again when caution was back out on lap 115 for Aramendia who hit the wall while battling for fifth. On the restart, Bendele took off and looked to run away with another SAS victory.

But fate reared its ugly head in the final laps when for some reason Bendele lost power and slowed on lap 121 giving Crofford the chance to get the lead. Bendeles car refired and he was able to hold off Grimes and Welch for second. As the checkers waved it was a surprised Crofford getting the win in his Cole & Cole Construction/Artek Welding Supply/Lone Star Motorsports/KAM Engines/5 Star Bodies/Global Services/Hypnotik Graphics/Howe Chassis sporting the MD Anderson Cancer Center Childrens Art Project colors.

ROMCO results

1. 51 Michael Crofford 125 laps

2. 8 Brandon Bendele 125

3. 22 Tommy Grimes 125

4. 13 T Wade Welch 125

5. 19 Kent Baltzell 125

6. 99 Doug Hooks 123

7. 57 John Kelly 122

8. 35 Greg Davis 116

9. 50 Joe Aramendia 115

10. 49 Bradley Reithmeyer 112

11. 55 Eddy Wallace 101

12. 3 John Heil 71

13. 15 Colt James 63

14. 26 Donnie Nesloney 47

15. 96 Greg Davidson 45

16. 61 Cory Lovell 45

17. 7 Tuffy Hudson 20

18. 11 Tom Grothues 0 (took green flag-acc)

19. 04 Cory Roper 0 (took green flag-acc)

. Then Crofford got sideways on the start and backed up the field. In the freeway style stack up, Joe Aramendia got into John Kelly turning him sideways in front of the field. Tom Grotheus clipped Kelly and slammed the inside wall nearly full speed, with Reithmeyer spinning into Grotheus.

So - crawford (#51?)caused this? That not what it looked like from where we were .....sorry bad finger pointing.

Either way not much room for an argument, It was an electrical thing either way. I wasn't disputing your account, I was adding to it. As to what happened on the start, I didn't see it, I was watching the frontrunners, but I didn't see how crofford caused it.

As to what happened on the start, I didn't see it, I was watching the frontrunners, but I didn't see how crofford caused it.

If you were watching the frontrunners thats where crawford was. Did you mean you dont see how he could have caused it? or you did not see any way he could have caused it?

Hey rebel, it was nice meeting you at the track and be able to put a face with a name for once! I just want to let you know I do appreciate the updates that you provide to this site to help us keep up with races we might have missed.

But - after reading this article I was wondering if maybe U missed this race ?

I guess that was confusing :) What I saw was The front runners enter the turn and I saw the middle of the pack go screaming by, I look back to the front, then I heard tires and saw John Kelly I think, maybe it was Bradley, It all kinda happened quick if you know what I mean ;) hit a sliding Tommy Grothues and him hit the wall at about a 60-75 degree angle. When I saw the hit My heart went up in my throat. It was hard. Since John and Tommy were at the back and I saw the middle pack go flying by, and I was watching the first 4 I didn't see how crofford could have caused it. Actually I would say there was no way he caused it. I'm glad to hear that when TG got out he was mad. That's usually a sign that everything is OK. ;)

No finger pointing was intended. At the start Crofford didn't get going as quick as Bendele so he either got loose/spun the tires, which slowed up the inside line behind him. Aramendia got into the back of Kelly and the rest is history, like Grotheus car. Hey, it was just a racin' deal to me. I had a good unobstructed view from the press box and saw Croffords car wiggle slightly. Sorry if you're taking in the wrong manner. How about I change it to "wiggled?"

Neither Jay...

A scotch is what some of those drivers were drinking...

Great story Reb, good to meet ya.

Kell

Archived