82-92 CAMARO

RobbinsSr

Wheel base is the ticket.. Most rules i have seen specify 108" or greater for V8 cars. You can find Mustangs in the Mini ranks but no Camaro since they did not offer a 4 cyl. during those years. Not likely to see them in the eco stock either since they specify FWD.

They are orphans now but can you imagine what the local track would look like with a V8 rookie division featuring 100" wheelbase cars. Mustangs and Camaros galore!! HINT HINT!!!

Wheel base is the ticket.. Most rules i have seen specify 108" or greater for V8 cars. You can find Mustangs in the Mini ranks but no Camaro since they did not offer a 4 cyl. during those years. Not likely to see them in the eco stock either since they specify FWD.

They are orphans now but can you imagine what the local track would look like with a V8 rookie division featuring 100" wheelbase cars. Mustangs and Camaros galore!! HINT HINT!!!

that would be fun .with large car counts .;...

• 5 weeks later...

The 1982 Camaro Sport Coupe was the base Camaro, and it came standard with the 2.5 Litre (151 cid) LQ9 four-cylinder engine. The V-6 and V-8 engines were all option engines that year in the base Camaro.

The 1982 Camaro Sport Coupe was the base Camaro, and it came standard with the 2.5 Litre (151 cid) LQ9 four-cylinder engine. The V-6 and V-8 engines were all option engines that year in the base Camaro.

wow .little pass your bed time ............cant remember a camaro with a four banger ..

wow .little pass your bed time

That was .wake up time...

The 4 cylinder was in response to the 1979/1980 "energy crisis."

Don't think the 4 cylinder thing lasted more than a year.

I bought one of those Camaros with the 4-banger at the auction. I never looked under the hood until I hauled it in to the shop. Imagine the look on my face when we popped the hood. No wonder it went so cheap. Sold the standard tranny & engine to Richard Garcia to put in the #0 TPS Chevette.

I bought one of those Camaros with the 4-banger at the auction. I never looked under the hood until I hauled it in to the shop. Imagine the look on my face when we popped the hood. No wonder it went so cheap. Sold the standard tranny & engine to Richard Garcia to put in the #0 TPS Chevette.

i could picture it ..the look on your face ..hay someone stole half of our motor ...

THAT IS A GOOD QUESTION ....WHAT SAY YOU MIKE ,,HOW ABOUT THE BACK SEAT .COULD IT HAVE BEEN THERE ..MAYBE UNDER THE CARPET ........INQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW .....JUST IN CASE WE RUN ACROSS ANOTHER ONE ....

82-92 2.5l tech IV 4 cyl was std. - but not many dealers pre-ordered the std, the most common "on lot" Camaro for this period was the 5.7 sport package. We built many of these engines for pony, bomber and factory stock classes.

AKA Iron Duke - it was NOT impressive until the 84 (2 barrel Fuel Injection and comp ratio up to 9.0 from 8.2) - and did not hit stride until 87 (roller lifters) and 88 (best one factory rated at 110 HP). The SUPER DUTY FOUR (sd4) from 87 up can make 232 reliable HP normally aspirated (a little cam risk, some porting and 275 is not out of the question), can be bored and stroked to 3.3l @ 335hp, was the basis for a NASCAR tour car series, and is still in use today in quite a few road series and such. One of the most notable "features" was you could break the cam gear and it would just stop running with no valve/piston damage! Later ones (90+) used a chain (junk - for no real reason they would give out anywhere from 75K miles or up).

Edit to add: I ran a 89 Iron Duke (with a 530 VacSec Holley) in my 72 Vega GT for about four months - folks thought it was a V8 Vega it was so quick - which is what inspired me to actually PUT a 327 in it!

Archived