Reb Ripped off in HOT SPWY. DJ/Celebrity race

Reb Ripped Off in HOT DJ/Celebrity Win

In the annual DJ/Celebrity race I was given the Pure Stock car of perennial front runner, Timmy Kemp and drew the outside second row as the 10 car field rolled onto the track. I followed Parker Williams by polesitter Brother Reno as the green flag waved and took the line away from Reno in turn 1 to grab second spot.

I stayed glued to Williams bumper as we quickly caught the tail of the field on lap 2. Williams took the low round and I took the chance to go high as we split the slower car three wide(YIKES!) at the flagstand. I was able to dive into turn 1 ahead of Williams to take the lead.(WOOHOO!)

Coming out of turn 2 on lap4, I was looking at the spun out car of #97 on the backstretch who brought out the caution. Under yellow, I tried to calm myself down and think, 'stay smooth, hit your marks.' Ya right, like that was going to help. As green waved I continued to hold on to the lead and again negotiated around another lap car or two.

Just as we were about to come to white flag, I was going into turn 3 and WHAMMO, Steve Dathman drove through the door and pushed me up the track in turn 4. As I tried to correct, the car got sideways sending me bouncing off the front stretch wall. Finally getting the car righted I continued on and held off Zack Owen for the second position.

Dathman went on to get the checkers, while I sat dejected in the car as we all stopped on the track for pictures. I finally climbed out and jokingly razzed Dathman for the last lap move. Though I wasn't really joking........Oh well I bettered my last years race by one spot and considered it a moral victory getting beat by a different class car(Hobby Stock) shod with Street Stock tires and beadlocks? Second overall and first in class ain't too shabby, I guess.

Fortunately the car suffered only a bent tie rod from my trip into the wall and it could have been a lot worse. In a side bet between Owen(Waco 100) and Darrin (from Z-Rock) the loser, Darrin will now be forced to wear only a yellow and black diaper and helmet to work on Monday. But it truely was fun, though I hate getting beat by getting run flat over.

I laughingly tried to protest the finish to promoter Gene Adamcek for the winner driving rough and being illegal. His reply was,"In the car you had, he should have never been that close." To which I replied, "If he hadn't had illegal tires, he won't have been able to catch me." He laughed and said, "Did you have fun?" I nodded, "Ya I had a blast!"

Now to the Thank you's;

Timmy Kemp veteran Waco driver at both Heart O Texas Speedway and Bellmead Speedway, has long been a force to be reckoned with in the class. Kemp took dual track championships last year, increasing his total to 5 track titles.

This year Kemp has 18 feature wins, despite missing several races. His multi-race win streak came to an end this weekend after getting spun in his feature and going to the tail. He then blasted back through the field to finish a close fourth. Currently he runs fifth in HOT Speedway Pure Stock points and second at Bellmead Speedway, while holding the top spot driving a Street Stock at Bellmead

The car is sponsored by Tempstar Heating and Cooling Products, Waco Carbonics, ACR Supply, Horseshoe Lounge, JoJo's Kustom Paint & Body and Jason Gants Sundown Machine. The powerplants are combination effort between Ronald Graham, Jerry Whatley, Johnny Wills and Joe Brashear.

I also need to thank the Robertson brothers, Mike and Sean for use of the drivers gear for the race. The brothers drive team cars in the Pure Stocks class sponsored by Brazos Valley Contracting and Computerized Auto Doctor. Mike, part of the Texas Motor Speedway crash crew, scored his first feature win of the year edging out Logan Saulter by a bumper. Sean's car was offered as a ride for me, but motor problems kept the car sidelined.

Finally to Gene and Mary Adamcek, as well as all the Heart O Texas staff, who always make me feel welcome whenever I get the chance to venture up north to the track.

I'm already looking forward to next year, when I hope to better my finishing position by one again and find myself in the winners circle!

Archived