Supermodified Book

racerep

I'm in the process of writing a book on Southern Supermodified drivers and I need to include a lot more Texas drivers that raced supers between the 1950s and late 1970s.

If you know of any old driver that I can contact by phone, please let me know. I also need photos and stories about racing during that time.

I owned the No. 10-4 super in 1967-68. We raced mostly at Five Flags and Mobile, but I met a lot of Texas drivers when they came to run the big races at Mobile.

Gerald Hodges

106 Vermell Circle

Daphne, AL 36526

251-626-4086

e-mail: hodges@race500.com

I'm not sure but didn't the supers run at a track in Jackson Miss. also?

Racerep

Jackson International Raceway was a half-mile asphalt. It opened in 1968. The last race was in 1986.

Prior to that, there was a track near downtown Jackson.

First thing I'd do is go talk to this guy, since he is nearer to you ----> www.niedeckenracing.com

Then head for Temple, Tx. and talk to a fellow named Bill White. Those two would be a good start.

Thanks, I've got a lot of info and photos on Wayne Neidecken Sr. Do you have a contact number for Bill White? He was a one of hte great ones. I'd really like to also contact drivers that didn't reach the level of racing that Neidecken and White did. This book is about all super drivers.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm in the process of writing a book on Southern Supermodified drivers and I need to include a lot more Texas drivers that raced supers between the 1950s and late 1970s.

If you know of any old driver that I can contact by phone, please let me know. I also need photos and stories about racing during that time.

I owned the No. 10-4 super in 1967-68. We raced mostly at Five Flags and Mobile, but I met a lot of Texas drivers when they came to run the big races at Mobile.

Gerald Hodges

106 Vermell Circle

Daphne, AL 36526

251-626-4086

e-mail: hodges@race500.com

Gerald, You may want to check the previous posts for meyer speedway and I also have many super mod photos from Houston Jackson Mobile Five Flags ETC. My Dad owned and built Supers That were drive by Ival Cooper, Billy Perrin, Butch Harris and several others from 65 to 78. The Supers were nmber 3 Blue and White and I am restoring onenow. Sure would be cool to find some of the old Supers and restore them. If you would like to call me my number is 337-296-6472 DAvid Garner

there are some photos of supermodified cars from meyers in meyers photos on this forum george nash ran supers and theres more drivers names in meyers photos

Well I cant be much help to getting you in contact with these drivers, other then to tell you to look them up on face book. I know Larry Schild is on there. Red Garner who was a car owner for ages, is on face book. The problem is so many of those people have passed away. My Dad was a mechanic and machinist on several of those Super Modifieds they were his Saturday baby and he loved to run down to Mobil and Jackson for the weekends. He kept many cars running from I.H Buddy Evans, Red Garner and Buster Otts turned a few wrenches for the Stodders as well. My dad is RC Bob Brown and was great friends with Billy Perran. Billy Perran drove the numbe 3 for Red Garner and the 60 for Buster Otts which was always in Mobil and Jackson, MS but he passed away in 1980, and my Dad passed in 97. Jackie Woosely would be a great contact and memory source for you as well but I am not sure how to contact him either. As far as I am concerned Red Garner would be your best source for how to contact these people. Another good source for you would be Houston Attorney John Barker also known as Little John his office number can be found in the local phone book. I apologize for running you into what seems to be dead ends. Please update me on your book when it is published, as I would love to read it and see the pictures. At this point in life all we have is our child hood memories as the men and our lives have passed on we seem to have lost contact with each other. Oh you can also ask around on the Meyer Speedway forms for contacts, you might get some help there.

Archived