Admission Prices

WildRacer5

I have not been to THR yet this year but I heard that they were charging $12.00 a piece for admission price. I know that is is the same price as SAS but I just think that is just way to high for a "Regular season points night" With only 7 late models. Yeah they have a lot of street stocks but only a couple of Hobby and pure stocks. I'm not sure that it is worth that much.

I don't agree with the $12.00 dollars at SAS when they only have two classes of cars.

What happened to the old days of the great $8.00 gate? Has the cost of racing gone up that high?

You are right wild,that is way to high at sas for 2 classes and not even 20 cars in each class,Mike needs to get real ,just cause its NASCAR sanctioned,he dont need NASCAR prices.I know its dirt,but we go to Abileen for the Southern Challenge in Oct. and there are over 100 mods and 40 i-stock and 3 other classes,a but load of racing,with a 3 day special like that and its only 8 dollors each day to get in.

Unfortunately if your going to make a profit you have to have prices higher than 8 or so dollars. The reason why they can charge 8 at Abilene is #1 they had the car count to support that admission price. They would have made even more if Fri night wasn't rained out also becasue they didn't have to pay anyone that night. Abilene probrobly made a boatload of money on that race but for the rest of the season they probrobly break even. You also need to realze that was acually two events and they wont have half that many cars untill the Southern Challenge. Untill there are at least 30 to 40 more cars in the infield I doubt you will see the prices come down. Also, I think that goes the same for any track wither it is CC THR HMS or SAS. Its a big circle and we've been through that in other posts. I remember back when SAS was like 5 to 8 bucks to get in and when it went up to 10 my dad decided that it was getting too expensive to go so for a matter of 3 to 4 years I only saw about 3 or 4 races. If you lower the amount you charge either in the pits or the grandstands its going to suffer somewhere else, and vise versa.

SASR24,

You are right in the aspect that it is a on going cirlce of problems. In the case of SAS, not very many race fans want to watch a pair of races with 15-20 cars each and pay the admin price for 3-4 classes of racing. I realize that you can't lower the price until car count gets better and then raise the ticket prices. But at the current circle if there are not very many cars to start with, fans won't pay the high tickets cost and the front gate loses money. In turn the promoter will start charging more at the back gate to make up the difference. Less teams will wont to pay the increase and quit racing makeing a lower car count. Then that will make less people want to show up at the front gate.

Their is more to making a sucessful track than just promotions. As it was mentioned on another threads "It is the amount of butts in the seats that pay the bills. With everything else there is to do out there today on Fri & Sat nights the track have to get more bang for the consumer entertainment dollars. That is why all of the touring series have a bigger crowd. Even thoguh the front gate prices are higher you get more bang for the buck.

Guys and gals...

I'm very impressed with what's written here. And, you all are right--it's a vicious circle, and if it doesn't get better the race teams (back gate) will start picking up "the tab" for the lack of fans at the front gate...

That's why I've been saying since January that the Touring Series are the future of local racing...At TSRS, we've been VERY lucky to get the driver support and the fan support that we've been getting...and, with ROMCO, TAMS, Legends and Texas Pro Sedans...you can see where this is going...

As Joe Aramendia pointed out, local race tracks need EVERYONE's support..however, if the local tracks can't attract a good car count, thus bringing in a good amount of fans...((and the vicious circle starts again!))

Have a great day, all!

Chuck L.

Chuck,

Touring series are not the long-term solution to the basic problems at short tracks. As touring series make more and more frequent stops at local tracks, they become less and less special. They become the norm. Touring series are at their best when they add excitement and variety to the regular weekly shows.

In the end, it is up to our local tracks to find ways to fix their car count and fan count problems, not the touring series.

Nick Holt

Nick....I think you hit it on the head,you need to make it affordable for a family to go to the races,if you get 10 new fans in the stands hopefully you might pick up a potential driver,for instance,a family comes out to the track and become big fans,this guy might say,hey this looks fun,and put a car together himself,one more car added,but wouldnt be if the fan says its way too expensive to even go watch,you cant pentilize the fans for low car count by raising the front gate,every fan in the stands could be a potetial car on the track.Its the promoters job to get the cars to the track,not fans,by way of rules,payout etc,etc.The rules and classes of cars have to be made more affordable to the general public to get more cars.I hope SAS can figure this out or Im afraid the track will become a dying breed like others are becoming.

I'm not saying that it is the touring series job to make local racing better. All I was trying to say was that more people want to show up for those events because it is a better show. More cars and different cars make it better for the fans.

As far as SAS the biggest problem that they have is that they made changes to far into the off season. they stated that due to lack of interest the SSS would no longer be at SAS. Hind site is always 20/20 but I think that a field of 8-12 cars in a SSS race is still better than watching 1 or 2 bombers run arround the track for 5 laps. Hopefully next year the Roadrunners will take off.

Archived