The Build

ZIPPYHIPPY

Very nice

Thank you for all the KIND comments.

The builder and I have alot of heart and soul and everything else it takes to build one from scratch in this project as many racers can relate I am sure. This was to be my retirement race truck....... tried to do it right and the best we could do and run it until I stop racing. I would Love to hear any constructive critism or comments anyone might have. I have many photos if this thread stays open I will add photos in the days to come. Thanks for Looking

Beautiful truck! I was wondering if you could fill us "Fans" in on how you started and what took place during the build. Is this chassis your design, how long did it take, etc. Most people(like myself) enjoy watching you guys and gals drive these things but dont know much more than that. I dont want you to give away any secrets but some info would be great. And more pics too. Thanks

Beautiful truck! I was wondering if you could fill us "Fans" in on how you started and what took place during the build. Is this chassis your design, how long did it take, etc. Most people(like myself) enjoy watching you guys and gals drive these things but dont know much more than that. I dont want you to give away any secrets but some info would be great. And more pics too. Thanks

I am glad to see the " FANS " take interest in all aspects of local racing from the ground up. There are no secrets to hide here...I hired John Heil w/ BMF Shocks & Chassis to build this one he has been my crew chief for the past 2 years for all the WILD CHILD Motorsports cars & trucks. This is his first truck he also built 3 pro Mods in the off season one of which WON at THR this past weekend the # 79 of Joe Armendia. I have attached the HMP 2012 Truck Rules if you are interested on a fabricator view of information given to him to build a piece like this one pay close attention to page 7 sec. S & pg 12 Illustration 3 which this chassis was built off of. Be sure to contact the Tech official and offer to bring the chassis to him or have him look at it before going to powder coat as we did. Even though he saw no reason to look at ours he did verbaly correct us on the right side door bars that we added to correct before powder coat.

John Heil and I both got many complements on the truck this past weekend at THR from Fans, competitors & Local trusted Chassis builders as well. the kinda stuff that makes all the hrs , blood, sweat and crying pocket book seem Worth It !! I would be glad to answer ANY questions anyone might have and if I do not know them I will ask John H. for the answer you seek. I will post more pictures of the build in the next day or so. Thank you again for your interest in this project..There is More to this Story !!!

12NASCARTRUCKRULES.pdf

Beautiful craftsmanship!!

love that color blue!

I would feel much safer in that race truck then a 13+ year old arts chassis!!!!!!!

I am curious Why would you feel Safer in this Truck we built to the rules given to us & by the diagram would you agree ?......You have been in Racing many years & have WON in several classes ...I value your opinion if you care to share it.

OH Yea the Blue Kinda does POP out at you...... me likey !!

Its easy to see that a lot of skill and time goes into building these monsters.I read the PDF of the rules and I noticed it said that the GM 78-87 "G"body (108.1")metric frame was the only one allowed. Im sure Im about to open up a big ol can of worms with this question but here goes anyway. Why use a frame at all? Why not just tubing with the specs just like the OEM frame? Im sure these are getting a little harder to find now days.I would think a tube frame would be cheaper($$) and easier to repair. Those stock frame could be used by the more stock classes. Times are changing in the racing world and money is getting harder to come by. And wouldnt it be eaiser for someone to run a Ford or Dodge motor if they wanted to? Like I said...Im not trying to stir the pot here. Im not all that savey on this kind of thing.

Would still like to see some more pics and any stories you might have on the build. ( like how many beers and cuss words did it take to get it built. :lol: ). How many feet of tubing goes into one of these things? How many man hours. etc. Thanks for doing all this by the way. I know all you racer and crews do this for the love of the sport but you also are doing it and spending all that money for us(Fans).

(Nick...if this question is out of place in any way feel free to remove it. I dont want to start a TECH war or anything like that).

PAPA, there are major difference between a tube frame and a stock frame, not to mention a host of minor ones. The location of the suspension pick-up points, cross member heights, frame heights, weight distribution, etc., come to mind immediately.

Suspension geometry is very important in a race car and with the stock frames everyone faces the same geometry issues, same frame height issues, etc, and the chassis itself becomes a "limiting factor" in the handling performance since Detroit made sure their cars don't handle. There is absolutely no way a tube frame chassis and a GM stock chassis are equal.

A great deal of time, effort, thought and cheating have gone into making the GM stock frames to appear "stock" while subtle (and sometimes blatant) changes to ride heights, geometry, motor mounts, steering mounts and dozens of other changes give a team an advantage over those dumb enough to run a purely stock chassis.

Nick

What happens when these frames are no longer around?

Exactly! And that time is coming sooner than later, hastened along by the recent "cash for clunkers" highly sucessful - for who, I don't know - program.

As for the Nick's reply, I would say "That's why God invented tape measures and angle finders". :lol:

Darn good question, PAPA. I don't have the answer and as far as I can tell, nobody else does either.

Many believe that as the supply of stock frames dries up, classes running those frames will dry up too. What will replace them? Your crystal ball is as good as mine, I'm sure, but I see a trend towards smaller cars using production bodies like the current Eco Stocks, Mini Stocks, Front Runners, etc. That's what are in the junk yards these days.

Nick

We're getting close to that now. Used to be, people would pay you to haul off these cars. You could salvage the rolling chassis and sell the body for scrap metal. Then came "cash for clunkers" and the Hip Hop'ers wanting them to make low riders. The last bare chassis (no suspension) I sold for $300. That tells me they're getting scarce.

But there's hope on the horizon-----the Chinese are coming to the rescue with an aftermarket copy of the metrics as well as the early Chevelle. <_<

We're getting close to that now. Used to be, people would pay you to haul off these cars. You could salvage the rolling chassis and sell the body for scrap metal. Then came "cash for clunkers" and the Hip Hop'ers wanting them to make low riders. The last bare chassis (no suspension) I sold for $300. That tells me they're getting scarce.

But there's hope on the horizon-----the Chinese are coming to the rescue with an aftermarket copy of the metrics as well as the early Chevelle. <_<

the Chinese have been building the reproduction chevelle clip for awhile and most of the top name chassis builders (dirt) have been using them for awhile, i agree and think it won't be long before builders are able to purchase an aftermarket copy of the "metric" chassis aswell

New pics added at TOP...I will get specifics on amount of tubing.....I believe the chassis was on jig 5 working days.....another 7 to get welding completed & into roller.....I will ask onthe time for pedals, steering and first body fit and then Thats where TIME stood still after powder coat many..... many....many countless man hours of meticulous craftsmanship on interior, hanging body, deck, suspension, setup, and all the bells and whistles until FULLY Dressed. Aaron @ CNC Graffix did an AWESOME Job on the Graphics Design and installed the night before THR Practise last friday.

Thanks again for Looking

I was wondering how safe a chassis could be that was built 10 years ago? You can powder coat an old chassis and you still have an old chassis that will flex and break at the welds.
Strip the chassis down and get it sand blasted then look over all the welds and what tubes are bent if any. If everything looks good then powder coat it and the chassis is like new. As long as a chassis has been well painted or powder coated to cover the metal from being exposed, its no different then a new chassis.

Archived