1990 chevy 3/4 ton

norman

i have a 1990 chevy 3/4 ton i had the motor rebuilt it ran fine for about two weeks in the last week while driving it the motor shuts off and back fires i take it out of gear turn the key off and restart it and it runs fine for a little while then it happens again i took it back to the place that did the motor work they said they did the work on the motor only does any one have a answer to what could be wrong

pull the coil and ign module .check em out ,,autozone can check both of em for you ......plus make sure they grounded the motor with the firewall or fame .also check the distributor for side to side slack .....could be damage to your pick up coil...if

thanks hitech for the help i replaced the coil about three months ago i plan on taking the distibutor out and look at it i got some time wating for the race at daytona to start thanks again

thanks hitech for the help i replaced the coil about three months ago i plan on taking the distibutor out and look at it i got some time wating for the race at daytona to start thanks again

Something else you may check ......this little sensor will create a TON of problems......AUTOZONES PART NUMBER SU109.. about $12 bucks .its the temp sensor right below the thermostat housing just to the left side on the intake facing up at you .....make sure the plug is getting a good connection ...IF THE TRUCK RUNS GOOD COLD AND AFTER WARMS UP .GOES TO BLANK ..THIS IS most probably NOT WORKING ......HAD AN OLD MAN WHO WOULD NOT TAKE MY ADVICE OR ANYONE'S .....IT COST HIM $900,00 TO LEARN HE SHOULD HAVE TAKEN IT ..AFTER CHANGING INJECTORS ..FUEL PRESSURE REG...DIST ..ALL WIRES . PLUGS COIL .FUEL PUMP AND OTHER PARTS .HE STILL HAD THE SAME PROBLEM ..WOULD NOT STAY RUNNING ..SU109 ...SIDE NOTE I SELL THE HECK OUT OF EM .....GOOD LUCK .. WHILE YOU AT IT MAKE SURE YOUR COOLANT LEVEL IS GOOD .. IF YOU HAVE AN AIR POCKET AT THAT SENSOR IT CANT DO ITS JOB .

backfires out of intake or exhaust? either way the only reasons why anything will backfire is either it is running mega rich or the ignition or valve timing is off to where the spark is hitting before a valve is closed or you've git a plug wire crossed somewhere

Archived