Origins of today's Limited Modified

wolfpack1

Typical Lone Star Speedzone forum thinking. Everything happened in South Texas. IMCA was running Limited Modifieds in the 1970's, long before Battleground was built, so was Buffalo Park, Cowtown, Crandall, the list goes on and on.

lol..I dont know what to say....but.. I would bet the name limited modified goes back much further than 1970....some people always have to turn a post negative....must be human nature.

I am pretty sure that Tommy was just asking who started the current limited class (The southern sports mod)....

If I remember right...the original rules would not even let front or rear loops....was supposed to be very cheap...(they were super goofy looking too)

But...on a side note...I like the new limited that south texas is trying to start....AJ

• 2 weeks later...
Typical Lone Star Speedzone forum thinking. Everything happened in South Texas. IMCA was running Limited Modifieds in the 1970's, long before Battleground was built, so was Buffalo Park, Cowtown, Crandall, the list goes on and on.

They might have been called limited modifieds back then, but it was a completely different class. As I remember them, they were limited to 310 cubic inches. At some tracks they ran wings, at some they didn't.

Today's limited class originated as SIMS (southern independent modified series?) in the Houston area. They were originally 450 lift cams, 9:1 compression, and a cheap GM head casting that was very common at the time. I'm not sure how long they might have existed in Houston, but they eventually started running them in D/FW too. I think 85 Speedway in Ennis was probably the first to start running them. Of course, like most classes they've long since ruined it by letting the engine expenses get out of hand. They are popular though, because they are still much cheaper than the regular mods.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived