Can track success make it easier to find sponsors?

abrungot

I signed the biggest sponsor I ever had (12K in 1993 size dollars) in the off season after I won the Super Stock championship.

It "might" have made a difference to the sponsor but is absolutely made a difference in my self confidence during the proccess. The track was well attended in those days and I had put together attendence and fan demographic data that resonated with the sponsor. I believe the track's successful marketing/advertising and attendence was a large positve factor.

jay

that's completely true. there's no free money, then or now. we spent a lot of time fixing Friday night's damage in time for Saturday afternoons appearance at a radio remote or similar. Later, with the 5 star bodied car, I had a set of skins that were painted to match but only were used to fix damage for shows/displays. The hood on my shop wall today is one of the "display only" body parts :lol:

In a 20 race season, I would estimate that we had display obligations 30-35 weeks during the year.

jay

Aaron.....maybe you should have added...

Does a tracks public exposure........

Agreed.

There are several of us in Texas that have heard of places like Slinger, P-cola, Berlin, Kalamazoo and so on. All popular venues. However, Ive met a few guys from Slinger and the Zoo and none ever heard of Kyle, Corpus, or Wichita Falls. Sponsors who are fairly avid race fans are more apt to be interested in something thats popular. Even though THR has had some Nascar West series races it still hasnt poped up on the wide spread short track radar. And NO, I dont know why, or what should happen. Im just saying that potential sponsors could shy away from something that they havent heard from before or isnt in the popular concensus.

BTW, the reason I did not mention HMP is becuase Houston has had so many race tracks and is such a popular city that most everybody outside the area would say they think they remember the place. ;)

Aaron is famous for these sorts of questions that may, or may not, be designed to stir the off-season pot. While I am not against these sorts of threads, we need to be sure they don't degenerate into threads that point out the shortcomings of particular tracks or their staff.

That being said, I will join in the discussion.

We need to keep in mind that most of our Texas short tracks, both dirt and asphalt, rarely, if ever, host "national" events. Getting the word out to the entire national stock car racing community about a regular Saturday night race night in East Muleshoe is not something that is either productive or even possible given the limited resources that are typically available to most locally owned race tracks.

Yes, there are a few Texas dirt tracks that do host and promote national events and those tracks do a great job of getting the word out about their events. And, as a result, some national sponsors are frequently part of those events.

But the reality is that finding sponsors is pretty much up to each individual team and each individual race track. Would it be easier to land a sponsor if they knew that 10,000 people attended each and every race night and that their logo/ad would be seen by a national TV audience? Of course. That's a no-brainer.

Lone Star Speedzone generates around 15K unique visitors a month. Do you think all of those people are from Austin or Houston or Wichita Falls? Not according to what I see on Google Analytics every month. And the Umscheid Race Services Live Interactive Updates are viewed live by between 200 and 600 people, but the big numbers come as folks read the "replays." The last race at HMP generated 418 live viewers but has generated over 3,000 reads since that night. Again, not all those folks are from Houston.

The point is that some tracks are taking advantage of what's available to them and that's a plus for everyone. Most of the Central and South Texas tracks do indeed take advantage of the exposure available to them via LSS and I expect several other Texas tracks will be joining in the fun in the future.

Bottom line: Yes, it would be easier to land a sponsor if the track you run at were known to everyone in that potential sponsor's geographic area.

Nick

Archived