What would I do

toybox racing

I have been reading all these post, and I can't believe what I'am reading. I have always wanted to build a track and if that chance ever came about, like it has for Danny I think I would tell all of you whinny ass racers to sick it. Iam a racer, and I bitch, but come on people do you want another place to race or not. Keep it up and see what happens. I can't speek for Danny, but I have a uncle that built a indoor pool in his house and for 4 months his wife did nothing but bitch about what size it was, how long it was taking, ect,ect, He bulldozed it back up at 99% complete! LET IT GO PEOPLE, BE GLAD WE HAVE ANOTHER TRACK BEING BUILT.

Also, for all those thinking Iam kissing a$$ with Danny, I don't even know yet if my class is going to race or not.

Which replies are you refering to? Questions about the progress? Or maybe someone voicing there opinion and it doesn't match yours, so therefore it is bitching.

Wayne, everything in general. I haven't seen very much positive feedback on these threads, you think someone willing to build another track for us to race would get a little more positive things said then what Iam seeing, And as for my opinion I could care less what other peoples problems are. I don't do drama.

Which replies are you refering to? Questions about the progress? Or maybe someone voicing there opinion and it doesn't match yours, so therefore it is bitching.

Wayne, everything in general. I haven't seen very much positive feedback on these threads, you think someone willing to build another track for us to race would get a little more positive things said then what Iam seeing, And as for my opinion I could care less what other peoples problems are. I don't do drama.

I hate to be the one to rub AGAINST the grain here but you would think that someone willing to put up all of that money would want to spend it in a way that would make more people than not happy; not just some "race track owner fantasy". Label me as the bad guy here but after over 100 posts in the same thread it still hasn't rest yet...that's a sign.

All tracks and all track owners/promoters have to deal with the strong personalities found in the racing community. It's just part of the deal. Sooner or later they will figure out how to deal with the barrage of strong-willed folks coming at them from all directions.

But I have found that most of what some would call bashing is actually just well-meaning folks trying to make a suggestion that they believe will help the track. Others are simply trying to protect their existing investment by trying to manipulate the track into making their rules and classes fit what they have sitting in their garage by generating public in the forums.

And, yes, there are some who just like to complain no matter what. I call them Boo-birds. Doesn't matter if you shot 'em with a golden bullet and buried 'em in a silver casket, they'd still be complaining.

And in the case of Cotton Bowl Speedway, I believe the owner asked for input at some point. Maybe he didn't anticipate the volume and diversity of input, but input he got! It will all sort itself out sooner or later, but in the meantime they must be wondering what they've gotten themselves into! LOL

Nick

I hate to be the one to rub AGAINST the grain here but you would think that someone willing to put up all of that money would want to spend it in a way that would make more people than not happy; not just some "race track owner fantasy". Label me as the bad guy here but after over 100 posts in the same thread it still hasn't rest yet...that's a sign.

Here's something for you to contemplate. Do you think this track is being built to appease your fantasy or the owner and promoter's fantasy? If I had the money to build the track, it would look like I wanted it to look. I might take your ideas into consideration, but in the end it would be my fantasy, not yours. One of the worst things (in my humble opinion) a track owner can do is ask for public opinion about the track. However many people respond is how many views they will get. A track owner needs to have a circle of advisors (preferably not family, sponsors and not necessarily the racers with all the money)who can help with the myriad of decisions. But, ultimately the track will most closely resemble the owners fantasy, not yours. My advise, if you want to influence the operation of this track, become a trusted advisor..........and you can't do that overnite by posting negative comments on LSZ.

I recommended attending to RPM Promoters conference next month in Reno. I attended in 2006 and learned that although I thought I knew a lot about the daily opertions of a race track, i really only had a small amount of what it really takes. I learned more in those 3 full days of sessions than I ever thought.

Good luck to all.

Nick makes some good points. I would probably be one of the ones perceived as a boo bird although I'm just expressing my opinion. If the track would respond it would squash most of these threadd/banters,look at the thread started about the progress, a couple of comments then a straight answer by someone I'm assuming is from the track and the end of the thread. Happy thanksgiving to all and be safe if your driving.

Joenut

My recommendation is to stop and never again ask the drivers for opinions. Based on surrounding tracks and there is plenty make your own decisions. When the opinion gate is opened it goes down hill from there. Everyone prefers their hamburgers differently no different for racetracks and there is no way in hell you will be able to satisfy all opinions so why even open that can of worms. Just build it, open it and run it right. They will come.

Why is it that whenever someone has a comment or opinion that doesn't "CONFORM" to what other want or think they are labeled bitchers/complainers.....

....and wouldn't those bitching about the bitching be just as big as other offenders.....Just sayin'

Or how about those bitching about the folks bitching about those bitching? Just sayin' ... LOL

Nick

Ok guys, let"s see if I can somewhat clear the air. I have said on a number of occasions, that I would respond to comments after Thanksgiving.

Building this track began as a dream of mine 3 years ago and after deal upon deal fell through, some because of investors and some because it just didn't feel right, God put me on the right path with the right partner. Money was a big issue and you need to understand something, I wasn't pitching this dream as a money maker but rather a money loser. Yes, a real life tax shelter and that is exactly what this venture is. It was not important to my partner that we make money, she makes enough, the problem was she just sold her race horses and needed a place to put that money along with more. I'm telling you all of this because the intention was to build a place for kids and families to go, be safe, and have fun. The fact that grown men get to race every Saturday night is just a perk and if we can't do it in a safe and fun manner, she would just rather us hold concerts or bike races.

Now, let's move on to your biggest questions:

#1) What classes will you run?

I have on our cotton bowl website a list of the four guaranteed classes, and we will also be holding special events for the mods, limited late models, mini sprints, and sprints. I would like to run a 305 sprint class on a regular basis. I told those of you that showed up for ground breaking to approach me with reasons why I should consider your class and my door is still open. Regardless of my decision on classes and schedule, I will be unable to make all of you happy.

#2) IMCA or NOT?

I contacted IMCA and to date have heard nothing, and to me that speaks volumes. I would like to think at the very least when the mods are racing it will be sanctioned, the fact is, at this time I don't know.

#3) Saturday or Friday?

I think you all know by now, Saturday.

#4) Progress?

After hearing all the complaining about the size of the track and how much everyone is concerned that the speeds are too fast and it will cost too much for motors, I have gone back to my engineer and re-sized the track. the overall dimensions of the track will be 700 feet long X 350 feet wide, the lanes will remain the same 75 feet. I suspect that even this will anger some, once again, some of you can't be or just refuse to be happy. Most of the facility is being constructed off site and is on schedule, the dirt work will resume as soon as I have approved the final plans. probably Dec.1st and the March 31st date will remain the same. Here is the deal guy's, if for some reason were not ready by March, we will simply open when complete, but we will run a 2012 season period.

#5) Rules?

They are posted on the web site and although they are almost in concrete, not quite. AJ Dancer, Stephan Danielson, Jimmy Dearing, and others are listening to your comments and trying real hard to put a fair set of rules in place. I appriciate all their hard work and you should also, it's not like their receiving compensation.

#6) Why won't the track respond?

This is an enormous task and a lot must be considered and although I care a great deal about all your concern, it's just not possible for me to address them all on a regular basis. I work from 5am till sometimes 10pm on racetrack, construction meetings, investor reports, financials, designs, etc. When do I spend time with my family? While responding to arguments on forums?

Closing:

I hope that some of your questions have been answered and I know I could write for hours and never answer them all. I want you to know that I have done my homework, I could not have navigated through all the financial and legal meeting if that were not the case. During one of my many meetings in Fort Worth, Bo Rouden said to me; " Danny, all the friends you have before you build this track, you will lose after it's built. They will never thank you, but will always jump you, after making a decision they don't agree with. Owning a track is a lonely business and I advise against it." How odd, I think I'm getting a taste of what he was talking about.

I want to thank all of you that have been positive through this process and especially Nick Holt for giving all of us a site to express our true feelings. No matter what you say, race car drivers and fans are passionate about the sport and I for one respect that.

Danny - If I was to ever to run a track, the Coyote (Bo) would be one first persons I would go to seek counsel from also. Like you, he raced for years and then took the reigns at operations and was successful for many years. I read an article in Circle Track a few years ago that is almost carbon of what Bo stated to you. In the article, the author stated something to the effect "So, you think you have a lot of friends and you want to run a track? Well, get ready, because you are about to lose them." I've known you a few years and you have the perfect deameanor to tackle this. Look forward to seeing you this year and giving the track a whirl. - Monty

I am sure you put alot of future questions and comments to rest Danny. Its easy to ask questions and make comments and others reading misinterprete the meaning or feeling within the comment. I have been guilty of many comments that others have read as a negative comment in the past and to be honest I have posted a many negative ones as well. Nick takes care of those. I do try to do better. I find it good that you have so many comments good or bad. It shows passion for racing and it keeps the spotlight on the racing topic. Once you start the comments will be about racing action good and bad. Alot of tracks and people believe this is going to be a really good thing for racing! Like Monty said you should do just fine. I am one that already has a home track per say but look fwd to visiting when I can. Hoping for good weather so you can meet your deadline and get her going quickly!

I am sure you put alot of future questions and comments to rest Danny. Its easy to ask questions and make comments and others reading misinterprete the meaning or feeling within the comment. I have been guilty of many comments that others have read as a negative comment in the past and to be honest I have posted a many negative ones as well. Nick takes care of those. I do try to do better. I find it good that you have so many comments good or bad. It shows passion for racing and it keeps the spotlight on the racing topic. Once you start the comments will be about racing action good and bad. Alot of tracks and people believe this is going to be a really good thing for racing! Like Monty said you should do just fine. I am one that already has a home track per say but look fwd to visiting when I can. Hoping for good weather so you can meet your deadline and get her going quickly!

Thanks, Steph

What can I say? You have a good point and sound advise, I think I will just build it and let the rest take care of itself. I appreciate all the advice, not only from you but also the many racers and fans that have expressed their feelings in a very personal manner. I am looking forward to the street stock shootout, and the Cotton Bowl Speedway is here to help any way we can. We are excited and want to be on board for all the sponsorship options that exist, just let me know.

Thanks, God Bless and remember, keep my family in prayer as I keep yours.

I decided to race Sportmods because of the rules are the same(almost) everywhere. Its also good for me because I don't have to race against guys who have 10+ years of experience at the same track. I don't care how big the track is. You will not hear any complaints from me. I know this is a incredible project and will do anything I can to help. See you in March.

Archived