Happy Thanksgiving and a PSA for a Bonus

CC57

All,

Hope you have a safe Thanksgiving holiday weekend

And to my drinking buddies….

I would like to share an experience with you about drinking and driving . As you well know, some of us have been known to have had brushes with the authorities on our way home from the odd social session over the years.

Well, I have done something about it. Last weekend I was out for a few drinks and had a few too many Jack and waters, as well a couple of Tequila shots, and some rather nice Merlot. Knowing full well I may have been slightly over the limit, I did something I've never done before –

I took a bus home.

I arrived home safely and without incident which was a real surprise since I had never driven one before.

Funny. Good thing you didn't take the trolley!

Have a happy Thanksgiving all!

Now for MY psa - and don't take it wrong - just sharing my own personal view.

I used to just deal with "whiskey dents" and was one that swore I could drive just as good with a couple brews behind the belt as others do sober.

I lost a friend in a single (.10 car pulled out in front of his motorcycle and his reaction was slow and wrong) and had another friend who took out a family of four and pulled a 12 to life (hung over four hours after last drink .80 reached down for coffee and clipped the shoulder loosing control - reaction slow wrong and oversteered). Then I picked up a dui w injury (power steering blew semi-hard throttle on a 500 hp fwd in a sweeping right that sharpened - I could not react fast enough to counter torque steer and clipped a parked car sending passenger into the windshield). Even if you CAN drive better with a measurable BAC than another can sober - you CAN NOT DRIVE BETTER THAN YOURSELF SOBER! Realizing this - since 1998 I have not ever operated with any measurable BAC - simply because when things go bad on the road (and WITH those other driver that are worse sober) - reaction time is the critical edge to survival.

It IS a personal choice - but for me I choose to have the edge when something goes wrong on the road - not leaving the edge that could be the difference between life and death on a bar stool... comparable to also having my guns fully loaded and ready - not going to gun fight with a knife etc etc etc. I have bottle of bourbon in my cupboard that is older than many guys on the forum - so this policy is even HEALTHIER lol. If F18 pilots can party and control their operating BAC to a non measurable - so can I.

Trust me when I DO drink (home party, designated driver or walk) I make up for lost time! (This past weekend I went through about 7 hurricanes, four shots and 10 beers on Bourbon Street - and that was just Saturday).

Archived