Piatek, Manuel winners of IHRA’s biggest awards

Piatek, Manuel winners of IHRA’s biggest awards

Piatek named Sportsman of the Year, Manuel Sportsman Driver of the Year

NORWALK, Ohio (October 26, 2011) – In a year filled with ups and downs, two drivers have emerged as the ultimate winners from the 2011 IHRA season as winners of the International Hot Rod Association’s biggest awards.

Myron Piatek, of Holly Hill, Fla., was named IHRA’s Sportsman of the Year – essentially IHRA’s hall of fame award – and Cameron Manuel of Winston Salem, N.C. was named the Sportsman Driver of the Year at the recent IHRA Awards Celebration held at Virginia Motorsports Park following the completion of the IHRA Summit Racing Equipment World Finals presented by RacingJunk.com.

Piatek, a longtime IHRA competitor and former World Champion in Stock, was named Sportsman of the Year for his dedication and contribution to the sport. Away from the track Piatek is considered one of the truly nice guys in the sport of drag racing, always willing to lend a helping hand.

Piatek is also a great driver on the track behind the wheel of his familiar “Locomotion” 1975 Dart. Piatek won the Stock World Championship in 2006 and had another great year this season, finishing ninth in the final Stock rankings.

“It is definitely an honor to receive this award. I have been racing with the IHRA for years and to be recognized after all these years is heartwarming,” Piatek said. "I was disappointed at my performance during the weekend, but, needless to say, the unexpected honor made my year."

Awarded since 1998, the Sportsman of the Year is awarded to drivers that show true class away from the track in addition to having success on the track.

Also putting together a tremendous year in 2011 is IHRA’s Sportsman Driver of the Year Cameron Manuel. Manuel won the Super Rod World Championship in 2010 and since has been on quite a roll in the International Hot Rod Association.

Manuel was the only driver to win two divisional championships with the Summit Pro-Am Tour this season, qualifying in Super Rod and Top Dragster. Manuel piloted his two rides to an impressive six wins in seven finals. Manuel also wrapped up the 2011 season with a semifinal appearance at the World Championships in Super Rod – good enough for a third place finish in the world.

“We had a great year in both cars. We won championships in both and finished in the top three in the world in the Super Rod car again,” Manuel said. “It has been unexpected, but we have enjoyed all the success we have had recently. Hopefully we can carry this momentum into next season and give this thing another shot.”

Manuel was the unanimous winner of the award given out to the top overall driver from the racing season.

###

Archived