We lost another great driver and friend

mfbarnes

Last night we lost a great driver, a great friend, and a true champion. Ralph "Nolan" Wren lost his battle with cancer and died last night at the medical center. We thought we were going to lose him in the 80's, but never the quitter, Nolan fought back and lived another 25 plus years. well he took the white flag last night and finished the race with his head held high.

God Bless you Nolan, the world just won't be the same without you.

I will update the forum with arrangement details as they become available.

Ralph Nolan Wren, 65 of Iola, passed away on Tuesday, in Houston. Funeral services are set for 10 am, Friday Sept. 30 at the Iola Missionary Baptist Church. Burial will follow at the Zion Cemetery. Visitation hours are 5 pm to 8 pm on Thursday at the Madisonville Funeral Home. 

Mr. Wren was born in Navasota on March 19, 1946 to Wiley & Estelle (Adams) Wren. He lived all of his life in Iola and had been a member of the Iola Missionary Baptist Church since March 22, 1964. Mr. Wren was the previous owner of Wren’s Wheel Alignment in Bryan. He was a Mason and a member of the Bedias Masonic Lodge #651 AM & FM and the Iola Lodge where he was past Master. He enjoyed restoring old cars, but his passion was racing sprint cars and watching his sons race. 

Mr. Wren was preceded in death by his parents and siblings, George Lee, Norman “Preacher” and Ann Reed. He is survived by his wife, Nora Wren of Iola; sons, Ralph Wren & wife, Terri of College Station, Troy Wren & wife, Paula of Kurten; sister, Sue Jones & husband, Jim of South Houston; sisters-in-law, Olga Portales & husband, Ray of Bedias, Jeani Stedward & Jake of Bedias; brothers-in-law, Doyle Evans & Debbie of College Station, James Evans & Becky of Iola, Ronnie Evans & Linda of Iola; four grandchildren, Kyle Wren, Jordan Wren, Jacee Wren and Tara Hackworth; one great grandson, Brayden Hackworth; numerous nieces & nephews and many friends. 

and the Iola Lodge where he was past Master. 

Visitation

Thursday September 29, 2011, 5:00 pm - 8:00pm at Madisonville Funeral Home 

Funeral Services

Friday September 30, 2011, 10:00 am. at Iola Missionary Baptist Church 

Burial

Friday September 30, 2011 at Zion Cemetery 

Last night we lost a great driver, a great friend, and a true champion. Ralph "Nolan" Wren lost his battle with cancer and died last night at the medical center. We thought we were going to lose him in the 80's, but never the quitter, Nolan fought back and lived another 25 plus years. well he took the white flag last night and finished the race with his head held high.

God Bless you Nolan, the world just won't be the same without you.

I will update the forum with arrangement details as they become available.

Sorry to hear that. Sad day........................................ :(

I drove the number 5b at Navasota. in the earl 70's.

I have pictures of all of us on the track at Mooy Clary Speedway and Heart of Texas I'll try to get posted. Ive tried three times so far my computer locks up and I loose them.

Let me ask you about Frankie and Clifford Carter Pappy Yargo and was it Bubba Snook?

I read an artical some where that some one boasted That Iola Texas was the racing capitol of Texas. It had more race car drivers per capita than any wheres else in the state. Oh lets not forget Jimmy Mc Kenny.

Frankie and Clifford Carter are still in Iola, Bubba is around there somewhere as well. I believe Pappy Yargo has passed and of course Pappy's grand son and I was just talking about Jimmy this last weekend. Frankie and Clifford follow their nephew Will around the Houston area track between Battleground to Willis. Talented young driver.

If anyone has some pictures of dad. I would love to see them and you can email them to me at twren@tamu.edu. I will also post them on here if you want me to.

Mr. CorcoranSuperMod can I ask what car you drove against dad?

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

Frankie and Clifford Carter are still in Iola, Bubba is around there somewhere as well. I believe Pappy Yargo has passed and of course Pappy's grand son and I was just talking about Jimmy this last weekend. Frankie and Clifford follow their nephew Will around the Houston area track between Battleground to Willis. Talented young driver.

If anyone has some pictures of dad. I would love to see them and you can email them to me at twren@tamu.edu. I will also post them on here if you want me to.

Mr. CorcoranSuperMod can I ask what car you drove against dad?

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

twren: Believe it or not my main ride from 69 through mid 71 was the number 4 pictured with your dad in the above photo. I think he purchased it in late 71. Prior to that we competed weekly at M/C and pretty much all over TX where they would occasionally run an open comp. [ or run what you brung]. The car was Red & white and carried the number 18. I occasionally drove the # 19 Ragin Cajin super and the # 4 super. A couple of post in this section pretty much explains it. { Moody/Clary 1968 --- 71 and Cleveland Speedway 1966 --68] The first memory I have of Nolan was a blue # 4 super with chrysler power, not sure where, maybe Huntsville Raceway? I remember him being a nice kid with a lead foot and that part never changed. I continued to follow Nolan after I left the sport. I was proud to call him my friend.

• 2 months later...

Archived