94 olds 88.

HiTech

my wifes 88 has this problem of taking awhile going into any gear when it is cold ..must warm up before it works .....had it do this last year and a trans man told me the problem was with the fluid draining back through the filter gasket ..so i changed it .and the trans worked fine ..it has maybe 8 thousand miles sense i changed that filter ..and now its back to doing it again ...sometimes it takes five minutes of running to work ..this only happens when the car sits for a few hours ...when she gets off of work .she has to go through the same warm up ..now this trains has always shifted hard into third gear ....the car has 80 thousand miles on it ..low ..............sorta thinking it may have a problem with the accumilator spring .. what do ya think....she is starting to complain ...thats never good ...

papa .tried that ......when i changed the filter and fluid at 66000 miles .it look brand new ...clean no metal ....at 85000 it has started to act up again ..it does not slip ...just wont go into any gear till it runs awhile ...so i am thinking the after market filter or gasket may not have been the right way to go ...maybe leaking to much fluid back into the pan .. but should not take so long to pull it back up ....ill check the level before my wife starts it in the morning ..see if its over ...at cold start .....i dont know if the governer is the problem .i am not that keen on automatic,s

thats a 4t60 module controlled trans (obd) - could be a processor or sensor error and not fluid related. The proper fill level is typically just above the filter base when idling hot. there should be no drainback issue. thats said though I have not worked inside any of them.

thats a 4t60 module controlled trans (obd) - could be a processor or sensor error and not fluid related. The proper fill level is typically just above the filter base when idling hot. there should be no drainback issue. thats said though I have not worked inside any of them.

this is cold start problem ..hot or warmed up she is fine ...just have to get it looked at..

Mike

Just go dig up some of that money you have buried in the back yard and buy the wife a new car. :lol:

one problem ..cant remember where i burrrrrrrried it ....old timers memory ..you know what i mean....figured it would draw about as much interest as being in a bank ..with taxes and all taken what interest it would make .......besides my wife likes this car ...or did lol.. she will get a new one next year ....but new cars are not much better than this one ..and five times as costly... in fact we were buying a fairly new car when we ran across this one ..could not turn the deal down ..real cheap .i mean really cheap..so cheap no one in their right mind would have turned the deal down ...

this is cold start problem ..hot or warmed up she is fine ...just have to get it looked at..

Thats what makes me think it may be processor or sensor related - in open loop it does not select a gear, but once transitioned to closed loop it works! I saw many issues when Olds used the thermo vaccumm switches to control the shift module - the computer added a whole new layer of fault areas. Especially OBD as the trans module is separate from the main ecu. Unfortunately the only way to tell is to read real time data - OBD does not store and report as completely or easily as OBDII. In other words a malfunction does not always mean a stored code or MIL activation - especially in non emission parameters.

Thats what makes me think it may be processor or sensor related - in open loop it does not select a gear, but once transitioned to closed loop it works! I saw many issues when Olds used the thermo vaccumm switches to control the shift module - the computer added a whole new layer of fault areas. Especially OBD as the trans module is separate from the main ecu. Unfortunately the only way to tell is to read real time data - OBD does not store and report as completely or easily as OBDII. In other words a malfunction does not always mean a stored code or MIL activation - especially in non emission parameters.

first thing i did was check fluid level with motor off ..i know it will be higher ....started it up and pulled down to level right off .so looking in the wrong place ....i checked the vacuum.no leak.. at thermo switch ..not saying that it isn't sticking .....dont think the govenor would have anything to do with this problem .or could it .

Archived