muncie problem

bigpace85

Ok guys I have come on here a few times before and I get more info from you guys then anywhere else so here is my problem. I have a muncie 3 speed transmission which has reverse, low and high gears for forward. All I know is that it is a 3 speed and they call it a muncie rock crushed. Now the problem is when I start the car I push the clutch pedal all the way down and attempt to put it into gear weather it be low high or reverse it just grinds. But if I shut the car off it goes into gear just fine I checked the clutch which is brand new and everything seems fine, also the clutch is hydraulic. But when I turn the car off and put it in gear and then try to start it it drives so I know the transmission is not broke. So please help me am I missing somthing when we put the new clutch disc in did we hook somthing up wrong? Im stumped. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

you have ..one of these problems..........air in you clutch master cylinder system ..or one the slave cylinder is worn or leaking ..or your master cylinder is worn out or all the above .. try pumping the pedal a few times with car running ..then try and put it into gear on your last pump ...if it goes into gear you are for sure need to replace either or both master and slave ....if you can afford it .its always better to replace both ..also dont know how you system is rigged up ..but if it the slave is mounted out side of the trans .check the throw when you push the pedal down .. to make sure it is fully ingauging.....

agreed with above though sounds like your just out of adjustment, this an internal slave or an external? internals will use shims or a thicker throwout bearing where on some externals you will need to adjust the pivot ball and push rod( sometimes they have a adjustment sleve. basicly If there is no air in the system then you need to figure out hoe to get the bearing closer to the pressure plate fingers

The Muncie rock crusher is the M22 close ratio four speed. Called the rock crusher because it has straight cut teeth (helicals which are diagonal to the gear run quieter but have a larger parasitic torque loss) and thus makes a rock crushing noise when you hammer down on it.

You may have put the throw out (slave set) in wrong, or the disc in backwards (the disc would then be shoved all the way against the flywheel so that even if clutch throw is correct it won't truly disengage - please refrain from asking how many times it took for me to learn THAT one), or got the wrong clutch set and the throws are too shallow for the throwout.

The Muncie rock crusher is the M22 close ratio four speed. Called the rock crusher because it has straight cut teeth (helicals which are diagonal to the gear run quieter but have a larger parasitic torque loss) and thus makes a rock crushing noise when you hammer down on it.

You may have put the throw out (slave set) in wrong, or the disc in backwards (the disc would then be shoved all the way against the flywheel so that even if clutch throw is correct it won't truly disengage - please refrain from asking how many times it took for me to learn THAT one), or got the wrong clutch set and the throws are too shallow for the throwout.

cant help it .....ill ask how many times .lol...... we all have ran into those problems........makes you pull your hair out .. another thing ......i have had a small rock get into the pressure plate and jam it ....or rivets from the pressure plate and have disk aswell come apart and jam it .. brand new stuff at that .......and i am sure others out there have other horror storys to tell...

cant help it .....ill ask how many times .lol...... we all have ran into those problems........makes you pull your hair out .. another thing ......i have had a small rock get into the pressure plate and jam it ....or rivets from the pressure plate and have disk aswell come apart and jam it .. brand new stuff at that .......and i am sure others out there have other horror storys to tell...

Three that I will admit to being the one who picked which way the plate went! After the first I memorized long side of spline hub forward - but unfortunately that's not always the case either - especially in the big trucks.

• 1 month later...

Ok i replaced the slave cylinder amd the master cylinder and it still grinds and will not ho into gear while the engine is running. So i did a little research and i think i screwed up when converting from a automatic to a manuel i did not install a pilot bearing into the crankshaft. So what i am wondering is that my problem here?

Ok i replaced the slave cylinder amd the master cylinder and it still grinds and will not ho into gear while the engine is running. So i did a little research and i think i screwed up when converting from a automatic to a manuel i did not install a pilot bearing into the crankshaft. So what i am wondering is that my problem here?

heck yes ..we didnt know you changed that till now.. if you dont have a pilot bearing .THE SHAFT CANT STAY IN ALINEMENT ..THE DISK WILL FLOP AROUND WHEN YOU PUSH THE PEDAL IN ..YOU CAN KNOCK THE SHAFT BEARING OUT .AS OTHER PARTS INSIDE THE TRANS .I WOULD CHECK THAT TRANS OUT BEFORE PUTTING IT BACK IN ..JUST TO BE SAFE .YOU MOST LIKELY DIDNT HURT ANYTHING SEEING YOU HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO GET IT INTO GEAR ..BUT CHECK IT JUST THE SAME .PILOT BEARING IS ONE OF THE MOST OVER LOOKED ITEMS WHEN PEOPLE CHANGE CLUTCHES OR FROM AUTO TO MANUAL.GOOD LUCK ...

heck yes ..we didnt know you changed that till now.. if you dont have a pilot bearing .THE SHAFT CANT STAY IN ALINEMENT ..THE DISK WILL FLOP AROUND WHEN YOU PUSH THE PEDAL IN ..YOU CAN KNOCK THE SHAFT BEARING OUT .AS OTHER PARTS INSIDE THE TRANS .I WOULD CHECK THAT TRANS OUT BEFORE PUTTING IT BACK IN ..JUST TO BE SAFE .YOU MOST LIKELY DIDNT HURT ANYTHING SEEING YOU HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO GET IT INTO GEAR ..BUT CHECK IT JUST THE SAME .PILOT BEARING IS ONE OF THE MOST OVER LOOKED ITEMS WHEN PEOPLE CHANGE CLUTCHES OR FROM AUTO TO MANUAL.GOOD LUCK ...

Ok will do thanks for the info but atleast i know why it wont shift into gear now. Thank god.

Archived